cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo now calling PM customers to switch?

MK78
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just received a call claiming to be from Koodo, to offer the $50 5GB and nationwide  calling deal for PM customers.

The caller was quite pushy and I told him that it's not just $10 more, because I'm getting quite a sizeable discount from referral & community points, also that I still have 2 months left on my prepaid, he said they would transfer that back into credit, but I somehow highly doubt that...

It's not right to treat customers who have legitimately taken an offer that the company now considers too cheap, and not enough revenue generating, and be blasting us with SMS and now calls to switch...

45 REPLIES 45

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@RLBL,

Interesting take on this.

RLBL

True... unfortunately sometimes we think an offer is better and switch, then afterwards realize the offer was not actually better but we got caught up with a dangling carrot in front of our eyes without realizing we were not hungry in the 1st place.

Too many analogies

Basically:

• Someone who has 4GB a month gets interested in a 5GB a month plan, and they only use 3
  • Someone who has province wide gets enticed by a nation wide calling plan, but forgets they barely call or travel outside the province
  • Someone who has been inconvenienced by a province wide plan, but does not understand VoIP/LTE with 3rd party apps (like hangouts, freephone, fongo etc...)

etc... sometimes we have to change our habits, and often knowing this, we as people gravitate towards simplicity and do not mind (or do not know) it comes with a cost (how many times have you heard: "I want to stay with my incumbents because I want a call center", when they either barely use it, and when they have to, it is because the incumbents provided less than stellar service which is why they needed to call!}

Michael77

Koodo would have to make a better offer for most of the $38/4 gig customers to switch over to them.

RLBL

To the thread:

• From a business perspective, it does not make sense for one branch to be offering more service for the same price or less
  • From a user perspective, it makes no sense whatsoever to pay more for the same or less.

If people need more data and are paying for add-ons, sure it makes perfect sense.  But if that is a "once in a while" to "never" occurrence, people on the promo who switch are often not thinking about the fact they are going to paying more every month for a service they may never use.  Some people get a warm fuzzy by knowing that if they ever need it is there (regardless whether they ever need it, or not).  Sounds a like jumping over dollars to save nickels if you asked me.

Some people like the convenience of cross-Canada calling. I for one do not think of my phone as a phone, but rather a pocket computer that happens to be able to make calls (one of the many functions it can do).  My phone app is just that, an app. Thinking about it that way, one would realize they can use ANY app to make or receive a call (and they do not have to be the same app).  I am reminded of all the people who would switch all of their services to the same provider (like Rogers) for the convenience of having everything on "one bill", not realizing they are paying for that convenience. Again, jumping over dollars to save nickles.

RLBL

@jitt wrote:

Has anyone received this offer recently either via text or call?

Wondering if they're still adding more people to the offer given the new plans they announced recently.

Yes I received the offer just last week.  No I have no plans on switching. For my situation it makes no sense.

Kayfun101

For the price your paying too public mobile for a 90 day plan people can save too buy a phone out right and then put a SIM card in and be free off added worry is my bill going to skyrocket out of control if CBC market place has told me good info too how sneaky contracts are I could of saved a crap load earlier in life but I was stupid and young punk 

jitt
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Has anyone received this offer recently either via text or call?

Wondering if they're still adding more people to the offer given the new plans they announced recently.

Michael77

@srlawren,

I would also like to know the success rate too. 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@shawnie_boy wrote:

the current koodo offer is not good enough to switch. They would need to offer 5gb for the same $40 a month or maybe slightly more. Koodo doesn't really offer anything more. They don't have VOLTE or roam like home either. 

@shawnie_boy well the point of the exercise, from parent Telus's perspective, is to actually increase their ARPU by getting people to pay more.  So I think they are unlikely to offer you more for the same price, but don't mind chipping in a little extra if you're willing to pony up the extra $10.  It *can* be a win-win, but only if you need the extra data and/or canada-wide unlimited calling and/or access to a tab for phone purchasing and/or access to retail locations & call centre for support.  They figure those things add value, but of course they will not be of value to everyone.  Many of us that chose PM in the first place did so explicitly because we *didn't* need those things, and were okay giving them up to save some money.  But, Telus has little to lose by offering it up, at least.  

I would be curious to hear what the success rate is with the campaign, but I'm sure that will never be released.  I'm betting it will be relatively small.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

shawnie_boy

the current koodo offer is not good enough to switch. They would need to offer 5gb for the same $40 a month or maybe slightly more. Koodo doesn't really offer anything more. They don't have VOLTE or roam like home either. 

jeffster1970

I still haven't gotten a call from anyone, nor a text. 

Unsure if I would switch at the moment, only thing I am missing is Canada-Wide calling. And I did buy some minutes but haven't used that many yet. 

