cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got 5G / $40 New Koodo Offer

steven1979
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am from Ottawa, and I  have already switched to 4G/ $40 plan. Last week I went to Koodo store to see if I can get this new offer, but they won't give it to me. Saying I have to have the original text from public mobile and this promo is not for Ontario. However, I want to try harder so I called the Koodo customer service today, providing that promo code. then the guy just changed my 4G/ $40 plan to  the 5G/$40 without any questions. But He charged me $20 one time fee for plan change. Anyone wishes to get this new offer, please call koodo customer service and negotiate with them.You will get it. I believe we all derseve this new offer.

koodo.JPG

12 REPLIES 12

"Shock-Free Data" is straightforward.

I wonder if it extends to "Shock-Free Roaming" or just plain "Shock-Free Billing", should the need ever arise.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@sbreakin @torontokris I'm 99.9% sure that if you have your network locked to Koodo using manual network selection, turning off roaming data is superflous. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@torontokriswrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@torontokriswrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@sbreakin 

And set your phone to Data Roaming = OFF 

If you need it on you can switch it on, but I find it safer to turn it OFF by default

@torontokris I don't *think* that's necessary if you have the network locked to Koodo.  You just should not end up on an american tower at all so should not get any unexpected roaming even if you leave data roaming on.

True but I meant in general terms its better/safer to have your phone set to Data Roaming = Off.

Some good idea as I tend to err on side of caution too. 

So far I didn't sign up for the 'easy roam' or whatever it's called yet as we don't pop down to US too often. But once I have I had planned on turning off roaming or maybe use airplane mode & then turn on only wifi.  

Hopefully wouldn't need to lock onto Koodo only as I understand that one can still receive texts while away for free even if have not signed up for the easy roam.  I think this is because they send you data use & opportunities to say Yes type texts while you are away. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawrenwrote:

@torontokriswrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@sbreakin 

If you need it on you can switch it on, but I find it safer to turn it OFF by default

@torontokris I don't *think* that's necessary if you have the network locked to Koodo.  You just should not end up on an american tower at all so should not get any unexpected roaming even if you leave data roaming on.

True but I meant in general terms its better/safer to have your phone set to Data Roaming = Off.

srlawren

@torontokriswrote:

@srlawrenwrote:

@sbreakin one small note about the pro of PM not having any unexpected roaming charges:  for those that do switch to Koodo, if you want a safety net here, you can switch your phone from automatic network selection to manual, and select the Koodo network.  Then if you happen to be near (or south of) the border, you will just get no signal rather than it kicking over into roaming and dinging you the $7.  If you want the service, just flip it back to automatic network selection and you will start using your Easy Roam.  This is how I plan to manage it, should I end up moving over to Koodo.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawrenwrote:

@sbreakin one small note about the pro of PM not having any unexpected roaming charges:  for those that do switch to Koodo, if you want a safety net here, you can switch your phone from automatic network selection to manual, and select the Koodo network.  Then if you happen to be near (or south of) the border, you will just get no signal rather than it kicking over into roaming and dinging you the $7.  If you want the service, just flip it back to automatic network selection and you will start using your Easy Roam.  This is how I plan to manage it, should I end up moving over to Koodo.

srlawren

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Good news that you were able to switch to the 5G/$40 plan. Even though there's no text for the 5gb it seems like many were able to get that plan. I think the extra (5 vs 4) helps buffer the less flexible Koodo's monthly limit compared to PM's 90-day period.

I too just moved one of our 2 PM accounts over to Koodo & was able to get this 5G/$40 plan.

I have to admit both have plans advantages & I have read & thought about it for the 2 or so weeks since the original offer came out. 

My take:
PM pro: pre-paid no surprises, no unexpected roaming, various reward credits (auto pay, loyalty, community and especially for those with many referrals), USA roaming plans are a good deal, call forward is included, Telus network, this community!

PM con: some risk of price/ plan changes, pre-paid & no partial refund if transfer.

Koodo pro:  $40/mo for 4GB or maybe 5Gb which is slightly higher cost but the migration credit (& potentially referrals -which I now have to solicit) help offset rewards for quite some time.  Canada wide (although on PM could use other methods like Google dialer). Access to some phones at discount (without needing to do vacation holds etc). Short trips to USA/ International have daily roaming access (Note: while it is $7/$10 per day you are only charged if using a service ie: talk/txt/data - otherwise can activate for emergency & if don't use then no charge. This would have benefitted me when camping when we had no signal & use/ pay when driving). Kiosk/ call center service if you actually use if needed & according to surveys great customer service (just like here at sister co PM).

Koodo con: Roaming at $7/d is actually more expensive than Rogers & Bell ($6/d) if you need to use it every day but that could be offset with no charge on days you don't need it. Call forwarding is $3/mo - not huge but so many companies include this (Rogers, Fido, Koodo pre-paid, PM) & useful for areas of poor service (like my home) & can transfer to a landline, transfer calls to work/ personal cell to avoid carrying around 2, ...

Anyway PM me if you have questions or want to take advantage of referral credits as I've now transferred one line & keeping other at PM -so hopefully gained a wealth of experience.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

thanks for reporting back!

steven1979
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I went to the store in the bayshore shopping mall

kentnleung
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@steven1979wrote:

I am from Ottawa, and I  have already switched to 4G/ $40 plan. Last week I went to Koodo store to see if I can get this new offer, but they won't give it to me. Saying I have to have the original text from public mobile and this promo is not for Ontario. However, I want to try harder so I called the Koodo customer service today, providing that promo code. then the guy just changed my 4G/ $40 plan to  the 5G/$40 without any questions. But He charged me $20 one time fee for plan change. Anyone wishes to get this new offer, please call koodo customer service and negotiate with them.You will get it. I believe we all derseve this new offer.

koodo.JPG

is it an actual koodo store or a 3rd party wireless store? if 3rd party, they may charge a fee.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@steven1979, I am happy for you.  That said, I would have asked for the fee to be waived. Charges are intended to recover cost for things that the customer can do on self serve but choose to have customer service do instead.  The fee guide does say that plan changes are a chargeable item if customer service is asked to complete the task.  Unless the customer has access to applying the required plan code for the 5 gig plan, the change should not be chargeable.  Time to have that crucial conversation with customer service.

Need Help? Let's chat.