cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GST

Alex722
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In my payment page, I am charged for BC tax, even though I live in Alberta. Please help.

8 REPLIES 8

hi @Alex722 different carriers have different rule for this

For PM, it is charged by area code.  So, you are not interested in change you number? If not, voucher would be a good way to save $$

@Alex722 To be fair, PM has no way of knowing where you live, you can put any name and address you want in the account. It's prepaid so there are no identity or credit checks. If it really bothers you and you want to keep the number just buy vouchers in Alberta an manually top up the account.

Alex722
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes, I got the number while I lived in BC, I have been paying the 7% extra for years.  I assumed that when I transfer the number to a new provider, this is the chance to finally set it right. But doesn't seem that way. I guess I have to get a new number to do that, which is frustrating. 

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@dust2dust @kb_mv Thank you for the clarification. I learnt something new today! 

@Andy85- As mentioned, it's all about the area code of the number. The address can be anything. Only the area code decides the applicable taxes.

@Andy85 The OPs address on the account is irrelevant. Taxes are paid based on the number and area code assigned to the account. If they have a BC number there is nothing customer service can do for them.

Andy85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @Alex722 ,

I would suggest reaching out to a Customer Service agent in relation to this issue. Here is the link where you can explain the situation to them. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Out of curiosity, did you previously live in BC at the time of purchase of your plan? Additionally, is your current address on your account associated with your current Alberta address? 

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Alex722 I'm guessing you have a BC number? That would be why, tax is paid based on the area code of your number. To avoid this you can purchase vouchers in Alberta and manually add the funds to your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.