cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Advanced SMS supported on iOS with public mobile?

ed_k
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Question - As Public Mobile is part of Telus, if I get a SIM and go with Public Mobile will the 'group messaging' option in iOS 'Settings' also appear and become available to me? Can someone using 'Public Mobile' look in iOS settings? Do you have a 'group messaging' option? (No not just the regular MMS option)

Background - It goes by many names (RCS on Android) but advanced messaging, specifically group messaging, is an option in 'Settings' now on my friends' iOS devices who are with Telus. They can carry on group chats in iMessages app (albeit in green) with non-iOS devices and do not have the chat broken down into individual texts. I (with Bell/Virgin/Lucky) do not have that option in 'Settings'. No this is not simply MMS and its options.

7 REPLIES 7

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I don't know anything about iOS.

But group messages works on my Android phone and is sent out as MMS instead of SMS.

I am using Google Messages app. 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging&hl=en_CA

@ed_k wrote:

Is there roaming fees with public mobile in Canada. I thought I could call and receive while anywhere in Canada with no roaming. So are you with public mobile? Do you have the group messaging option visible? 

Just to close the loop for you, there are no roaming fees for use in Canada. In fact PM never charges after the fact; if you try to use a service before paying it will not work.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ed_k

Public mobile supports group messaging. Group messaging appeared as soon as the sim was in and I can now group text with both iOS and Android phones at the same time in a single chat. It does not break it out into individual chats to each person. It is just green not blue in apples native iMessage app. Woohoo!! This is great.

[Self discovery accepted (only Android users were about Robot LOL ) ...... Luddite]

ed_k

@will13am wrote:

RCS has not been rolled out by Telus.  There was a workaround for android.  Google went and blocked it.  I guess they are trying to push the carriers to get on board and implement it on their end.  TBH, I cannot get excited over something that is 10s years late to the party.  Pretty much chat apps have rendered SMS/MMS useless.  Why not go with a carrier agnostic platform and not have to do things like pay for roaming fees when not in the home network.  

Is there roaming fees with public mobile in Canada. I thought I could call and receive while anywhere in Canada with no roaming. So are you with public mobile? Do you have the group messaging option visible? 

@will13am wrote:

RCS has not been rolled out by Telus. 

Yes, they have, not really launched, but adapted Google's solution only on limited devices. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Google went ahead and implemented RCS in their Messages app. I have it currently enabled and it works, but not too many have it enabled. Telus/Koodo/PM also have this feature enabled from their end. As for iOS, iMessage is a similar feature for group chat. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

RCS has not been rolled out by Telus.  There was a workaround for android.  Google went and blocked it.  I guess they are trying to push the carriers to get on board and implement it on their end.  TBH, I cannot get excited over something that is 10s years late to the party.  Pretty much chat apps have rendered SMS/MMS useless.  Why not go with a carrier agnostic platform and not have to do things like pay for roaming fees when not in the home network.  

Need Help? Let's chat.