cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is a new, unused Public Mobile Sim Card good for before it need to be used or else?

Blackbox
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'd like to have a spare sim card from Public Mobile since I will be a part timer using their service.

I wonder how long it is good for after I buy it, before I have to use it or lose it.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5

evilgabbie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just for reference, it's not a carrier setting.  It's provisioning of the actual sim card.  Doing a sim switch online via your personal portal can "enable" again not activate, sims that were previously had the same number on it.  This is easily done on Rxxers, Fxxo, Bxxl, Texus networks, so it shouldn't be different for PM.  I will give it a shot tomorrow for reference sake and let you know.  It doesn't serve much purpose as you can just as easily remove a SIM from one phone to insert into another, but again for reference.  Moderators will not be able to provide an answer as this is more for a technical team.  

@evilgabbie wrote:

I believe you could "reactivate" it with the same number.  Not that its really handy, but say you have 2 devices and 2 Public Sim inserted in the phones.  You can switch your number from one phone to another by "enabling" (trying to not use the word activate as it's misleading) one or the other SIM.

This is how GSM networks work with SIM cards.

That may be theoretically possible, but it's highly, extremely, almost no chance of Public Mobile allowing that.  In theory, carriers could allow the re-use of old sim cards, but they aren't going to.   Once used and deactivated/cancelled, sim cards are papperweights (not very good ones - too light).  I have read about at least one carrier carrier that did allow more than one sim card to be associated with an account (but only one active), but getting them to switch back to and old one was like pulling teeth (and most customer service reps either didn't know how to do it or weren't allowed to).  There's no way for a customer to do this themself and I would say probably less than a 1% chance that moderator can/or would be willing to do as you say.

evilgabbie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I believe you could "reactivate" it with the same number.  Not that its really handy, but say you have 2 devices and 2 Public Sim inserted in the phones.  You can switch your number from one phone to another by "enabling" (trying to not use the word activate as it's misleading) one or the other SIM.

This is how GSM networks work with SIM cards.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Blackbox, unused SIM cards have no expiry.  You can use it any time.  Once used, you cannot reuse it. 

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@Blackbox wrote:

I'd like to have a spare sim card from Public Mobile since I will be a part timer using their service.

I wonder how long it is good for after I buy it, before I have to use it or lose it.

Thanks

Unused its good forever since sitting in your drawer at home, or in the drawer of a WOW mobile boutique / walmart makes no difference, until you activate it then have the account deactivated. Then its garbage.

Need Help? Let's chat.