cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 9 updates?

damonanderson70
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have an LG K20, with public mobile service, purchased it at Walmart. The latest security update I have is February 2020 according to what is stated in settings. I purchased this phone about 3 months ago. Are there security etc updates for Android 9 with public mobile? I have used the update option in settings, it always says I have the latest version, although I am aware there have been several updates since February. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@damonanderson70 

Thanks for the post !

K20 is not listed on the PM compatibility listing, but it looks like you're a tried it and functioning user of PM with this unit.

And as of today,  within a couple retailer's specs listing, Telus is listed as the carrier for the unit.

dougc

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@damonanderson70  Was it advertised as a carrier phone? Which carrier? Some carriers have software update sites like this one

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility/Software-Update-Schedule/ta-p/53566

The K20 isn't in that Telus list of recent updates but check with another carrier for and update list and schedule if the phone was sold by them.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

In recent years, android has separated security updates from other bloatware updates developed by the OEMs.  Google provide the base OS security updates to the OEMs on a monthly basis and it is up to them to scrutinize the security updates for impact to the rest of the OEM software before issuing the OTA to customers.  All OEMs seem to play nicer with security updates presumably because of customer awareness.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gblackma wrote:

@Anonymous  According to this article you sjould recive quarertly update until the end of the year. Then no more. https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-still-getting-security-updates/

Indeed. Part of the reason I've been trying to get a mid-range current model that suits my wishes.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

There will be delay after LG released the update before providers release the update.

@Anonymous  According to this article you sjould recive quarertly update until the end of the year. Then no more. https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-still-getting-security-updates/

that's pretty good on Samsung to keep pushing updates for your s7. lg isn't on the same level though. Samsung is a lot closer to the pixel line and apple on security updates

*nevermind I just found an August 2020 update from the Verizon carrier for lg k20

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gpixel wrote:

@damonanderson70 Google is now on Android 10 going to 11. I think the update you currently have is the latest update for your phone. look again at the date I think it's Feb. 2019 not 2020

My S7 running A8 is Feb 2020. It is not upgradeable to 9 or 10 (or 11).

Some bloatware would hint at it originally being a Bell phone. I bought it used. So maybe Bell is still sorta kinda pushing updates to it but I doubt it. Or Samsung via Bell. Dunno.

@damonanderson70 do you have a Google account attached to your phone? Thanks. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@damonanderson70 Google is now on Android 10 going to 11. I think the update you currently have is the latest update for your phone. look again at the date I think it's Feb. 2019 not 2020

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@damonanderson70  Updates are provided by the manufacturer. If you want timely updates then you need to purchase a Google Pixel or a Google One phone for Android or an iPhone.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@damonanderson70 wrote:

I have an LG K20, with public mobile service, purchased it at Walmart. The latest security update I have is February 2020 according to what is stated in settings. I purchased this phone about 3 months ago. Are there security etc updates for Android 9 with public mobile? I have used the update option in settings, it always says I have the latest version, although I am aware there have been several updates since February. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PM does not sell phones.  

Ask Walmart which provider your LG K20 is from.  

First, it is up LG to release any update for LG K20.

Second, the provider for your LG K20 needs to release it before you get any update.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Updates would be provided by the manufacturer.  Check the LG website for any software updates.

Need Help? Let's chat.