cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International Texting (from the US)

Pat2023
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was in the US last month (Seattle) and thought I could send a text message back to Canada (as I had International Texting in my $15 plan). It didn't work. Received a text message from 611 (Public Mobile) saying: "Sorry, your plan does not include sending texts while in the US. Incoming texts are included. To add a US Roaming Add-On, visit ...". Guess I will continue to rely on WhatsApp for free calls and texts where free WiFi is available to people I know. Lesson learned for now. 

3 REPLIES 3

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Pat2023 

Yes, WhatsApp and TextNow works through WiFi.

I was in Bellingham and Lynwood last week with free calling and texting without WiFi.

I use the TextNow SIM.

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0075.png

But TextNow doesn’t ship to Canada and need a US address and US CC but they take PayPal.

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

The international call minutes and international text all must be in Canada to make a call or send text!

A lot of people didn't realize PM service is prepaid service and it works only in Canada, that's why there's no roaming charge when outside Canada because there's no PM service at all, except buy US add on when in USA. PM service is not like Rogers, Bell service which will have roaming charge (make a call, send text, internet) when outside Canada.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The lesson learned is that only roaming add-ons work in the states. All other services work only while in Canada.

It has been asked many times before that people think the term international texting means it can be used anywhere. No. It means you can text to anywhere internationally while in Canada.

So you're not alone in assuming the term.

Need Help? Let's chat.