cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I set up APN but my phone is still not working. It's not recognizing a mobile network.

jodiespence
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there,

I just set up my account this morning.  I'm transferring my number from Telus.  I entered the APN information into the mobile networks on my phone, my data is enabled and my phone is an UNLOCKED samsung galaxy note 4 that is compatible with your network.  I have no access to mobile network or data right now.  Your bot isn't helping me at all!!!!  I need to talk to a person to fix this.

18 REPLIES 18

@mimmo APN only effects data 

The OP had issues with no talk or txt as well so APN is irrelevant

The Public SIM (sounds like) it was never provisioned

The Telus SIM is still working

Therefore port never happened & that is why I said edit APN or reset hardware or any of the other ideas seem to be irrelevant

(Now it always *could* be something else, but my response ended up being on 2nd page of replies; really the OP needs to discuss with Mods and further discussion in this thread is pointless as even Oracles can not troubleshoot)

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

EDIT: nevermind, I see the moderators replied to you in your other thread that they have replied to your private message.  Hopefully things are getting resolved.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@kav2001c unless things have changed even when porting the phone should get a network and you can dial out send text use data etc.   The poster is not able to find the pm network.  

@jodiespence I think everyone missed the most important point here

If your Telus service still works, then your port to Public never happened

Either a system glitch or you entered a number wrong

Don't waste time playing with APN etc

You need to send a message to a MOD

Usual response is pretty quick 

Keep using Telus service until it stops working (then switch back to Public SIM)

@jodiespence wrote:

Would the fact that I JUST activated my account under an hour ago have anything to do with it?  My Telus account stull works if I put in the SIM card for Telus.  Maybe my number hasn't been transferred over yet etc?  I don't know.  This is really frustrating that I can't physically speak with someone.

What If I just want to cancel, get my money back and forget this whole debacle?

@mimmo wrote:

@jodiespence  when navigating to the network search did you see a network settings reset option try that.  also do you have an old phone or a friend phone that you can pop the PM sim into?

@will13am  any other suggestions?  it is strange that PM does not show up.  I am leaning towards a factory reset but dont really want to suggest it.  

The only other thing I can think of is how some carrier phones require a network reset because it seems to attach itself to a particular network operator, not quite SIM lock but nonetheless a cordial conection that is hard to break.  Go to settings, backup and resets and see if there is a network reset option there.  I loath at recommending a factory reset as I do not take such actions lightly myself and would not recommend something that I don't do.  BTW, when I search for network operators on my phone Telus and Public Mobile both show up. 

mimmo

@jodiespence  sorry i could not help more

my next suggestions would be

try sim in a different phone 

• if it works then 100% is your phone
    • no other suggestions other than factory reset if the network reset fails
    • others might have ther ideas
  • if it doesn;t then its an account issue
    • contact mods to look at  account 

jodiespence

My phone doesn't work at all, so kinda silly they would expect me to pay for something that doesn't work. 

I can't believe there is not an actual person that can help me.  Now I know why this service is so cheap.

mimmo

@jodiespence wrote:

Would the fact that I JUST activated my account under an hour ago have anything to do with it?  My Telus account stull works if I put in the SIM card for Telus.  Maybe my number hasn't been transferred over yet etc?  I don't know.  This is really frustrating that I can't physically speak with someone.

no you should be able to dial out and use data right away.  porting is what takes upto a couple hours.

money back, honestly ,in most cases no, since PM is prepaid.

mimmo

@jodiespence  when navigating to the network search did you see a network settings reset option try that.  also do you have an old phone or a friend phone that you can pop the PM sim into?

@will13am  any other suggestions?  it is strange that PM does not show up.  I am leaning towards a factory reset but dont really want to suggest it.  

jodiespence

jodiespence

I did the steps you said.  The $2 balance shows up.  The only operators that show up when I search network operators are Telus, Bell and Rogers.

@jodiespence wrote:

I see no network.  Nothing.  No data, no network. 

How do I search for the network?

I am not 100% familiar with the note 4 menus, try settings, more networks, mobile networks, network operators.  The phone will do the scan and show all available mobile networks in the area that are available to connect to.  I suggest using auto and not manually selecting a carrier from the list.  If selected, the manual selection is stored and there is no indicator what network operator is stored.  This can be become quite the nightmare when switching network operators.  A manually stored network operator could very well be the problem here.

mimmo

Ok lets start from the beggining.  I want to try and isolate an activation/account issue vs hardware issue.

1) loginto selfserve https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/ and once logged in can you see the plan details you selected?  also your available balance should be $2

if yes then it is probably a hardware issue

if hardware 

1) reboot phone

2) settings -> mobile networks ->mobile operators ->search network operators 

jodiespence

I see no network.  Nothing.  No data, no network. 

How do I search for the network?

fsm7268
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It seemed like you are stuck. have you pmed moderator team yet? they are the ones can help you get through. 

mimmo

@jodiespence I edited my first post after rereading your orriginal post. use the contact mod link there.  

basic troubleshooting is to check selfserve to ensure the activation went through properly first

then troubleshoot the phone.

is the phone connecting to the network?  ie do you see public mobile in the top left.  try manually searching for teh PM network.

jodiespence

It's not just my data that isn't working.  I can't make calls or anything.  I have NO access to mobile network. If I had known there was NO ONE to actually help me or talk to, I wouldn't have signed up for this service.

mimmo

Hi sorry you are hving troubles. there is no person to actually talk to.  you can ask for help in the community or contact mods directly via private message.

when you say you have no acces to mobile network does taht mean you cant call or text?  what does your plan in selfserve say?

If its just data  I would look though this post (created ny one of teh mods) to trubleshoot your issue.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-p...

the two most common issues is data addon not being added during signup (check selfserve) and apn issues

If you have a network settings reset  (not factory reset) I would try that as well.

Contact the Moderator_Team by clicking here.

In your message include:
- account email address , pin number if possible
- PM phone number
- explanation of what is happening or a link to this thread

Need Help? Let's chat.