cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty of Obtaining Receipts

dj_ilon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I don't want to be a disruptive individual but why is it so difficult to obtain receipts for payments?

I require my receipts for both, expenses and my personal records and I have to jump through a whole new set up of hoops everytime I request this and it is frustrating.  This time around, they asked for me ot remove my SIM card to give them the SIM card #; not only is it something I don't like doing (I have to remove my case, find a pin, read tiny grey writing) - I just find it absurd.

I'm going to go on a limb and even assume that it is required by law in Canada to provide a transaction receipt for my funds. 

I am happy to verify who I am but for these admins to keep asking different questions, at increased levels of irritability is bizarre to me.

60 REPLIES 60

"If" the request is for income tax receipts. 

And "if" the user uses NetFile.

It would only be upon an audit that receipts would have to be produced and what I am suggesting could be used and would be up to CRA to accept or refuse. And I have found CRA to be fairly reasonable. 

Telus prepaid has official receipts????

trust me, official receipt will be a bit more than query database.  I worked on project like this before.   

Its not just the database query but the composing the of receipt.  They need to make a pdf and save a copy for everyone in every cycle themselves too (there are some legal issue when it comes to an official receipt).  It's not hard (as Telus and Koodo already has it.).  But since PM doesn't have it yet, it will be a project and not just turning on the switch.   

Of course, with multi billion business like Telus, it's doable.  The cost might be huge to me but  it  just a faction of the cost to them.  

@dj_ilon wrote:

I don't understand why my receipt is not available after I make a payment. 

You can do a screen print as a receipt from your transaction activity. But shows no taxes. 

Alternatively you can prepay yourself vs using auto-pay and you can generate a receipt for amount paid, plus taxes.  

@hTideGnow 

It's not as difficult as you describe.

You can already view usage history and transaction history "on the fly". Any requests through a convoluted Byzantine hierarchy are already being handled automatically on the backend.

So the database queries aren't the issue, the size and complexity of Telus-beyond-Public-Mobile isn't an issue.

You can't export the data in some kind of printable format. This is just a website limitation (and an arbitrary policy decision). If they wanted to allow users to export as pdf or excel or whatever then they could easily provide the feature just like a thousand other account-/payment-based business websites already do.

I'm not talking about requesting backreceipts from months and years long ago. I'm just talking about being able to save or print a receipt when payment for service is received.

@Korth  yes, cos Terms and Conditions are more static document compares with statements.  And in any legal dispute, PM would tells you have already have the T&C handy LoL

As for statement, it seems simple.  But the truth is that, it's not query the DB and create the statement on the fly.   I work in similar statement project before, it's actually a full system that generates all the statements and then push to the server for client to access.    It can easily be a 12-24 hours run to generate a full statement run for all users at the same time.  (of course, PM statement cycle is different for each person, spread out across the 30 days)   

With Telus size,  they certainly can have this implement.  But I am certain, it down to the fact that it's a Tier 3 business, they don't want extra cost out of it.  I guess if more than 20% of the clients ask for it and they find it actually costing more  to create them ad-hoc, they will then consider to generate it for everyone.  

@HALIMACS wrote:

@dj_ilon 

Prepaid services generally do not provide receipts or statements for services, unless specifically requested.

The reason you're being asked all these verification questions is to ensure you are the customer of record and not another individual looking to attain these documents.

Ultimately, these processes are there to protect your privacy of information.

A Self-Serve option to "print receipt" should be made available. And is also not very hard to make available, assuming the business has technical competency. Public Mobile seems able and eager to provide every customer with ways to download printable versions of Terms of Service/etc ... so why are they unable or unwilling to do the same for payment histories?

If you're already able to login Self-Serve then you're already "verifying" your identity and able to access personal/private information. You're even able to review usage history and payment history ... there's really no excuse for failing to provide this information in a printable format.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dj_ilon : Maybe they haven't been satisfied with your answers. You would want them to be sure you're you.

dj_ilon

hi @BearFBI  it is; I have an iPhone X 

The receipts were fine up until last few when they started 'challenging' me with wild questions. 

@dj_ilon if you are asking receipts for 4 lines I agree that is a huge headache. for your scenario, if you are receiving a nice tax benefit for your phone bills then go with the provider that is most convenient. 

Koodo prepaid has similar options to pm with add-on rollover, but the add-ons cost a lot more. they also have a referral credit of $10 for both parties which can save you $70-80 for your 4 lines. you won't receive a reoccurring $1 discount every 30 days though

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dj_ilon Well if PM isint right for you then you might as well switch. 

Just saying the cost of data addons or extra data is expensive anywhere. 15$ for 1GB is not bad considering other carriers charge that per 100mb.