Kayfun101

I am on my second year with pm and I can see the savings I am earning and not having too worry about a ow **bleep** cellphone bill at the end of the month is a win win now I can think about myself more and work with out worry if anyone wants me too work so keeping my cellphone on is paramount I work in arena we're I live in the city here and they do concerts here so wean people don't come in I told my boss too keep me on call

jshmeek

I've also got a similar plan and I'm getting a much lower rate then whats currently available. But like most people here, I'm just looking for a better deal. I'm not partial to one company. If a better deal comes up, I'm not afraid to leave. But I won't leave just because of one cell company's practices. They all play the same games and by the same rules.

Kayfun101

I now I got a older plan that I still get my service for 117 with auto pay so I am still saving money here if you feel that way about public the best option for you is too leave 

jshmeek
@Kayfun101 wrote:

I think that this whole thing is stupid there customer base will switch so there sweating now they have competition people with no contract will switch and never look back and now there getting destroyed from the inside out the cute little mascot is gone the stupid commercials are gone and not much else keeping them from going under so with pm expansion too Walmart and wow mobile in every mall and Walmart they are sweating 

I don't think so. Freedom has everything it needs to expand and succeed now. They're owned by Shaw, so investment and expansion won't be an issue anymore. What matters though is how soon that takes place. Once they've got LTE coverage in every place they have home network, and it isn't limited to Band 66 in some of their markets, lots of people will move over.

Public is the one showing it's roots with the price hikes and limited promotions (both in quantity and in focus). The "Less for Less" nonsense and 3G plans.

Kayfun101

I think that this whole thing is stupid there customer base will switch so there sweating now they have competition people with no contract will switch and never look back and now there getting destroyed from the inside out the cute little mascot is gone the stupid commercials are gone and not much else keeping them from going under so with pm expansion too Walmart and wow mobile in every mall and Walmart they are sweating 

@MK78 every carrier does this

Rogers has a little bit more protection but Telus / Bell are wide open

No idea on Freedom but I suspect open

@MK78 wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

@MK78 it is NOT Public, it is the DEALERS trying to get commission

What sucks is that PM or Telus is exposing our numbers to the dealers.

MK78

@kav2001c wrote:

What sucks is that PM or Telus is exposing our numbers to the dealers.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Kayfun101

It sounds like a crappy deal I have been screwed over by telus and koodo mobile in the past and never again will I ever go with them I had a bill of 320 doller with koodo and telus was way worse so public is my happy place and never leaving my happy place ever again virgin mobile is bad and hell I love having no contract and only paying 504 a year and I will buy a iPhone 8 for this service now 

srlawren

@Rustynayl here's the thing...  at $165/90 days, you're already paying $55.76 per calendar month for your current service at PM.  So it's not really in their financial interest to offer you up a plan at Koodo for $5 less per month that includes more data, canada-wide calling, and access to call centre, retail stores, and phone tabs, all of which cost them money.  They are trying to move people up to paying more, rather than the opposite as your situation would be.  So, unfortunately, I wouldn't hold my breath for getting this offer if I were you.  😞

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rustynayl
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm quite surprised they aren't targeting the customers who aren't on the fall promo. For example, I'm on the slightly **bleep**tier promo $165 for 90 days... someone like me would probably be easier to convince than the people who are paying $120 or less for the same thing... 😕

@will13am  They know you want to stay, so didnt even bother to contact you.  

@mimmo wrote:

No call to me as well.  @will13am, @ShawnC13 maybe the database  query is users != .001% or .05% as they don't want to loose the forum support members 🙂

@mimmo, you are a conspiracy theorist.  Public Mobile scratched our names off the database so that we won't get called perhap?

mimmo

No call to me as well.  @will13am, @ShawnC13 maybe the database  query is users != .001% or .05% as they don't want to loose the forum support members 🙂

@will13am, I have not received the call or text either.  My wife has and they are offering her the 5GB for $50 which is crazy!!  She barely uses 1GB over 90 days sometimes close to 2GB.  It doesn't make sense that they wouldn't look at usage.  Basically I guess they are trying to draw her with the ability to get a phone on a Tab.  Now for a phone call if I got one and the rep was really pushy I would make sure I got their name at the beginning of the call just in case that happened.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@will13am Robot LOL

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am I'm pretty sure I heard @Jeremy_M mentioned the database query said something like "all active PM customers except where community username = '@will13am'"  🙂  😉

Aw, how do I change my name without losing my rewards?  Need help from moderator_team.

srlawren

@will13am I'm pretty sure I heard @Jeremy_M mentioned the database query said something like "all active PM customers except where community username = '@will13am'"  🙂  😉

@Jeremy_M wrote:

@srlawren

@srlawren wrote:

@Jeremy_M are Koodo reps supposed to be calling PM customers about the offer? My understanding it was being offered up by text message only.

Yes, Koodo reps are calling certain PM customers about the offer. Some will receive a text and some a call from an authorized dealer. 

Jeremy

@Jeremy_M, just curious, what is the screening criteria for receiving this offer?  Not that I want to go anywhere, but I am really feeling left out here. 

Need Help? Let's chat.