cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network locked SIM card inserted

TML2016
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello, I just transferred my SIM to a new phone (worked in the prior phone) and it says network locked sim card inserted. The phone I bought was supposed to be unlocked. I just activated this week.

Is this an issue with the phone or could it be an issue with the SIM? 

I had in a blackberry, now it is in a Samsung G6.

7 REPLIES 7

It's definitely locked to some cell phone provider.  If it were unlocked, the phone would not be saying network locked/invalid sim/asking for aa network NCK code.   Being unlocked doesn't always mean compatible but even an incompatible phone wouldn't give you such an error message; it just wouldn't be able to connect to your network.

In the past, there have been phones that have been "personalized".  A personalized cell phone differed from an unlocked phone by that it would only work with one other company's sim card.  Because of that, you really need to try sim cards from at least 2 other providers other than the original locked carrier.  I haven't seen a "personalized" phone in a while, but it's always still a possiblity, especially if it's an older model.

jgorman
Definitely sounds like the phone is locked

Kaiyo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
If you try another company you can rule out if it's locked or not. You know it's not locked to Telus/Koodo. So it leaves Bell (and subsidiaries) and Rogers (and subsidiaries), it's probably not wind.

TML2016

does it have to be another company? tried another public mobile, didnt work

Kaiyo

You can try different companies' sim (if you have any to try). That way you can rule out if it's locked or not. 

TML2016

Bought it from a cell phone reseller... ill have to go back tomorrow...

any instructions if not locked?

Kaiyo

Most likely your phone is locked. Where did you buy it from?

Need Help? Let's chat.