cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Up-date?

David_T
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Greetings,

If I purchase a P/M Samsung Galaxy S9+, running Android 8.1, will Android up-date itself when I start to use the phone?

If 'Yes', is there a limit as to how many Android up-dates will be provided?

Thank You.

6 REPLIES 6

HI @computergeek541   Google has been very good in terms of support. They only guarantee 3 years of OS upgrade but they will surprise people to throw in extra upgrades from time to time.   I guess because Google has only one line of phone to deal with (pretty much like Apple), they have less work to maintain plus they can also use the "older" phone to test the OS as well

With Samsung, even top line  phones still only get 2 major OS updates and they stick firm on the promised cycle, no surprise

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @David_T 

This is the last year Samsung S9 getting update. It is getting only security update every quarter.  No Major OS update any more 

It's ironic that Google provides more major updates than Samsung does.  If we take the example of the Pixel 2, that device has received it's final update, while Samsung devices of that era are usually stuck on older Android version but still receive updates, although at a increasingly slower rate than before.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @David_T 

This is the last year Samsung S9 getting update. It is getting only security update every quarter.  No Major OS update any more 

David_T
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@David_T 

You will need to set your setting to automatic updates to OS Android 10 One UI 2.5.
Keep in mind that Android updates will continue up to 3 years so it is coming to the end of OS updates.

Samsung S9+ was released on March, 2018.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@David_T 

The amount of available device updates is manufacturer-specific and related to the age and support model for the particular device.

You would need to refer to the applicable manufacturer website for that particular model.

Need Help? Let's chat.