cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I opt out of Public Mobile Services?

HereYouFixIt
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I pretty much want to switch to Rogers cause I need to use their data plan as my data source since Public does not offer the 512kbps after overages. What can I do?

13 REPLIES 13

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@HereYouFixIt wrote:

I pretty much want to switch to Rogers cause I need to use their data plan as my data source since Public does not offer the 512kbps after overages. What can I do?

@HereYouFixIt   What plan are you on? If you are on the current highest plan of $50/8.5gb and run out of data near the end of your plan and require 512kbps speed for a few days so you can work from your phone you need a little more data than pm currently offers. Switching to Rogers lowest unlimited plan of 10gb is $75. So the extra 1.5gb and the unlimited throttled to 512kbps data is an additional $25. But how much of that will you use and is it worth the extra $25? If your not paying the bill then who cares? But if you are....? How much more do you think you need? If you are on a lesser plan just upgrade your plan. If you can't and you can't limit yourself for your last 1.5gb of data consider an app to set limits of download speed to your apps. This could lessen the data usage overall to stretch 8.5gb of plan data so you would not run out before renewal allowing you to continue to work from your phone. The cost of the app would be a one time outlay of around $30 but would be saved within about a month by staying with public mobile. Check that option to see if could solve the issue at least until pm offers a larger data plan like the $60/10gb and 10gb plan with limited offer 2gb plan bonuses.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@HereYouFixIt it's pretty simple to switch companies.  Just do a porting activation with Rogers and that's pretty much it.  But if you're not doing a port, then just remove any credit card you have on file, don't make any payments towards your PM account for 90 days, and it'll cancel itself.  Because there's no true billing associated with the service you won't be sent to collections or anything like that.  For prepaid services they just cancel the account.  So guess it depends on whether yuo're porting or not, but either way it's a simple process.

That's because it isn't "pretty good", it is "pretty good for free".

@HereYouFixIt 

Dont forget that TELUS offers that as well. I'm not sure whether Koodo may as well? And, I'm not sure if you may be able to get anything more out of a transfer from PM to another TELUS company than jumping ship to Rogers?

AE_Collector 

@Ed404 wrote:

@HereYouFixIt wrote:

I didn't know mainstream providers increased their throttled data speeds that high, that's pretty good.

Yeah, it's pretty good, compared to what we've come to expect, but calling 512kbps "pretty good" seems just a bit.... shall we say.... late 90's early 2000's. 😉 

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@HereYouFixIt wrote:

I didn't know mainstream providers increased their throttled data speeds that high, that's pretty good.

totalUser
Mayor / Maire

If you have outstanding balance it will be gone. If you have any family or friends try to transfer it to their account. It's very hard to get out back i heard

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@HereYouFixIt  Activate an account and port out your number with the other provider. 

Don't forget to remove your cc and disable AutoPay if you had it enabled before porting out.

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@HereYouFixIt   I'm sorry, but you CAN'T leave..... with a user name like THAT, you're made for this place!!! 😉   😆 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Sorry to see you go, if in the future pm starts to match your needs again, you see how easy it is to come and leave:) it will be very easy to come back.

If you wish to be informed of new deals and changes you can always sign up for updates and promotions at the bottom of the page https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans  we'll all be happy to see you again:)

Best of luck

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@HereYouFixIt , Rogers is a full service brand.  They should be able to completely take care of everything for you including porting out your number from this service which will automatically close the account.  Make sure to remove your payment card before leaving.  Sorry to see you leave.  

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If you would like to keep your number, again take out your credit card info and go to Rogers store to port number over. Have your account info handy to give them for the transfer, best to have your smart phone with your.

Once the port is finished your account will be terminated instantly

@HereYouFixIt wrote:

If you no longer need to keep your Public Mobile account but still wish to keep the phone number, you could port your number out. Keep in mind that you'll lose any remaining Public Mobile prepaid account balance and anything you've paid for your current billing cycle.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Just take out your credit card on file one the payment fails you'll be suspended for 90 days than the account will shut down

Need Help? Let's chat.