cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started

bethmiller11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am currently with Bell, no contract.  My iphone6S has a SIM card.

1) Do I need to buy a PM SIM card?  Or can I use my Bell SIM card?

2) If I have to buy a PM SIM card, does it come in the mail?  or delievery to the door?  How long does it take?

3) Once I have a new SIM, or decide to use my Bell SIM (if that is an option), what do I do next?  a) Unlock my iphoneS 

b) Complete the registration process with PM, so that PM can Port In my Bell Number?

4) How long does it take to Port in my number?

5) Do you know if unlocking my phone will set it to manufacturers settings?  Or will all my contacts, pictures, apps still be on my phone?

THANKS

7 REPLIES 7

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bethmiller11  Also be aware that you might have to call Bell and ask them to unlock your phone when you are ready to activate your Public Mobile SIM card.

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@bethmiller11 hi also remember to keep your bell account open till your port is complete the account will automatically close after that

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Unlocking your phone dosent reset anything. I've unlocked many phones from may provides from old phones people gave me. Just contact bell and they will walk you through the unlock. It only took me 1 hour to port in. But usually its 2 hours to 3 or a day 

Welcome to PM 🙂

iliketotalk
Mayor / Maire

@bethmiller11 hi yes you need a PM Sim card you can get one by going to the p.m. website and ordering it online yes you can port your bell number it usually takes between one hour and a day for the port usually sooner it’s up to Bell to release your number not p.m. unlocking your phone will not get rid of all your contacts or pictures

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bethmiller11 , you do need a SIM card from Public Mobile.  Follow the steps in the get started link.  

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

Welcome to Public Mobile Beth.

To answer questions:

1) Yes, you need to buy a PM SIM card?  

2) If you buy online with Public Mobile, it will be delivered to you between 3-7 days from Canada Post ExpresspostMake sure you are still active with Bell so you can properly port over from BellMobility

b) Yes, you can self-serve and port over

4) It really depends. For me, it was pretty quick, for others not so much. 

5) I strongly suggest you back-up your phone just in case. I think that's why I was able to port over so quickly.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@bethmiller11 you need a PM sim and unique email address to join. 

Here's 3 articles on activation and porting if required:

1. What you require to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/what-you-need-to-activate

2.How to activate https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

3.How to port https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

Please note your Bell acount must be active to port. And unlock your phone if locked to Bell. Welcome to PM. 

Need Help? Let's chat.