cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience transferring from Virgin Mobile

mobileboi
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have just switched from Virgin Mobile to Public Mobile and love it so far. This is my complete switching experience.

Getting the sim: I purchased the sim card from a local Walmart. I knew about the option of having the card shipped to me, but picking it up from a store just feels quicker and I picked up some grocery on the way. The sims are not on display anywhere, when I asked a Walmart employee to purchase the sim, she asked me if I knew which plan I wanted choose with Public mobile. I told her my choice very specificly, knowing she might try to change my mind with other higher premium plans that Walmarts offers. She then recognized that it's a great plan and pulled out the sim card from a drawer. It was $10 + tax.

Activating the sim: After getting home I get on the activation page of Public mobile and I was asked to type in information such as the sim card number, payment information, personal information such as address and phone number, and old Virgin Mobile account number. The processing time was about 30 seconds after clicking submit. Then when I get the confirmation through email, I poped the new sim card into my phone and I got reception right away. 5 bars in North York, Ontario! I tried using the data and it worked as well. 

Checking my Virgin Mobile account: I called Virgin mobile almost right after the activation just to make sure it's canceled so I don't get doubled charged. They confirmed that my account had been canceled simply through the activation of my new Public Mobile account, providing I had given Public Mobile my old Virgin mobile account number and phone number. 

Experience: This whole experience has been hassle-free and reliable. I'm starting to feel that there is really little to no benefit of going to a kiosk or store just to have the employee there  transfer your account. Saves some money comparing to other providers and can have the peace of mind knowing exactly what you paid for. Thanks Public Mobile! 

10 REPLIES 10

@Amresh wrote:

My Haryana number is loest xxxxxxxxxx plz replay

Hi,

As his is an older thread could you start a new article and give more information about what your situation is?

thanks

Amresh

My Haryana number is loest xxxxxxxxxc plz replay

Edited by computergeek541: personal information removed

@MightyKappa wrote:

Thank you for the detailed post! I just ported over from virgin also. Do you see the additional3GBB from the promo on your account status yet? Or will it come later on?

If you've signed up with one of the plans eligible then you will get the bonus data but it could take upto 7 days for it to appear in your account.  Welcome to PM.

Edit: apologies for the duplicate post...shouldn't have tried to respond on a 4" phone screen!

@MightyKappa wrote:

Thank you for the detailed post! I just ported over from virgin also. Do you see the additional 3GB from the promo on your account status yet? Or will it come later on?

If you've signed up with one of the plans eligible then you will get the bonus data but it could take upto 7 days for it to appear in your account.  Welcome to PM

MightyKappa

Thank you for the detailed post! I just ported over from virgin also. Do you see the additional 3GB from the promo on your account status yet? Or will it come later on?

raineywillow

I also became a new member to the Public Mobile familty and was also a previous Virgin Mobile customer for over 12 years. When they wouldn't offer me a loyalty plan I knew that they no longer "shared the love" that they state !!! So far I am extremely satisifed with both the service and connection, switching was a breeze even without help. Just bummed that I missed out on the promotion of switching that Public Mobile just announced, oh well .....

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for sharing the fantastic user experience.  There are many here that hold the belief that this type of customer service is perfect. 

Awesome to read a happy experience!  Welcome.  Since you came from Virgin,, your coverage will be the same on this network.

We in Ontario and a few others provinces know the poor pricing of the big 3 in our areas.

pulp74
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Welcome to Public Mobile! Thanks for great detailed walkthrough - could be useful for new customers thinking to move to Public Mobile. I am sure you will enjoy the service. Good luck! 

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hi @mobileboi!

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Its great to read your detailed account of how you joined PM.  I hope you love being with PM as much as I do.  Read up on the rewards and you will see that your bill will be even lower. 

FYI:  When you click submit and get to the next page with confirmation of new account, your service becomes active instantly.  The porting of your number is what takes about half hour in most cases.. sometimes longer.  

Feel free to participate in the community. 

Need Help? Let's chat.