cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad ESN

Marco4591
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Would a phone in the US registered with a bad ESN work in Canada or this network?

8 REPLIES 8

pmmobile
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Marco4591  Even if it does not work there is no guarantee that will continue to work if Telus gets around to updating the database with US info. You could go to a kiosk/store to put in a test PM SIM. This way you will not need to pay for the first month to ensure that it works since there are no refunds on PM (prepaid)

@Marco4591 wrote:

I entered the IMEI on TELUS and the phone is not reported lost or stolen and should work on their network?

That just only means that the device is not blacklisted either national, or internally by Telus.  I wouldn't assume that the compatibility check is always correct. The compatability checker sometimes says that a device is compatible when it isn't.  At the very least, ensure that your device has at least UMTS 850MHz and 1900MHz.

Marco4591

Checked the status on the site you just gave me and this was the response.........Your device HAS NOT been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist.

Obviously not an international 'blacklist'

Unfortunately if the phone is locked and has a bad ESN, the original provider will unlikely lock it for you.

You can check the Canadian blacklist here
https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

If it works, you can report your findings back here.

But in this case, google might be your friend for possible solutions.

Congrats then it should work. Do you know if it is unlocked? If it isn't contact the manufacturer and as them to unlock it for you.  Welcome to PM.

@Marco4591 wrote:

I entered the IMEI on TELUS and the phone is not reported lost or stolen and should work on their network?

Marco4591

Have you tried getting the esn cleaned by contacting the manufacturer? 

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Marco4591  No.

Need Help? Let's chat.