cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile App for Community Forum

jairolevi
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hello PM Community 

Which app do you guys use to keep track of the forum posts in the Community Forum?

I know there is an idea in the Lab to get a PM App for the self serve, but I am asking about which app do you guys use for this forum.

I noticed this is built on Lithium, so I tried their app... no go.

Screenshot_2016-04-10-16-22-57.pngScreenshot_2016-04-10-16-22-57.png

I also tried other bloging / forum apps like TapaTalk... no go.

The closest I could get was to add the RSS feed to Feedly, which is OK to read the forum, but does not help me if I want to reply to a question.

I think questions would get answers more quickly if we could reply from mobile, this would help the whole community.

Thank you,

JL.

18 REPLIES 18

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @srlawren,

Thanks for your post. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only person encountering the compression quirk.

Your description of how you enjoy opening new posts in new threads in new tabs certainly sounds complicated. That's far far beyond what my Moto G can do!

Enjoy!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Martin yes I get that mobile Chrome issue when posting, too.  It's a quirk of their compression system.  You can turn the compression off, but you will end up using more mobile data as a result.  As it does seem to actually post the reply, I don't really worry about it.

PS since people are weighing in--I do 95+% of my community browsing and replying in a desktop browser (Chrome), as I like opening up all the threads with new posts into new tabs and then going through them one after another.  That's really tough to do on mobile!  I do use the mobile site on occasion if I see a reply notification to a post I've participated in that I feel a burning issue to reply right away--but I don't care much for the experience so use it sparingly.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Martin I am referring to the full site not the mobile site on mobile. Other than crashing, if i mistakenly click add image or video button, it would not fully show up and basically it gets stuck...thats i why i prefer desktop when replying to posts.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @NDesai,

When I post, I usually encounter a quirk if I'm using mobile data. Upon clicking "Post" the first time, I encounter an error message that Chrome couldn't compress the message, and I should press the back button. When I do, my intended post is where I left it. I then press "Post" again, and my post is published. I never encounter the preceding when using WiFi.

FYI.

I also browse full version on mobile just like @imm1304 However, I use desktop more often because on my mobile, website crashes alot of times when replying.

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi @imm1304,

Thank you for your very kind words. 🙂

Cheers.

imm1304

Humble, polite, insightful and always ready to help.  That's @Martin the super oracle.  

Have a wonderful afternoon. 

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi @imm1304,

Thank you for regarding me as a fount of Public Mobile information, but there's a very significant qualifier. I'm just an average person who has amassed the greatest number of Bravos by virtue of having the second-oldest membership in the community, that is, since 2015-02-04.

Though I access only the mobile version, I, too, "enter" the full version a few times daily. That is problematic because the font, on a 5" screen, is so small that it leads to eye strain. That said, there are certain features in the full version lacking in its mobile counterpart, and I enjoy exploring the former.

Cheers.

imm1304

Thanks @Martin for your input.  I figured I ask your opinion since you are the best person to get a comment from on all things PM.  🙂  

I access from my mobile half the time using Chrome browser... but I go to the desktop view to see the notifications.  

However, I must say this community participation really comes to life when I keep one tab open in the background from my laptop while doing other work.  

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hi,

I access the community using only my phone whose browser is Chrome.

Perhaps my needs are different than those of other members, but I'm satisfied with the mobile version of the community as is. That doesn't mean that I would be dissatisfied if changes were made for the better, but, to reiterate using different terms, the status quo serves my mobile needs.

Cheers.

jairolevi

I got the RSS feeds imported in Feedly as a workaround, that is the closest I could get.

This is how it looks like in case someone is interested in doing the same, the only drawback is that now I have to import the French RSS feeds too.

• This is how Feedly looks in Mobile:

Feedly 1.png

• If I want to see a particular reply I tap on it:

Feedly 2.png

• If I want to reply I tap "Visit Website"

Feedly 3.png

As an added bonus, it is synced with my desktop Feedly:

Feedly.GIF

I have also made the request to have the "Ez Forum" app be compatible with Lithium, but I dont have high hopes on that.

Maybe if you would find it usefull too, could you let the developer know you would like it too? Here is the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.diginine.ezforum&hl=en

Thank you,

JL

It seems at this moment the best option is to just use the browser.

imm1304

I am sure @jairolevi gets it crystal clear that a native app doesn't exist.

There are a few apps in the playstore such as tapatalk, which allow users to sign into multiple forums at once... for example, tapatalk can be used to sign into xda and rfd forums and some others too.  

But, the OP did not succeed in using 2 such apps to sign into the PM community forum.  

So, @7789849803's answer stands.. no native app, use web browser.. and add my 2 cents of using the Full version.  😄  

@jairolevi At the risk of sounding like a broken record:

PM doesn't currently offer a native app for any platform that would allow you to browse the community. So the only way to use the community is to visit it on a web browser on any device

imm1304

Hi @7789849803!

Just something along the lines of my previous post... how do u use community form your phone.  Any tips to make mobile community access more convenient. 

I guess for me, one tip I would give is to click on "Full" version of the site and not the mobile view.  I find it easier to see notifications, inbox, latest posts etc.  

jairolevi

@7789849803 I know PM does not offer an app. I am wondering what do you guys use for the forum in mobile.

I tried the browser, but is tedious, doesn't have notifications, and is ugly ( it looks like a 90's site )

Screenshot_2016-04-10-19-10-23.png

I am sure someone must have a better option than this, that is why I ask, what do you guys use for Mobile?

12ai68.jpg

I don't see what the confusion is here. PM doesn't currently offer a native app for any platform that would allow you to browse the community. So the only way to use the community is to visit it on a web browser on any device. Can someone please help me understand the underlying question or uncertainty?

jairolevi

Also not counting that the French forum seems to be a separate entity, which means separate RSS feeds...

I hope @Martin can give us some ideas 🙂

JL

imm1304

Hey @jairolevi,

I used the mobile browser to reach the main community page, signed in and then saved a shortcut to the home screen on my phone.  I also made sure to click on the full site and not the mobile site.  

Also, our super active Oracle @Martin is a power user of a mobile phone to post on the Community pages, I request him to comment here as well.  

Need Help? Let's chat.