cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zenfone2 Laser (ZE551KL) Compatibility?

OttawaOldTimer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey All.

I’m about to switch to PM from Rogers. At the same time I’m going to pick up a new phone and want to make sure it will work properly at take full advantage of PC/Telus LTE Data network (along with voice and text).

The one I’m looking at is the Asus ZE551KL-15-3G16GN-SR Zenfone2 Laser from Staples. I noticed the LTE band 4 is only 1700MHz AWS. PM shows band 4 as 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz AWS.

Will 1700 ONLY limit the service in any way?

Thanks for any help!

The details on the model from Asus are below:

Network Standard:
WCDMA/HSPA+/FDD-LTE
Data Rate:
DC-HSPA+: UL 5.76 / DL 42 Mbps
LTE Cat4:UL 50 / DL 150 Mbps
2G :
GSM :
850(5)/900(8)/1800(3)/1900(2),
3G :
WCDMA :(US version)
850MHz(5)/900MHz(8)/1700MHz/1900MHz(2) /2100MHz(1)
4G :
LTE Bands: (US version)
2100MHz(1)/1900MHz(2)/1800MHz(3)/1700MHz AWS(4)/850MHz(5)/2600MHz(7)/900MHz(8)/700MHz(17)/800MHz(20)
SIM1 Support2G/3G/4G
SIM2 Support2G/3G/4G

14 REPLIES 14

JVdSousa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi OttawwaOldTimer

Good question ......  the setting that you are looking for is the 2G/3G/4G ......

With that setting your cell phone will be able to operate at any of the mention transmission specifacation that you make it available .......  Not to get into too much details, the cell phone will negotiate with the transmition tower as to what is the best option for you of the range that you set for.

and the cell phone will cvhange the frequency while you chat or download datat or surfe the internet. to offer you the best option for you at the time and depending of your reception quality, adjusting to different condition all the time. 

By selecting the wides range of choices i.e. 2G/3G/4G then your cell phone will have a wider range of transmition to do the negociastion with the transmition tower for best performance.

I hope that satisfies you question.

Jose

OttawaOldTimer

Yes thanks I had read the preferred setting was 3G/4G but the zenfone 2 laser I have only displays 3 options 2G, 2G/3G and 2G/3G/4G and that’s the setting I’m stuck with but it’s working well.

I’m please to also report I get 4G service and the data is smokin’ fast! I don’t find any difference between our wifi network and 4G!

I couldn’t be any happier with Public Mobile right now except if it was FREE 🙂

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@OttawaOldTimer congrats, and I'm glad you're enjoying your new phone!  Thanks for updating us!  One more note: in your network preferences, if there's an option for just 3G/4G, please use that, as Telus (PM's network) does not operate a 2G network at all.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

JVdSousa

Hi OttawaOldTimer

The Values that you are quoting of frequency (i.e. 1700MHz, 2100MHz), these are frequencies Radio Waves Length/cycles, as in the you normal radio that you listen to or TV channels and many other devices, if you can recall the  “CB Radio, 10-4 good buddy”.

These radio frequencies bands are FCC and correct me if I am wrong here “FCA ??” and are reserved for a specific purpose.

Some frequencies are reserved for normal radio that one listen to, other are reserved for TV channels, others are for satellite communication, others are for Police and emergency communication and the military also has a reserved range of frequencies to use along with marine, airplane and the list goes on.

Has the evolution on the cell phone progress and the demand of faster transition grew so the need to evolve to higher frequency become what is called the G, 2G, 3G and now 4G.

G and 2G is bean made redundant as people move to the higher band with the new cell phones.

You don’t need to worry about those number at all as all the cell phones that meet the 3G and 4G will all have the same set of frequencies band that is reserved for the phones that use that specific communication.

So don’t worry about what you see there, is just for FCC and FCA stamp of approval purpose and authorised to be sold in the North America and everywhere else around the world too.   

OttawaOldTimer

Oh I get it now. Perfect Thanks! 3G was obvious but not the H.

Hopefully I see some 4G action when I’m out and about tomorrow. I did set 2G/3G/4G in my preferred network setup.

Thanks again! 🙂

saukalra

Welcome to PM.

This image may help with the symbols. Each symbol correlates with a different upload and download speed. I am not sure why your data speed is constantly changing in the basement- perhaps it has to do with the strength of the signal in your basement.

main-qimg-721f4494c1c736b98a81eba2e842f778.png

OttawaOldTimer

Oh I also wanted to ask about the data display at the top of my phone.

In the basement here at home it cycles through three screens 3G, H and H+.

What is H and H+?

Thanks 🙂

I’m new to data and Android (ex iPhone user)

OttawaOldTimer

I just wanted to follow up and let everyone know tonight I got set up with the Zenfone 2 laser on Public mobile and it’s working flawlessly.

The IEMI checker on the PM page did not find my device so I was hesitant at first.

I used http://willmyphonework.net/ as recommended by many here and it reported it would work so I jumped in.

I should have chosen the 90 day to save upfront and access 2Gig’s of data per month but I wimped out and took just 30 days for this first term to cut my losses in the event something didn’t work. 🙂

If you scroll down the page at the link below they have several Staples coupons.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/canada/staples-deals-coupons-sales/

@OttawaOldTimer Also, I sent you a private message. Please feel free to read and respond to it whenever possible.

@OttawaOldTimer Where'd you find the coupon? Somewhere online? Is it publicly accessible?

OttawaOldTimer

Sure will!

20 off over 200 coupon ready to go.

Make sure your frind gets one online as well 🙂

@OttawaOldTimer I think this phone gives great bang for the buck, and I really admire that Asus only sells it unlocked. Will you be picking it up from Staples, as well?

OttawaOldTimer

Perfect! Thanks so much!

I’m new to Android and unlocked phones so the setup may be a tad more involved but happy to figure it out as I go for the significant savings. 🙂

I can barely see the old 4 inch screen I have now so I’m excited for this 5.5.  

My PM Sim came yesterday so I’ll pick this phone up up in the next few days and make the swap next week!

Mayor / Maire

@OttawaOldTimer This phone is fully compatible with both the 3G as well as 4G networks of Telus/PM. In fact, I might be helping a good friend of mine buy this very phone from Staples this week. She sought my help with picking her first smartphone, and this is the one that I intend to recommend to her. So, short answer, buy this phone without reservations about its compatibility.

Now for the longer answer: Band 4 is the main LTE band Telus uses, and this phone does support it. Regardless of whether you refer to it as 1700MHz or 1700/2100 MHz, it's the same band both entities are referring to. What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet...

But as you'll see in this other thread of mine, Telus does use several other bands for LTE, atleast here in British Columbia. The Zenfone 2 laser does support all these other bands as well. Profit!

Need Help? Let's chat.