cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a device limit for SIM cards?

saltyfry
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I want to use a Public Mobile SIM card to unlock a few of my old devices (thanks to Canada's new unlocking law). Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? The SIM card is active -- it's used by my kid for his phone, and I won't want to cause any interruptions in his service.

8 REPLIES 8

SIM card physical, mechanical, and electrical contact specifications require ~0.05microns (~50nm) of gold plating on the electrical contact pads.  (As defined in ETSI TS 102 221 V11.0.0, although 3GPP/3GPP2 USIM interfaces adhere to the same standards for convenience, intercompatibility, and raw mass-produced cheapness.)

0.05micron gold plating (over copper) is basically the minimum possible in mass-produced PCBs (thinner gold platings are possible but actually cost more to apply consistently).  And it's basically rated for ~25 insert/remove cycles (under the rated 0.5N contact force) before the plating strips off.  The exposed electrical (copper) contact will continue to function afterwards, but when mated with a dissimilar metal it is highly susceptible to a type of electrically-accelerated oxidation known as galvanic fretting ... which greatly reduces the functional life of the SIM card.  (It's the same electrical interface used on credit cards, bank cards, and other such stuff, although they require greater thickness of gold plating because they're intended to function for well over ~500 insert/remove cycles.)

Similar standards "recommend" a minimum ~0.2micron (200nm) gold plating on the SIM card receptacle (built into the phone), basically rated for ~100 insert/remove cycles before too much plating strips off.  Although phone manufacturers have more leeway, they don't even have to use gold if they can find cheaper alternatives which will meet the required number of insert/remove cycles across the product's expected (~2 year) service life.

You can safely bet that manufacturers will never use more gold than strictly required.  Not when they want to make profit on SIM cards they sell in bulk at less than $0.10 per unit.

@Someone_here wrote:

The electrical contacts could become dirty or eventually become worn out. 

As well, each time you remove your sim card from a device, you increase the chances of dropping your sim card on floor or underneath something causing you to misplace it.

Seriously??

As long that "a few" doesn't imply "a few thousand", and that you are not preforming the SIM swaps above the sewer grate, I think you should be fine 😉

@Someone_here wrote:

As well, each time you remove your sim card from a device, you increase the chances of dropping your sim card on floor or underneath something causing you to misplace it.

Seriously??

As long that "a few" doesn't imply "a few thousand", and that you are not preforming the SIM swaps above the sewer grate, I think you should be fine 😉

I'm not saying it's likely. However small the chance, I have personally dropped a sim card on the floor and needed a few minutes to find it.  I also know people who have lost a sim card when doing such things as unlocking a phone or switching it to a different phone.  The point is if you have a old deactivated sim card, you're best not to play around with your active one.

Seriously??

@computergeek541 wrote:

It doesn't matter how many phones that you insert your sim card into. It's really none of Public Mobile's concern.

However, PM apparently does retain a record of every device IMEI that an active PM SIM card gets plugged into.  Which is harmless data, though it associates the PM account with the other phones.

I agree that it's generally smarter to use any random junk SIM card if the purpose is only to access device unlock prompts.  The risk of damage/malfunction on a working SIM card is small (if you're careful) but it's still a risk which can be avoided ... damaging your active SIM card means you'll have to order another one, experience some minor hassles, and likely be without working phone service for at least 2-5 days.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@saltyfry, go nuts, use the SIM card as much as you need to assist with unlocking other phones.  I have had SIM cards that lasted years and years, swapped in and out of phones.  I have never replaced a SIM because it wore out.  Only in this forum does the SIM card get blamed for everything that goes wrong. 

It doesn't matter how many phones that you insert your sim card into. It's really none of Public Mobile's concern.

However, there's a small chance that you could damage your sim card in the process.  The electrical contacts could become dirty or eventually become worn out.  As well, each time you remove your sim card from a device, you increase the chances of dropping your sim card on floor or underneath something causing you to misplace it.  In addition, the adapter parts of a sim card that help you convert to mini and micro sim card from the small nano sim size are extremely fragile and prone to breaking.

Simply for unlocking a non-Telus cell phone device, the sim card that you use doensn't need to be active.  If you have an old deactivated sim card, that would also work.

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

There should not be any issue with doing what you're trying to do.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@saltyfry wrote:

I want to use a Public Mobile SIM card to unlock a few of my old devices (thanks to Canada's new unlocking law). Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? The SIM card is active -- it's used by my kid for his phone, and I won't want to cause any interruptions in his service.

You need to get an unlock for unlocking carrier locked phones. If the phone is locked to a carrier other than Telus, Koodo (or Public Mobile in specific circumstances) your Public Mobile SIM card will simply not be recognised and will not work, and you will need to contact the carrier you got the phone from to get the code.

Need Help? Let's chat.