cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I read that FM is plannin on VoLTE & VoWi-Fi, perhaps PM should consider as well, to keep up

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

I read that FM is plannin on VoLTE AS Well as VoWi-Fi, which I think doesn't sound as a bad Idea, could be another viable option too

If This was viable, and was Roaming compatible, Shouldn't PM also consider such an option too, making things interesting, and redefining how the Telecom industry can work as a whole.

Just saying, boosting PPL's Phone signals especially IF they live in Sub-Level buildings, or working in buildings where Signal strength is weak, perhaps this might alleviate some of the stress on the Network a bit, and foster Co-Op between Networks and Wi-Fi, and create such an Fantastic Hybrid Beast.

What's your opinion?

11 REPLIES 11

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

It looks like Telus has rolled out iPhone wifi calling.  That's a promising sign!

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 bumping an older thread to laugh at FM implementation of WiFi /VoWiFi

So if you download the app you get access to a bunch of sites in BC/AB (like literally nothing in ON, Toronto has like 20 sites)

Oh and even better, it is only free until March, after which you need to pay an EXTRA FEE to continue using it

Looks like FM is going full Shaw on us now Cat Tongue

$45 for a plan with 3GB of data + extra charge for VoWiFi access

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kav2001c wrote:

No phones support it yet really but once the majority of users do then flanker brands such as Public will be switched over

*May* be switched over.  I don't believe Telus has announced any plans to offer VoLTE to PM subscribers yet.  Though at least there's solid precedent as I recall they said they wouldn't give LTE-Advanced to PM subscribers and yet we have it now.

Telus VoLTE already live

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/about-volte

Bell VoLTE already live

https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/VoLTE

No phones support it yet really but once the majority of users do then flanker brands such as Public will be switched over

@makkahn28 the LTE network is tiny today, I suspect Telus will have long since migrated all subs before FM gets it together

Handsets will be an issue as TMo is only carrier that even had that band. Think back to old days when none of the Robellus phones could work with Wind. Same thing. History will repeat itself.

New plans are pretty awful already ($45 for 3GB of data?) and I expect they will get worse as Shaw starts to price creep like only they can do

I think, it's NOT impossible, and I also think, Handsets shouldn't be an issue, that would be kinda silly.

I think it maybe a viable option, imagine, Global, Cruiseships, that would create a whole new way of Communication, and it wouldn't cost insanely expensive. Just saying

@ajanda the author is a friend of mine.   It would be great to have but like you I like to have unlocked phones and buy them that way

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ajanda
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The bear is horrible. Smiley Sad Seems so tacky lol. The way the font looks is dated as well. It reminds me of 2009 marketing. Felt like they could have done much better on the marketing side of things. But I wish them the best of success, we need this much needed competition in the wireless industry.

Yup. FM should have chosen Snuggles, or perhaps that Bear from Dragon's Den UK, Pugsy lol

ajanda
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I think its going to take time for FM to have VoWi-Fi but it will be fanastic if PM can bring this feature as well. Only problem is I enjoy buying unlocked phones which is required with PM. But i hope FM doesnt require you to need a "carrier specific" phone. That wont make it as a appealing.

@ShawnC13 thats where I had heard about it.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Were you reading this article or did you hear it elsewhere?

http://mobilesyrup.com/2016/12/03/what-is-vowifi-and-is-it-key-to-freedom-mobiles-future/

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.