cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to the US

FowlowFamily
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We are heading to the US (from Canada), and hoping to use our phone for GPS. What would be a best add-on? We have no Canada-US text/roaming in our plan right now. 

4 REPLIES 4

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@FowlowFamily  I use copilot GPS. Maps are stored on your phone. No need for data, your phone GPS works fine without it. Another that works is MAPS.ME

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@FowlowFamily , you might be able to get by with the 250 Mb add-on if you turn off all the sync features on your phone and dedicate data to maps only.  Google maps is so data rich these days, it could burn through data pretty quickly.  I would not cheap out and risk being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no mobile data or WiFi, get the 1GB add-on and you should be fine.  

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Here's what I'd do, @FowlowFamily 

Download Google maps for use 'offline' to include the geographical areas you'll be visiting/traveling.

This way, you DON'T need a data plan.    The maps will have been pre-loaded on your device and your device's GPS capability will navigate the same way.

The ONLY caveat is any real-time traffic conditions won't be available.

EDIT:  you can use free wi-fi areas to browse or do any network-related stuff

slusagm
Mayor / Maire

if you need GPS, you need roaming data.  Get the Bundle (3GB and talk and text)  for $30 

But if you just need data for GPS and not much browsing, and only a short trip like 3 days, get roaming 1GB for only $15

Need Help? Let's chat.