cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile WiFi device connection

Marillionnut1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all,

I’m trying to use my new SIM card with my Huawei mobile WiFi device but I’m not getting any connection to the network. My account is all live and have data credit on the sim. The device is about 5 yrs old but has been used in many other countries before this one and usually just connects. Any suggestions or solutions out there please?

many thanks

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Acekiller wrote:

maybe a factory reset is needed? like the LG phones?

@Acekiller not if the posted specs are correct.  PM requires at least 850MHz and 1900MHz 3G UMTS/HSDPA/W-CDMA frequencies to work.  Period.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

maybe a factory reset is needed? like the LG phones?

srlawren

Thanks @austinhuang.  So, if those specs are correct, then my option #2 was indeed correct and this device is entirely incompatible with Public Mobile.  No amount of tinkering is going to resolve that, unfortunately @Marillionnut1😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Marillionnut1 wrote:

It’s a Huawei E586 and it is unlocked.

E586 should be incompatible with Public Mobile.

The IMEI checker might report false positives, which happened to one of my Huawei device as well.

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

Marillionnut1

It’s a Huawei E586 and it is unlocked. I’m guessing it could be to do with the APN settings, just now trying to figure out to make the great info in the link provided by mynameejc to fit into the settings!

rahmedkanak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

+1, Exactly.

srlawren

@Marillionnut1 what's the brand and model number of your wifi hotspot device?  You said it was used in other countries--I'm thinking one of two possible things, possibly both:

1) it may be locked to the provider you original used it with (less likely, or...)

2) it may not be compatible with Public Mobile's network (more likely)

If you list the model we can help determined #2

mynamejc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Have you checked the APN settings?

https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile

Marillionnut1

Thanks for the reply,

No, don’t get any connection at all. I’m just going to try it in my new-ish iPhone SE which I’m presuming will work.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I would imagine a 5 year old device would have limited if any LTE compatibility for Canada.  Are you able to connect on 3G.

Need Help? Let's chat.