I could give ya a few suggestions on carriers. I just need to know, Is your phone a Dual SIM phone ?

dj_ilon

@BearFBI @gpixel also keep in mind that i'm doing this for 4 lines... that can't be consolidated here 

I appreciate everyone's help here; it helped me think through why PM is not right for me anymore. 

dj_ilon

@BearFBI 

I don't personally need that much data so I'm good with having 2.5gb less; Now, there have been months where I did use it all up and there have been months I had to renew my plan early because I used up my data, since the cost of top ups is just unreasonable with PM - so a lot of these 'discounts' should really be zoom'd and the cost should be averaged out to really get true pricing of PM 

dj_ilon

Thank you for chiming in with some senese @Camera4617 

What's $10-15/month for some sanity?  These hoops made sense when other carriers were $30-40 more... I did a quick inquiry with Virgin and their offered me a few bonuses that levels out the 'rewards' already.  

dj_ilon

@HALIMACS ; I have been obtaining them for the last 3+ years... just every request the questions get 'trickier' 

I just don't understand why a receipt can't be sent to the email address on file;

If you're protecting my identity and you need me to verify my email address, that means I have access to that email address... if I don't have access to that email address, then I won't get this receipt  

@dj_ilon 

Makes sense, here's what they look like, if you're curious.   It comes in PDF format:

HALIMACS_0-1618066031574.jpeg

In the request, provide them:

1. your registered e-mail address,
  2. your account number,
  3. the name on the account, and
  4. the subject phone number.

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BearFBI wrote:

@dj_ilon Well Public Mobile is 4G LTE as well. Just data speeds are throttled to 3mbps. 

You have to ask yourself. Do you really need 600Mbps speed on a data plan ? 

3mbps is a little low but you've went into Public knowing that you'll be getting 3G speeds. You've also lived with it for all this time. 

The only time you should be angry is if other carriers are offering 4G speed for the same price your paying now. If there offering Less data and a way higher price then there's nothing to complain about. Stick with Public.

If you want lightning fast mobile data so you can say that you can watch 10 4K moives on your mobile data at the same time go right again 

@BearFBI Nobody needs 600Mbps nor you will get it for that matter, but as far as I understood @dj_ilon answering the same questions every time to get receipt is not worth time and it is frustrating (which would be for me too). That is a customer of 4 years here and knows very well the cost that will be paying if ports out. LTE was just mentioned as a bonus, not the main reason. It's not always about $ amount you will be paying, sometimes is about your time spent for what should be a simple task. 

BearFBI

@dj_ilon Well Public Mobile is 4G LTE as well. Just data speeds are throttled to 3mbps. 

You have to ask yourself. Do you really need 600Mbps speed on a data plan ? 

3mbps is a little low but you've went into Public knowing that you'll be getting 3G speeds. You've also lived with it for all this time. 

The only time you should be angry is if other carriers are offering 4G speed for the same price your paying now. If there offering Less data and a way higher price then there's nothing to complain about. Stick with Public.

If you want lightning fast mobile data so you can say that you can watch 10 4K moives on your mobile data at the same time go right ahead.

dj_ilon

@BearFBI 

because that $14 is worth my sanity lol + it's 4G LTE vs 3G 

@HALIMACS 

For expense reporting purposes / taxes, you need a real receipt that outlines the HST etc.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@dj_ilon 

Could you just use the line item from your payment card which shows the date and time and payee as Public Mobile?

The statements provided by Public Mobile aren't much more thorough than what you can get from screenshotting your payment card entry and your  transaction history on self serve.

BearFBI

@dj_ilon If you have all those rewards why switch ? Im assuming with the 3$ Loyalty, 4$ reffer a friend, and 2$ autopay reward your saving 9$. 

The 50$ 10.5GB plan would be 41$. Why switch to Virgin and pay 14$ extra for 2.5 Gigs less of data. 

With every prepaied provider you will have to jump through hoops to get a recipt.

dj_ilon

@Dunkman to be honest, i just may - paying a few bucks more for a 4G network is worth it - especially not to deal with the BS of something as simple as a receipt; if i'm asked to jump through hoops next month i'm going to port out

dj_ilon

@gpixel i take advantage of the loyalty (since 2017), friends referrals (i have 4 lines with PM) and autopay... i don't know how you jumped to the conclusion that i don't take advantage of any of the rewards but thanks for chiming in lol 

typical webforum 

@dj_ilon just switch providers. you don't take advantage of the rewards anyways. virgin or Koodo prepaid will fit your needs better

@dj_ilon wrote:

@Dunkman an official receipt at time of payment with an HST # and the HST broken down is more than enough. 

PM isn't all that low cost really, I'm really considering switching given this ridiculousness. 

My current PM plan is $50 with 8.5GB on 3G with unlimited US and CAD talk 

VIRGIN has a 8gb, unlimited phone plan for $55 on 4G LTE

@dj_ilon 

I agree with you.  The higher PM plans are not competitive enough these days.  What keeps long term customers with PM is the rewards system.  Loyalty, autopay, friend referrals rewards, etc.

If interested, PM just change back to Canada wide calling plans (gave up on the province wide calling).  The $50 plan has 10.5 GB data now.  Check the plans section.  You can change plans on next renewal.  Or if you find a better deal, obviously can port out anytime (since no contract).  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dj_ilon submit your request via simon click the contact us (after clicking one time invoice, and it allows you to input your issue in a box then asks for account verification.

Message history dating back several years is irrelevant if your community account was hacked and mods asked the same questions your actual account would be at risk.

Wow that's really crazy and for such a simple thing too.

@dj_ilon 

If i was you (unless you are told by the next moderator that it's done and you will receive the file within 30 days in your inbox) i would start with providing account login address (did you change it before, they may have the old one on file, we used to be able to change login but the associated email would stay the same we would have to contact mods to charge it, if that's the case mention it)

Then i would provide that list above needed for the file and ask to provide me with the statement please.

dj_ilon

@kselmak can you share the link to the thread so I can share it with the moderators? 

Need Help? Let's chat.