cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap watch phone

po
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Got my son a PM sim, but at the age of 11, apparently he doesnt want to carry a phone around... Fair enough... Anyone know if any of these watches will work from Amazon.com, or .ca?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_36_1?rnid=386442011&keywords=3g&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A1004...

43 REPLIES 43

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ragnar wrote:

If you can suggest a smartwatch that would work with PM, and allow me to call and text, I would really appreciate it!!!

@Ragnar mine does not have cellular mobile and I only ever use it tethered to my smartphone via Bluetooth, so I can't help you much here.  But as @GinYVR noted, look for something with a Nano SIM slot rather than eSIM.  I think at least some of the Urbane watches have that, so you might be barking up the right tree.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@RagnarFor a smart watch that would work independently from a phone with Public Mobile it has to accept the nano SIM it will eliminate a vast majority of watches for you.

Ragnar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I actually dont have a specific model number... I am trying to find a decent smart watch that can replace my smart phone as my mobile device. I want to cure my phone additiction, lol. Right now I am using an alcatel flip phone, but would rather have a smart watch as its a little less embarrassing and it would be one less thing in my pockets.

If you can suggest a smartwatch that would work with PM, and allow me to call and text, I would really appreciate it!!!

srlawren

@Ragnar wrote:

Would the LG Urbane Wearable Smart Watch work with PM?

@GinYVR wrote:

@RagnarDepends.. Public Mobile doesn't support eSIM so the watch will work if it is paired with a compatible phone with Public Mobile but the smart watch won't be able to connect to Public Mobile all by itself.

@GinYVR I'm not entirely sure that the Urbane uses eSIM, but it depends on the model.  @Ragnar do you have a more specific model number (for example, W150, W200, etc)?

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@RagnarDepends.. Public Mobile doesn't support eSIM so the watch will work if it is paired with a compatible phone with Public Mobile but the smart watch won't be able to connect to Public Mobile all by itself.

Ragnar

Would the LG Urbane Wearable Smart Watch work with PM?

srlawren

Thanks for sharing your experience, @PhoneBTool!  🙂

PhoneBTool

Well finally got a bit of time to take care of some oddball things waiting.

For me the posh micro-x phone has worked better than exptected for such a small device. Lets me wifi lync my larger tablet for the little bit of on the go data I need (I only browse normally at home). Although the data connection is not as strong than most phones due to the devices antenna size. It still lets me not need to drag around some giant phone just for the basics. As long as you do not have problems seeing or controlling such a small screen I have been able to even do some basic browsing when in urgent need. Texting is difficuly with big hands but not impossible and just fine if using a fine tip touch screen stylus.

I have also had no issues with the PM network since it is part of Telus'. That could be its own long term issue but not such a worry, being that I did not have to buy a locked/expensive device.

srlawren

@dboxtvinfo wrote:
Where are those 50$ phones for no data?

@dboxtvinfo are you asking about the phone that @po mentioned?  This one?  https://www.amazon.com/Smallest-Lightweight-Android-Smartphone-Unlocked/dp/B013788R24/ref=cm_rdp_pro...  If so, then they are on Amazon.  

PhoneBTool

Thanks very much. Ordering now and will be with PM by next month hopefully. Still too bad so little selection of small phones out there. Even all flip phones I could possbily get are bigger than this one way or another.

po

Hi

Apologies for the delay in updating.

The phone works with Public Mobile. Data is good. Whatsapp, play store work fine.

I modified the phone as per http://www.amazon.com/review/R2Y2VPDZUKA4IG/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B013788R24%C2%A0 I disabled/removed some bloatware but did not get much in the way of battery life. My son finds the phone too small! Theres no winning. However, the 50 bucks experiment was worth it. Its a backup phone for me and he can carry a small phone when he needs it.

I can answer any specifics..

Po

srlawren

Hi @dboxtvinfo.  What you are looking for, at a minimum, is HSPA/UMTS 3G frequencies at 850MHz and 1900MHz frequencies.  If the phone has that, and is unlocked (or locked to Telus or Koodo), then it should work just fine on PM.  If you want 4G LTE data (I think you indiciated you do not, but just in case), then look for the important Band 4 support on the phone.

