cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exact cancellation date when porting to Telus.

Weslemlake
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I will be porting to Telus once I get their sim card in the mail, which was supposed to be today, but the tracking now shows delivery as tomorrow, May 15.  My account is due: 'Payment Due Before: May 15, 2020.' Will I lose my number if I don't pay again today, May 14th?  Or is there a grace period as I'm going to Telus? Thanks in advance.

14 REPLIES 14

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@popping 

I am thinking its the international sim that would be it right? As there is no spefic one for outbound sim to canada?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kselmak wrote:

@brettster99 

I heard about that, there is a Hong Kong roaming sim, I've seen somebody use it I Toronto. When you have double sim phone it may be good option. I now forgot the details and how much it was, but I believe it was 'unlimited' fup was more than 40 gigs. 

Do you know the name of it? Or a other name

Hong Kong 7-11 store

https://www.7-eleven.com.hk/en/service/prepaid-sim

@brettster99 

I heard about that, there is a Hong Kong roaming sim, I've seen somebody use it I Toronto. When you have double sim phone it may be good option. I now forgot the details and how much it was, but I believe it was 'unlimited' fup was more than 40 gigs. 

Do you know the name of it? Or a other name

@Weslemlake 

Best wishes 

When your needs change again you know how easy it is to get back

And the same rule holds for the port back.

brettster99

@Weslemlake 

That makes sense but more me personally I would never pay $125 for the 50GB telus plan. Rather get an overseas sim that allows the data to be used all for roaming. 

@Weslemlake ah understandable. Well sad to see you go have a good one! I have a friend that uses 80g and is with Bell because they gave him the best deal. 

@Naepalm 

Exception is Telus/Koodo

You may need talk to customer service

They will be happy to see you come under the same roof

Weslemlake
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for help, leaving as require more data.  Got telus' 50 gb Plan.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Weslemlake 

If with Telus you are fine

In-house transfers can be done even with expired account especially when you upgrade.

Make sure you remove your credit card or they will charge you at midnight

Sorry to see you go though

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

quick responses! good job guys!

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@Weslemlake  I think it does actually have to be active? Ill do a quick search and edit my reply if it is different. 

Is there anyway we could convince you to stay? Why are you leaving Public?

So read through this article and it says the only caveat is that your account has to be active. Apparently they are not allowed to stop you from porting so as long as your number is available then it should not be a problem. 

"If your account is closed due to non-payment, or you close the account yourself before porting the number, you will likely lose it"

So in your case you would be good if you waited until after 90 days it wouldn't. 

https://www.cellphones.ca/cell-plans/p/phone-number-porting-10089/

brettster99

@Weslemlake 

Sorry to see you leave. But you don't need to make any payments or anything (just remember to remove CC from the account) to avoid autopay. 

The account will get Suspended which is basically a hold. So when you do port over to Telus you can take your phone number with you on suspended account status. But after 90 days the account will become permernately deleted so no worries after you have left

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Weslemlake Sorry that you faced this.... enjoy Telus service, and no, you don't need to pay.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

Sorry To see you go @Weslemlake . The good news is that your PM account does not have to be active to port your number to Telus or Koodo.  Stay safe. 

Need Help? Let's chat.