cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to Quebec on a plan with Ontario talk

zgall1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am going to Quebec with a plan that has unlimited calls in Ontario. Will I be able to receive calls when I am there? (I assume I cannot call anyone within Quebec using this plan). 

8 REPLIES 8

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I haven't had time to test it but if it were me, I'd do what @will13am says and buy  long distance minutes, as they're relatively cheap. FWIW, you're not supposed to be able to receive calls but I'd hate to rely on what appears to be an oversight, in case it gets changed. Worst that'll happen is the LD minutes don't get used

I agree with @computergeek541.  That’s how the plan is detailed in the knowledge base, and there is even an excel based graphic created late last year by another subscriber that says LD minutes must be available on a province wide plan when visiting another province to receive calls.

Frankly, I can not confirm this, as I do not travel very much.

@thapager wrote:

You would be able to receive calls, but not make calls. You can use the unlimited texting and data. That is still Canada wide.

Sorry, but that isn't correct.

When someone who has provincial calling with an Ontario phone number goes out of province, receiving a phone call is out-of-province long distance.  It's not supoosed to work at all unless the customer subscribes to a long distance add-on.  If you notice that I say "not supposed to work", I've chosen my words carefully because there have been some reports of incoming calls still working when travelling to other provinces (it really shouldn't be working).

Outgoing calls can be made within the province that you are in if your plan includes provincial calling.  The city/province that you for number is from never makes any difference for outgoing calls.

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@zgall1, you have gotten a lot of information below.  While in Quebec you will be able to call any Quebec number without a long distance addon.  If you wish to call back to Ontario you will need the addon.  As for receiving calls it has been found that while out of your home province people have been able to receive calls without a long distance package.  Your data is Nation wide so you will be able to still text globally and have access to your data bucket.

ETA:  Hoping to clear some of these other posts up and if I am wrong I do apologize but I am pretty sure this is how it has worked.

@thapager wrote:

You would be able to receive calls, but not make calls. You can use the unlimited texting and data. That is still Canada wide.

@thapager, yes  you can make calls when you travel.  If you go to Quebec from Ontario you can make calls within Quebec without a Long distance addon.

@Karnbot13 wrote:

I believe that's the other way around. You would be able to make calls in the province you're in but you won't receive calls or be able to call outside the province without a long distance add on

@Karnbot13, it has been found that even without a LD addon you will still receive calls from your home province.  When you travel in this example dialing the OP number would have to dial it as a long distance call.

@ShawnC13, you are correct, this is how roaming actually works.  While out west, the incoming calls I received were not charged against my long distance minutes.  Calls back home were chargeable minutes.  Calls within the province were free, regardless of which province is being visited. 

Seeing that long distance minutes do not expire and are relatively inexpensive, it is a good idea to buy a batch of minutes and let it sit there for that "rainy day".  Actually, it only rained once for a short period of time while I was in the west coast. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@zgall1, you have gotten a lot of information below.  While in Quebec you will be able to call any Quebec number without a long distance addon.  If you wish to call back to Ontario you will need the addon.  As for receiving calls it has been found that while out of your home province people have been able to receive calls without a long distance package.  Your data is Nation wide so you will be able to still text globally and have access to your data bucket.

ETA:  Hoping to clear some of these other posts up and if I am wrong I do apologize but I am pretty sure this is how it has worked.

thapager wrote:

@thapager, yes  you can make calls when you travel.  If you go to Quebec from Ontario you can make calls within Quebec without a Long distance addon.

Karnbot13 wrote:

I believe that's the other way around. You would be able to make calls in the province you're in but you won't receive calls or be able to call outside the province without a long distance add on

@Karnbot13, it has been found that even without a LD addon you will still receive calls from your home province.  When you travel in this example dialing the OP number would have to dial it as a long distance call.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

nishufan

Hi @zgall1

You need to buy a long distance add-on to receive a call or make calls outside the province. The data is Canada-wide, so you can forward your call to a Fongo number and use your data or WIFI to receive calls. That's free. 

Karnbot13

thapager
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Need Help? Let's chat.