PhoneBTool

@srlawren wrote:

Great stuff, @po!  Please do keep us posted, others may be interested in this phone at some point given the price point and small-hand-friendly size!  Also thanks for the info on 5dpackages, I will definitely be trying them out (though my frequency of ordering stuff from the US lately has decreased dramatically, given the weak dollar and all).  

You are correct srlawren....

@po please do update... I am currently trying to find an ultra small phone that still has android and standard features. This Posh Micro X S240 version A or B (do you know wich version you got) is my only current hope as so little is on the market. And also am looking at Public Mobile as my best network to switch to as Robb(g)ers is trying to now make me pay $50/m for a BYOP I have had for years with no data even.

Cheers

srlawren

Great stuff, @po!  Please do keep us posted, others may be interested in this phone at some point given the price point and small-hand-friendly size!  Also thanks for the info on 5dpackages, I will definitely be trying them out (though my frequency of ordering stuff from the US lately has decreased dramatically, given the weak dollar and all).  

@po I think it's still going to make a great purchase for your son - it fits his requirements perfectly. It's tiny, functional, supports 3G, runs Android, and is cheap! A shorter battery life is a small sacrifice to make for all that.

po

@7789849803 I was hoping that was because it was unusual in shape.. but didnt read that meaning into it. Perhaps I should have.

@po I think the best advice in that review is to carry a charging cable wherever you go. Aside from the battery issue though, this will be a fully functional phone, and that's a good thing!

po

@7789849803 it arrives Tuesday; will prob pick up a few days later.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2Y2VPDZUKA4IG/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B013788R24 gives a few ideas about how to improve the life of the battery. I'm prepared to have a go and get rid of some of the bloatware. We Public Mobilers dont like waste of space crap!

@po I'm very interested in knowing how long the battery lasts on that device. 3G networks use a lot of power, even just for standby, so hopefully the 650 mAh battery will last your son a whole day.

po

@emilyge0rgia I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013788R24/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1462453594&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords...

I will keep you all updated how it works on the network and with my son

@po Holy cow that's awesome! I'll definitely go there the next time I'm crossing the border! Thanks so much for letting me know!

po

And also an amazing ice cream place opposite. The kids size is enough to share between 2 people without problems and is about a dollar (a USD though). http://edaleendairy.com/content/blaine Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 8.37.49 PM.png

Thanks for letting me know, @po. 5d is nice and cheap, indeed.

po

@7789849803 - kinek is very good but expensive. I've had no probs with https://5dpackages.com/ - cheaper and theyre nice guys. No problems with them

po

Thanks all. I will keep you uptodate. I live about 1 km from the border so amazon.com is not an issue. I like the cheap small phone and am considering it. Its easy to give things back to amazon if they dont work as well! Its good to know that it works on the network, the only thing for me is that my son  will worry about losing the thing. Still, 50 USD down the drain could be worse.

@srlawren How's your experience been with Kinek? I use 5d and 24/7 parcel (both in Blaine), since their hours and convenient and rates super cheap (USD 2/3 per package).

srlawren

@emilyge0rgia wrote:
They do have some for way cheaper from the Amazon sellers on eBay that DO ship to Canada though, not sure why they don't ship to Canada on Amazon lol exact same acct names

Weird, eh?  Same seller, different shipping rules on different sites.  It might be an Amazon restriction more than the individual reseller.  Or perhaps the seller's supplier limits where they can ship on Amazon.  The politics are a mystery, but it's good to have options.  🙂

If you happen to live near the US border with a town across the line, there are various services (I use Kinek -- their Edge Logistics site in Blaine, WA, but there are others) that you can sign up to and ship to for a small fee, then drive across and pick up your order.  Often times this still ends up cheaper after exchange than ordering from the Canadian Amazon site, and since the destination address is in the US, you can get free shipping from Amazon.com and so on.  Just a thought.

imm1304

Hi @emilyge0rgia!  

This looks like a neat little device.  Dual sim if the picture is accurate, and works with T-mobile, and here is the best part:  even comes with a "Choking Hazard" warning on Amazon  😄

emilyge0rgia
Hopefully! I know it's pricey on Canadian Amazon but there are other websites I've seen it on for way cheaper and if @po is anywhere near the border there are places you can ship to in the US for a fee and they'll hold it until you pick it up

@emilyge0rgia Wow - that link in your last post might just have solved @po's dilemma.

@po: Do you have someone who can pick this up for you in the US and bring it to you?

Need Help? Let's chat.