cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing WhatsApp profile associated with NEW Public Mobile number

AmiC
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,
I just opened an account for my daughter, and when I wanted to send her a WhatsApp message, a picture of a different person was associated with her phone number.
Could it be that the phone number we purchased for her account is already associated with a different user? How could this be resolved?

7 REPLIES 7

AmiC

Thank you!

@AmiC wrote:

I guess my question is whether Public Mobile may have assigned a phone number that was already in use, and what can be done to resolve this on their end?

For that type of situation, the only resolution would be a change of phone number.  Your daughter can do that from within the Public Mobile self serve account.

AmiC

Thanks!
We haven't yet migrated her account from her previous number to this one, since we were concerned that there may be a security issue or some other problem with 2 users having been allocated the same number.

From the replies I gauge that this is not likely, and that it simply appears that Public Mobile has recycled a number from a previous user, who seems to have had a WhatsApp account associated with this number, which retains his picture. Do you think this may be the case?

@BKNS27 wrote:

@AmiC 

When you open a WhatsApp account with her PM number. WhatsApp will send a 2FA code by text or call to complete the account.

Did she get the text?

That process would only move the already existing WhatsApp account to a different device.  It would not delete the old account and all history and contacts from the other person's account would still be there.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@AmiC 

When you open a WhatsApp account with her PM number. WhatsApp will send a 2FA code by text or call to complete the account.

Did she get the text?

AmiC

Thanks,
I guess my question is whether Public Mobile may have assigned a phone number that was already in use, and what can be done to resolve this on their end?

@AmiC wrote:

I just opened an account for my daughter, and when I wanted to send her a WhatsApp message, a picture of a different person was associated with her phone number.
Could it be that the phone number we purchased for her account is already associated with a different user? How could this be resolved?

This isn't a Public Mobile issue, unless of course they have mistaken assigned a phone number that was already in use.  If all the Public Mobile services are working, the choices are to change have your daugther change the phone number or to contact WhatsApp to seek resolution.

Need Help? Let's chat.