cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got a text congratting me on my PIN but I never set one up

MSellar90
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I never set up a PIN but I got a text saying "congrats on yr new pin." 

How can I reset my PIN so I can get on with things? 

If I did set up a pin, it'd have been by accident while my phone was in my pocket.

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

@sunken_dee wrote:

Totally agree on all counts. But unfortunately many folks I know have not thought about these matters and the impact of those choices (and think I'm too paranoid).

Thank you for detailing the alternatives as well as why.

@sunken_dee Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you!

I try and educate friends and family on the perils awaiting them online. Some listen, some don't. If anything I wrote is of benefit, great!

sunken_dee

Totally agree on all counts. But unfortunately many folks I know have not thought about these matters and the impact of those choices (and think I'm too paranoid).

Thank you for detailing the alternatives as well as why.

@sunken_dee wrote:

Is that really true?

1) Because I just set up my account albeit online and not via store and the only message I received regarding a PIN from 611 was "You have successfully created a new PIN. Please keep this number safe as it'll be used to authenticate your identity."

2) Would make sense to text a PIN because then whoever has your phone if you've lost it would be able to access your account?

I do hope that security is tight around PINs and account access as most of our phones are tied to bank/email/other apps 2FAs.

Thanks and good luck to OP!

The PIN is random when you activate at a storre. If you activate at home, you will be need to choose a PIN. The PIN is really only used for some activities when dialing *611, as an account verification method, and possibly for number porting purposes. It's entirely possible to go have a Public Mobile account but never require the use of the account PIN.

@sunken_dee wrote:

Is that really true?

1) Because I just set up my account albeit online and not via store and the only message I received regarding a PIN from 611 was "You have successfully created a new PIN. Please keep this number safe as it'll be used to authenticate your identity."

2) Would make sense to text a PIN because then whoever has your phone if you've lost it would be able to access your account?

I do hope that security is tight around PINs and account access as most of our phones are tied to bank/email/other apps 2FAs.

@sunken_dee Tying your phone number to any 2FA or password recovery/reset procedures is a bad idea. Better to use an authenticator app or email. SMS is a bad idea. Having your apps (like banking) "remember" user names and password is convenient but a bad idea too. As for account security, make sure you use a difficult password of the sort generated by a Password Manager. The PIN they texted you? Remember the PIN and delete the message. If you need to change the PIN contact a moderator.

sunken_dee

Is that really true?

@MSellar90 

Did you get any printouts from the store?

The first message you for when you installed the sim should have been the pin.

If you don't have it, don't worry you can just contact moderators and pick the new pin.

Also check with your friend if they got the referral, sometimes people in the store forget to put it. Don't worry if they did, just contact moderators once the pin issue is sorted out and give them your friend's referral code

Welcome to Publicmobile

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@MSellar90 

What is the number that sent the sms?

@MSellar90 wrote:

If it is randomly generated in a store, how do I find out what it is?

Hi @MSellar90 Welcome to Public Mobile!

They sent you your PIN # by sms.  It is a 4-digit number, nothing else.

Happy Holidays! 🎄🎄🎄

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MSellar90 wrote:

After activation, PM sends you 1 or 2 text messages with your PIN#.  The first text message is the randomly generated PIN# by the PM server.  If you supply a PIN# in store, PM server will send your a second text message to you with the PIN# your supplied.  The randomly generated PIN# will be voided after receiving the second PIN# message.

If you forgot your PIN# and deleted your PIN# text message, create a moderator support ticket for help using the Chat button at the bottom right corner of this page.

@MSellar90 wrote:

The PIN is in the text message. Did you delete it?

@MSellar90 wrote:

Use one of the links posted above to contact a moderator.

MSellar90

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@MSellar90 wrote:

If I did set up a pin, it'd have been by accident while my phone was in my pocket.

Thanks

You would have set up your pin to your self service account when you activated. If you set up your voice mail you would have set up a pin for that too. You can reset your voice mail pin in self service.

For your account pin contact a moderator if you forgot it.

Here’s  how to contact the Moderator Team (Public Mobile representative):

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

@MSellar90 wrote:

Thanks

The PIN is used to prove to Public Mobile customer service that the account is yours. If you activated in store, it is randomly generated.

Need Help? Let's chat.