Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to minimize your data usage !!!!

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire
How to reduce your data usage on ios and Android

SET DATA ALERTS AND LIMITS

You can check your data usage on iOS devices by going to Settings > Cellular and looking under Cellular Data Usage. These data stats do not reset each billing period automatically, so you'll have to remember to do it yourself. To reset these stats, go toSettings > Cellular and tap Reset Statistics, which is found by scrolling all the way down to the bottom of the page.

On Android 4.0 or later, you can check your data usage just like iOS, but also set alerts and limits. Go to Settings, and under Wireless & Networks, tap on Data usage. You’ll see a table showing your data usage for a specific period of time. You can toggle Set mobile data limit and then move the black and red lines to set alerts. The black line will trigger a notification that you're approaching your limit, while the red line represents the threshold where your Android device shuts off cellular data.

DON'T USE SPEED TEST APP

Everyone who use SPEED TEST APP each time you check you almost using 100mb so if someone using 3 to 5 time a month that's 300 to 500 mb wasted usage

USE WIFI WHERE AVAILABLE

Now days Wi-Fi is pretty common always connect to Wi-Fi if you have a option available

DATA TRACKING APPS

There's lots of data monitoring APPS available for both iOS and Android  I been using my data management which is a great option since you can customize the plan and also have a option to set your plan for 90 days also provide details about app usage

MINIMIZE BACKGROUND APP USAGE

Turn off all the app that's use lots of usage on BACKGROIND like Facebook Instagram and other I personally have only few app that can be active on background like email messenger gmail Twitter and few others its will save lots of data

STREAMING YOUTUBE

Also when streaming change your video quality to 240 p or close by this will also save lots of data

Hoping all these details will help some op specially those who have 1 or 2 gb 30 days usage

** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**
16 REPLIES 16

vinions
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

for me it was simply changing my mentality of how I use my phone.  I used to use 4-5gb per month when I was on Rogers but since I switched, I knew I had to keep it under 4gb average.  I left my WiFi on and connected whenever I can.  It has since dropped down to an average of 1.5-2gb per month.  

oh, and stop doing app updates on data 😛

Someone_here
Mayor / Maire

@Samianauman wrote:
DATA TRACKING APPS
There's lots of data monitoring APPS available for both iOS and Android  I been using my data management which is a great option since you can customize the plan and also have a option to set your plan for 90 days also provide details about app usage

@Samianauman

Just be sure to read the fine prints, because it is not for everyone...

Of course it is not the only app doing that, but still...

• "Mobidia’s mobile applications (“Apps”) allow you to analyze, modify and/or optimize certain device characteristics, such as network traffic. Downloading, installing and using the Apps means that information about your device and your on-device usage behavior (including, but not limited to, the apps you use and mobile data transactions) will be received and analyzed by our servers, as described in our Privacy Policy ."
  • "You further represent and warrant that: (i) you acknowledge and understand that the Services collect information that may be regarded as proprietary, such as your device model, mobile carrier, the applications you use, the websites you visit, and other interactions with and/or through the Services;"
  • "Analyzing your use of mobile applications and data, which may include combining such information (including personally identifying information) with information we receive from Affiliates or third parties;"
  • "Affiliated Businesses. Businesses or third parties that are legally part of the same group of companies that Mobidia is part of (“Affiliates”), such as App Annie, may provide to us, or receive from us, personally identifiable information, which will be used to operate, improve and develop our Services, as well as their own products and services"
  • "INFORMATION COLLECTED BY THE SERVICES
    - Installed apps and usage information (e.g., how long you use an app or feature)
    - Network traffic (e.g., websites visited, other online activities)"

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawrenThanks. Personally, I think it's one of the most useful apps out there and it can do all this without ROOT access to the phone. I have no affiliation with NetGuard...

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Good advice, @ckl.  I've never personally used that app, but for anyone with a OnePlus 3 or 3T running OxygenOS 4.0 or higher, there is a similar feature baked into the OS out of the box, where you can limit apps to just WiFi, just mobile data, or none at all.  [None at all was the workaround I used for the controversial Bose Connect app that was quietly connecting usage data and sending it back to Bose; though, this morning they released an update that lets you opt out finally.]

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I use an app called NetGuard on Android. You basically specify which app gets to use cellular data and/or Wifi Data. On my kids phones, since they have very little cellular data, only to be used for fongo, I set netguard to restrict all mobile data for basically every game and app but still have access to wifi data (because games like to phone home and/or retrieve ads). Some games and apps don't work well without a data connection though so in these cases I find another equiv. app that works.

Another great tip for you:

Use Data Compression in Chrome or Off-Road mode in Opera 🙂

It'll use less data when browsing non secure websites!

Also another tip! If you have an iphone, make sure Wi-Fi Assist is turned off!! 

as it will use data instead of wifi if you have a slow internet connection. A few people have been burned by this nasty feature in the past!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

Why not download the videos onto the phone instead of streaming?  It may take some time to build up the library on the phone, but it is well worth the trouble.

Building on @will13am's thoughts:  if you do want to watch video content on the go, some services let you pre-download content to your phone while you're at home* on WiFi.  For example, I was on vacation just recently, and downloaded a bunch of Netflix content to my phone and tablet in the days before going away, and was able to watch it fully disconnected on the plane and also without using the painfully slow hotel WiFi or my US Roaming data add-on to watch in the hotel room.

* I say home but insert your favourte WiFi location here.  I don't recommend work in case they are monitoring and wonder why you're consuming hundreds or thousands of MB of their data for Netflix.  I also don't recommend using public WiFi like Starbux or other locations since (a) it's probably slow anyway and (b) it's a bit inconsiderate, but your mileage may vary.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

She always want to watch new stuff I also have headrest DVD on my suv bit thanks to papa pig mother goose club chu chu tv and list goes on and on lol

But thx @will13am
I will ask my wife to download bunch of stuff for her in my phone or in tablet or dvrn laptop then i will just transfer over 😛
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

@Samianauman wrote:
Lol if I driving and my toddler start crying I usually put mother goose club on YouTube with 240p and its work pretty good as I mentioned its depend how and when and who want to streaming for around 2 years old she just want some music n stuff lol 240p work on that

Why not download the videos onto the phone instead of streaming?  It may take some time to build up the library on the phone, but it is well worth the trouble.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Add one more tip to the long list.  When tethering a laptop running windows, make sure to set the connection as a metered connection.  Otherwise a nice big windows update can suck back several hundred meg before you know it.

Lol if I driving and my toddler start crying I usually put mother goose club on YouTube with 240p and its work pretty good as I mentioned its depend how and when and who want to streaming for around 2 years old she just want some music n stuff lol 240p work on that

lol. But instead of watching 1080p on a small screen dropping it to 480p should not show too much but to 240p is a bit extreme.
Still great tips .

Lol I said 240 if someone really want to lower their data otherwise they can use 360 or 480 whatever they prefer i restricted my YOUTUBE on data bit sometime if you have to use on data then I use on either 240 or 360p its a op personal choice I guess

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
YouTube at 240 p . That's just a nightmare. I would recommend 360p or even 480 max on smart phones but lower then that is just too much. You can set it at your YouTube setting at least on Android

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

biggest point i suggest is to limit the streaming. My one friends goes through so much data because he goes on youtube. Even streaming music will add up eventually. I have my settings to only use youtube and music streaming for wi-fi. I also limit background app refersh, and deleted the facebook app from my phone. 

Need Help? Let's chat.