cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to another province. Can I change the area code but keep the same number?

parruda
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there 🙂

My wife and I just moved from Ottawa to Halifax, and I was wondering if there is a way to use the same numbers and just change the area code from 613 to 902 (or 782). Is that possible?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

There are a few issues at play here:

First, the prefix (first 3 numbers after the code) must be assign for use by Telus, or you would have to find out which carrier (if any) has that block of numbers.  If that prefix belongs to another carrier, you would then need to port it over to Public Mobile.

Even after figuring out if that phone number exists and which carrier it belongs to, the odds are you will be able to get that phone number, It would probably already been assigned to someone else for use.  Really, the best you could hope for would be a similar phone number, although you chances of success would be slightly better with the newer area code.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is possible but not probable.  The particular number would have be not already taken and available in the Public Mobile pool.  I would put it in the same realm as winning a big jackpot in a lottery. 

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@parruda

I'm not sure if you could do such a thing.  PM only has a set number of #'s they have access to, which you are able to see by logging into self-serve, selecting your local calling area and scrolling through what's available.

You could try calling the number yourself and seeing if it rings through to an active line.  However, even if available I doubt that PM would have access to such a specific number.  I think only the moderators would be able to let you know about specific number availability.

You can send them a private message using the following link: @CS_Agent, provide them with your name, account number and an explanation of your request or a link to this thread, and they'll get back to you by tomorrow morning.

EDIT: @Mana beat me to it.

Mana
Mayor / Maire

@parruda, I don't think it's possible to keep the same number and just change the area code.

It is highly unlikely that the same number with a different area code would be available for assignment to you. 

However, when you go online to change your number, you can check if a number with the same last 4 digits is available. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks

Need Help? Let's chat.