cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data for only MMS

TylerN
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey there,

I’m curious if there is any way to have cellular data only activate for MMS, i.e., have cellular data on the whole time for MMS but effectively off for all other apps and processes. I’ve tried disabling everything in cellular data but system services still cause a trickle of data use. On iPhone6 if that matter. Cheers and thanks in advanced!

5 REPLIES 5

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@TylerNYou also need to limit Background App Refresh to Wifi only.

There is no way to modify MMSC in iPhone. So that route is out.

@TylerN wrote:

Hey there,

I’m curious if there is any way to have cellular data only activate for MMS, i.e., have cellular data on the whole time for MMS but effectively off for all other apps and processes. I’ve tried disabling everything in cellular data but system services still cause a trickle of data use. On iPhone6 if that matter. Cheers and thanks in advanced!

To keep MMS working but to stop data from being used from your plan, I believe that you would need to deliberately "break" the APN settings.  Although I have not tried, my guess would be to other change the APN type setting or to change the APN to from sp.mb.com to aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc.  Some carriers use seperate entries for cellular data and MMS and in those cases, the MMSC is sometimes entered in the APN field.  

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@TylerN wrote:

Hey there,

@TylerN If you want  to deny all apps including system processes except for MMS what you are describing is a Public Mobile talk and text plan without any data. Just configure the apn and your done.

Otherwise anytime you enable data within  the MMS app  the system processes will still use data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TylerN wrote:

Hey there,

Well...if you had a phone that allowed you to get under the hood...

this shows it's possible.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@TylerN I think you will always have a trickle thebest you can do is try and disable everything you can you dont even need a data plan here for mms to work

Need Help? Let's chat.