cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance issue for people calling me

lpesowski
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

When some people call me from either a landline or a mobile phone it tells them the number is long distance and to add 1. When they do that; it tells them that it's not long distance and not to add 1. It doesn't matter if the caller is local or not but the same people are always impacted. 

4 REPLIES 4

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@lpesowski wrote:

When some people call me from either a landline or a mobile phone it tells them the number is long distance and to add 1. When they do that; it tells them that it's not long distance and not to add 1. It doesn't matter if the caller is local or not but the same people are always impacted. 

If long distance charge is decided by the other carrier when people call you.  What city is your number from?  Area code and first few numbers? If city is different, it might be long distance.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I do not believe this has been resolved.  Long distance charges are based on where the call originates, and where it is received, and also depends on whether the phone plan has limited or unlimited calling, and the area code of the the device being called.

Landlines typically do not inclue long distance on long time installations, but do now.  Cellular phones have various calling plans, so it could be almost anything causing this problem.

As you’re using a Public Mobile phone plan, you will not incur charges on anyone calling you, unless you’re on one of the limited calling plans where you will run out of minutes, and to be charged, you actually need to purchase the minutes ahead of time.

if someone is calling you from a phone located in the same local calling area as you phone number, either on a landline or mobile phone, there will be no cost to them on normal calling packages.

in the same scenario, if the are calling you from a mobile phone, no matter what number they have, the call will also be no extra cost.

If you take your phone out of your local calling area, anyone you know from your local area will still be able to call you at no cost, however, someone in the new area where you are will have to call long distance to reach you.

While you are in a different area than your own local calling area, you will be able to call any local number you wish locally, and long distance back to your local area.

And finally, if you and a friend with the same local callling area go on a trip to a different calling area, calling would be long distance between you if not covered by your plan.

The only other issue that I can think that may be related, are you on a relatively new area code and prefix?  Some carriers, Public Mobile included, do not update calling area information quickly.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@lpesowski wrote:

What area code are you using? xxx-xxx

chrisbasm
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@lpesowskiAre all of these people calling from the same area?  Same phone/cell company?  It would be strange if multiple people were getting that message, and the problem was from their side.  If it is really multiple people using different services, then i would suggest you get in touch with the moderator team, and ask them to look into it.  Gather up all of the information you can, since this sounds like it might be hard to track down.

You can click here to send a private message to the moderator team.

Need Help? Let's chat.