cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Koodo Porting - Questions and Process

mylabmax
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello, 

I received my sim and will be activating it tomorrow.  Eventually, I will port my koodo number.  I have 2 questions.

1.  My phone is locked with Koodo.  Can I leave it locked or do I have to unlock it?

2.  I read that Koodo porting is not as seamless as other networks.  Does any one have a step by step process to do this?

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mylabmax quite understandable, that's a big cost of entry to switch ships on that line, and would take a very long time (3 years by my calculation) to recoup at a savings of only $7 per month.  Personally, I would probably stick wtih Virgin in that case, but the decision is ultimately yours of course, and we'd love to have you join the PM family if you choose to do so.  Cheers.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mylabmax

@srlawren@Luddite, in terms of the plan, PM is miles ahead of the Virgin Moblie plan and I will be paying $7 less a month.  The current tab balance is $200+ and an unlock fee as well of $50.  That is why the decision is very hard.  If the tab balance is half, it will be a no brainer.

@mylabmax My thinkling is different: focus on the Virgin plan cost without the tab vs Public Mobile. That is your real long term savings. I would be surprised if it did not make sense to pay off the balance and change now.

CAVEAT: have Virgin unlock your phone first. Only unlocked, or Telus/Koodo, locked phones opearte on PM.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@mylabmax indeed.  Basically take your outstanding device balance, divide it by the number of months remaining, and if that number is less than the amount you would save per month by switching to PM, then go for it.  If it's more, then it may not be worth it.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mylabmax

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Still debating if I wll be transferring my other line with Virgin.  Still has a tab balance and weighing the member discounts offered.

But so far, satisfied with the LTE speed. Smiley Happy

srlawren

@mylabmax that's wonderful news, welcome aboard 🙂

imm1304

Happy to hear that your new line activation and porting from Koodo was painless and quick.  

Welcome officially to PM!  See you around the community pages.  

mylabmax

Activation and porting done.  @srlawren@srlawren@imm1304,  Thank you for all the help you provided.  It was painless and quick.

srlawren

@mylabmax theoretically you could do the port as part of your activation.  I think the reason many of us experience community members recommend doing an activation first with a temporary number is to simplify the troubleshooting if anything goes wrong.  You will know for sure if it's an activation issue or a porting issue, based on when you notice the issue.  I like to suggest to people to activate first, then put in their PM SIM and do a quick test of all the features they selected--make and receive a call, send and receive a text message, browse some data.  Only once confident those all work and the phone is configured, THEN do the port.  This also means if there were any activation or phone issues, you still have your old carrier SIM fully activated you can revert to.  This *should* be the case prior to a port request completing as well, but it's just a bit safer, and easier to troubleshoot.

mylabmax

Will do.  Perfect timing on the promo as well.

imm1304

You're welcome, again 🙂  

Look forward to welcoming you officially to the PM.  Leave us an update here tomorrow.  

mylabmax

Again, thank you @imm1304

imm1304

@mylabmax, yes you can port your number right away.  Once your new PM line is up and running, just sign into selfserve and port the number.  It only takes a few minutes for most people.  Good luck!

mylabmax

Also, can I port it on the same day after account setup?  or should I wait the next day until payment has been applied?

mylabmax

@srlawren@Rockdaddy22, Thanks for the info.  I just want to make sure that the transfer goes smoothly. 

srlawren

@mylabmax I agree with @Rockdaddy22:  just enter your Koodo account number, an alternate contact phone number (can be anything other than your own #--a home phone, a spouse's phone, a work #, a parent's phone, anything really), and finally your name exactly as it appears on your Koodo bills or online system.

Rockdaddy22
You don't really need it, account number is good enough

mylabmax

Hello, 

Finally, porting my Koodo number tomorrow.  My question is, what PIN is needed?  Is this the VM PIN?

Rockdaddy22
Great to know, thank you. 🙂

imm1304

@Rockdaddy22, the PC mobile's postpaid service operates on Telus network.  

Rockdaddy22
Wait a minute, I don't think PC mobile phones will work on PM, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

tdotloco
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

1. Any phone that is locked to Telus, Koodo, or PC mobile, will also work with Public Mobile without any unlocking needed.

2. Best recomendations for this process are to have as much information as possible when prompted to provide details about your old koodo account. Also, use a different account.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, pick a new random number when activating your sim for the first time. Then later once payment has been made, try porting your number. This will avoid any payments accidentally going to your old Koodo account. This happened to me. Avoid it because I had to wait a whole month to get a refund. The funds went just up in the air somewhere on Telus MVNO's databases.

mylabmax

Hi @imm1304,

Thank you for the quick response.  I will keep in mind your recommendation and will definitely us a different email address.

Thanks

imm1304

Hi @mylabmax!

1. You can use your Koodo locked phone without unlocking. PM and Koodo operate on the same Telus network.  

2.  I have personally ported a Koodo number to PM and it was absolutely smooth and seamless and the entire process took just minutes.  

One key suggestion is to make sure that you use a different email address than the one linked to your Koodo account.  

Sign up with PM using this different email address, select any random new number and complete the activation.  Confirm that you have service.  

Now, sign into your PM selfserve and do the port request: Plans & add-ons >> Change phone number. 

You will need Koodo account number, PIN and the phone number (obviously). 

I look forward to welcoming you to PM soon.  Let us know how it goes, there are moderators availabel during the day to step in and help if needed.  

Need Help? Let's chat.