cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Pay now online

clarkbrand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

Has anyone tried Android Pay yet? I just added my cards but haven't had a chance to use it.

47 REPLIES 47

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I will have to try this out sometime.

It's true though. There are just so many out there. It gets a bit much at times. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I set up Android Pay just now, using my BMO Mosaic MasterCard.  Not too bad, though I had to download the BMO app in order to verify the card for use in Android Pay which was a bit odd.  I'm not sure if I need to keep the app or if I can ditch it.  Probably the latter.

When you first bring up the app, it offers to add the card you use with Google Play.  Unforutnately, mine is a CUETS MasterCard (offered up by the credit union where I do most of my banking) and isn't yet compatible.  But at least I can try with my BMO card.  🙂  

Now to find somewhere I can use it.....

EDIT: they tell you right in the app:

Screenshot_20170531-131723.pngScreenshot_20170531-131750.png

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Samianauman wrote:
It's only compatible with cibc currently

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/ways-to-bank/ways-to-pay/samsung-pay.html

@Samianauman that's SAMSUNG Pay.  Android Pay is available with more:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/05/31/android-pay-canada-officially-available/

EDIT:  And I quote:

Google has revealed that the Android-based payment platform is compatible with a number credit cards — both MasterCard and Visa — from a variety of Canadian banks, including the following: BMO, CIBC, Banque Nationale, Scotiabank, Desjardins, President’s Choice Financial, ATB Financial and Canadian Tire Financial Services support Android Pay. Furthermore, support for American Express cards and Tangerine will be coming soon, says Google.

Two notable missing Canadian financial institutions at launch are TD and RBC.

When asked about TD and RBC’s absence from Android Pay’s launch partner list, Spencer Spinnell, Google’s director of emerging platforms, explained that the tech giant hopes to add more financial institutions to the platform in the future.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

I just downloaded too its nice but not compatible yet with lots of bank or cc issuers like I was only able to connect pc financial i also tried rbc debit walmart card mbna none seems to be woeking as of now but its just launch in cananda so far its good to be have it just In case if you really need need it when plastic not available also you don't need nfc sim either phone nfc required its optional to have a nfc sim card
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

ChopstickHero
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Chaos_Scorpio wrote:

im installing it now...

When are they going to put a chip in my arm and I can just tap my arm?

Already done! Do it!

Chaos_Scorpio

im installing it now...

When are they going to put a chip in my arm and I can just tap my arm?

ChopstickHero
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am I do not disagree with you.  But on those days when the card was mistakenly left at home, and I need to pay for fuel, or groceries, etc...  It sure would be handy if I could tap my phone, if I didn't have cash.

Agreed, very handy when I don't need/want to bring my wallet everytime I step out of the office or house. I use Apple Pay almost everywhere that accepts tap now.

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am I do not disagree with you.  But on those days when the card was mistakenly left at home, and I need to pay for fuel, or groceries, etc...  It sure would be handy if I could tap my phone, if I didn't have cash.

Tie this one around your finger...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DPvLDM5ibQ

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is all about making interest charges off of those who have an excess propensity to spend than make money.  Everybody wants a slice of this pie.  I have been swiping plastic all my life, I am totally happy to continue to doing it.  This is a solution looking for a problem.  Meh to all the android pay, samsung pay, apple pay...

@stonechucker its true, canada is much more regulated than the states for example in terms of banking. In the states there are so many different banks, compared to here where we have maybe less than 10 banks. (RBC,CIBC,SOCTIA,BMO,TD, Tangerine) ect

Im using apple pay and Im not having issues with making payments. You do need NFC for the phone, Im not sure about a NFC sim card though. Anywhere that accepts tap as a payment should work for android pay. Try a McDonalds, I recently saw an android pay sticker on the door

Too many rules and regs to do this stuff easily in Canada.

I've got a ScotiaBank app that they tell me works on ALL Android, but I thought you require NFC capable phone, and an NFC Sim to do so.

My phone has NFC (Nexus 5), however not my Public Mobile SIMcard.

I haven't tried it, I don't know where to try it.

It's like Android Auto and Apple's CarPlay.  Just get them in the cars (both capable) and let me use it!

Android or Samsung pay still way behind if compared with Apple pay
Lots of big retailer accept Apple pay as well looks like apple pay beat Android pay in Canada at least
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

@Acekiller i really dont get samsung pay tbh, samsung runs on android with their own "skin" overtop of it. I just see it as a way to compete with Apple. Seeing how its those two going neck and neck in phones and tech. Not even sure if Samsung pay is supported in Canada yet. If i had a samsung, id stick to android pay

Acekiller

There's too many... apple pay, android pay, samsung pay..

It's only compatible with cibc currently

https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/ways-to-bank/ways-to-pay/samsung-pay.html

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

android pay is out now? Took them a while. I had an android phone, but now i have an iphone- waiting to go back to android. Are all the banks supported, or is it only a few like RBC or something.

I bet its similar to apple pay. I only use it in smaller locations because its convient for small purchases. It should work anywhere that accepts tap.

Need Help? Let's chat.