cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area code / exchanges

tallgrass
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am in area code 506 (NB), in the Saint John local calling area. I can call my PM phone from a Saint John number without using the area code but not from Hampton where I live. The exchange here is 832. So when I use my home phone to call my PM phone I get a 'Your call cannot be completed as dialed' message unless I include the area code. Is that normal? I hope not. 

10 REPLIES 10

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I can't speak to the quirks in your particular situation @tallgrass; however, most of the country requires 10-digit dialing.  I remember when it was introduced in BC many years ago, and it was a bit weird at first but you do adapt pretty quickly.  I'd recommend you get used to it, as it's only a matter of time until it's required everywhere.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

tallgrass

This is all very confusing. The 832 (Hampton exchange) is owned by Bell. My other mobile (650 SJ) is also Bell. No area code required when dialing either way. My PM exchange is 566 (SJ), owned by Telus. From 832 to 566 I have to dial the 506 area code but from 566 I can call 832 with 7 digits. Very mixed up.

tallgrass

SJ to Hampton is not long distance on any carrier.

tallgrass

NB is all one area code. Hampton to SJ is not long distance on any carrier. The Rogers landline system uses 7 digit dialing for the whole province. On the PM system someone using a 7 digit number to reach me from Hampton will get an error message and they would never even consider that it's because they didn't use the area code. What you are saying is that we have to 're-educate' everyone in the province. Maybe some day when we have the population, but for now we enjoy 7 digit dialing under most circumstances. 10 digit dialing is an inconvenience we have not had to embrace yet but I'm guessing this will soon be considered normal here too.

@tallgrass wrote:

I am in area code 506 (NB), in the Saint John local calling area. I can call my PM phone from a Saint John number without using the area code but not from Hampton where I live. The exchange here is 832. So when I use my home phone to call my PM phone I get a 'Your call cannot be completed as dialed' message unless I include the area code. Is that normal? I hope not. 

You'e going to have to just dial the 1. Public Mobile cannot control this as it's the outgoing carrier that controls this.  It's possible that calling from Hampton to that area code 832 number really is long distance.  When making outgoing calls, some carriers will cAlsoomplete long distance calls without the need for dialing the 1, while some others will consdier the number to be invalid or otherwise require the 1. 

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tallgrass 

TIL that there are some areas still using 7 digit dialing, I thought 10 digit was required everywhere when the transition happened to us "back then" lol

According to wikipedia, "Permissive calling will start in May". (explanation of permissive calling) 

So for simplicity's sake I suggest you to start using 10 digit calling for all numbers from now on. 🙂

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@tallgrass Im in south western Ontario and have lived in the GTA for the last 20 years. We have always had to use the area code. The last time I remember not using the area code was when I lived in northern ontario in the 90's. 

Its not a Public Mobile issue its the area you are calling is too populated lol. 

Have a great Wednesday! 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@tallgrass the reason that may be happening is that it's the second set of numbers that determine whether your number is local or not. Ie xxx yyy xxxx. Please check the CNAC website to check if your number is local or not http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

So, your PM number may be local to St John and not Hampton. An option would be to try to catch a Hampton number by using the change number option in your self service account. Stay safe 

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@tallgrass To prevent call issues, just add +1 and area code to the number you call. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@tallgrass wrote:

Sorry, I have no experience of calling in NB but in BC we are required to call a 10 digit number all of the time.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.