cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Blocking Weird Numbers that Look Like This: 0117 (281) 801-99-9 or 011 7 (780) 378-63-00

fatfrog
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i switched from a landline that i have had for 15+ years to public on an iphone

i am getting calls that look like this (these are actual numbers):

0117 (281) 801-99-9

011 27 67844190

011 27 803786300

011 7 (780) 378-63-00

of course i block them but i really would like to know what is happening

the possibilities for numbers like this are infinite and i don't want to have to deal with these forever

any feedback would be helpful

14 REPLIES 14

fatfrog

thanks

we'll see whether "wide protect" works

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

No idea what the first one is. The second one is from South Africa.

Yes, only North American calls will go through.

I assume your number is probably on a list now.

fatfrog

thanks

so then calls that start wirh 0117 are from russia ? ... got it

here are a couple of recent ones: 011 0451656114 and 011 27 67844190

can you decipher these ?

and if wideprotect blocks all international calls that is ok, i may miss one or two that matter but 99% come from usa canada

so far haven't gotten any for 36 hours and was getting them every 12 hours

am i correct in assuming that my number which has been widely broadcast probably from being in about a half-dozen security breaches is ending up on spam call lists ?

austinhuang

Your iPhone will automatically format the number. For instance,

011 7 (281) 801-99-9

The 281 is the area code. Like us, it's in brackets.

Then the 6 digits is just formatted that way in Russia.

Blocking all 011 prefix means you will no longer receive any international calls (Unless from US).

fatfrog

i have an iphone 6s plus

i have 3 phone apps: hiya, truecaller and i paid for one called wideprotect which allows you to block according to number patterns

so i have it set to block anything that starts with "011" and have had only 1 call since ... the pattern setup is confusing and i am thinking about writing the developer to see if he can help

i have no idea if it is working or not or if the calls just have slowed lately

i really would love to know why the numbers are formatted like they are with parentheses and spaces and so on

When it comes to the discussion of dialers and third-party apps, the options available to the customer really depend on that particular piece of software.  Some will the option only to block exact numbers, send calls from that number directly to voicemail, and some will even answer and then play a pre-recorded message or even just hang up on the caller.  Some allow you to program in rules for wildcards (or series of numbers) to match that you want filtered out.  You'll just have to experiment with a few of these software apps dailers, contact and spam filer apps to see if it helps.  Unfortunately, the carrier usually isn't going to be of much help.

@austinhuang wrote:

011 = Provider Access Code, in North America it's 011

First and forth:

7 = International Telephone Code, 7 means Russia/Kazakhstan

(XXX) = Russian area code (It's like NANP area codes)

The last part could be 5~7 digits long, see here.

Second and third:

27 = International Telephone Code, 27 means South Africa

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

You are correct, I was mistaken! Sorry

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's the one ring scam. There's not much you can do about it but I don't know how much effect it has on a plan that doesn't have pay per use rates.

austinhuang

011 = Provider Access Code, in North America it's 011

First and forth:

7 = International Telephone Code, 7 means Russia/Kazakhstan

(XXX) = Russian area code (It's like NANP area codes)

The last part could be 5~7 digits long, see here.

Second and third:

27 = International Telephone Code, 27 means South Africa

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

ckl

@fatfrogUnfortunately, your number is "out there" now and there really isn't anything you can do to stop marketers from calling you. You could try the "do not call" list but that has proven questionable in the past.

I just checked my Android dialer and there is an option that says "Filter spam calls" in the settings. It is off by default. I suspect that the call will go through Google's spam filter before your phone will ring. This may cause a delay as it has to perform a check. Anyway, this is Android 9 so this option may not exist for previous versions of Android.

There are apps in the Google play store (assuming you have an Android phone) that have call blocking abilities with the whitelist feature. You want to look for ones that have whitelist, block unknown or private numbers, and block partial numbers (ie any number that begins with 111 in it). You also want apps that have a high rating and ones with at least 100,000 downloads (as opposed to ones with high rating but only 100 downloads). Also, read the reviews and look for patterns. The reason I give this warning is that these types of apps require a lot of permissions of which include access to your personal information.

But regardless, you will get the occasional spam call. Marketers are getting smarter and the technology is getting easier. Marketers can use any number they wish. So recently, I have gotten marketing calls from my local area code. So that's why a whitelist feature is handy. Any unrecognized number goes to voicemail... and that's fine with me. If it's important, they will leave a voicemail and I'll get back to them and put them on the whitelist if necessary.

@wetcoaster yes you are correct, 011 is the international dial. I was on a different train of thought when i wrote that as i reconize the numbering format from NZ. Regardless where the number is from though with VPN the number really does not truly identify where it originated.

@krazykiwi wrote:

@fatfrog wrote:

0117 (281) 801-99-9

011 27 67844190

011 27 803786300

011 7 (780) 378-63-00

the possibilities for numbers like this are infinite and i don't want to have to deal with these forever

Having lived in New Zealand I can tell you that the first part  (011) is the country code for there and the (27) is one of a few prefixs for mobile numbers there and (7) is a prefix for landlines there. They do not follow the same ten digit standard format as here in North America. Not sure of any of this helps but like @will13am says blocking is in your dialer app.

@krazykiwi

In North America 011 is the access code for international calls / what the "+" represents.

So if I call a contact in France its 011 33 x xx xx xx xx, in my phone memory it's +33 x xx xx xx xx.

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@fatfrog wrote:

0117 (281) 801-99-9

011 27 67844190

011 27 803786300

011 7 (780) 378-63-00

Like @will13am says blocking is in your dialer app.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@fatfrog, the phone dialer app usually has features to block numbers.  Carriers generally do not block numbers for customers.  These spam calls affect everyone.  I get a lot of calls from North Africa countries that lure people to call back and incur huge long distance bills.  Not much we can do really. 

Need Help? Let's chat.