cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation and Port Issue

awalsh5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just left my local Wal-Mart very dissatisfied with my first connection with Public Mobile. I have a cellphone that was previously on the Telus Network and was told switching service to Public would be a breeze. After an hour and a half, and two phone calls by the employee to Public, I still have no cell service. When I put in my SIM card, my iPhone reads "iPhone Not Activated" and instructs me to contact my carrier. My Telus SIM card is still working, though I was told that the activation and port were both completed, then that the activation was fine but porting the number didn't work, and then the opposite. I am incredibly frustrated and cannot say that this is a good first experience. I do hope that this can be fixed ASAP, as I gave my credit card information and have already been charged for cell phone service that I cannot use.

I was told that I would recieve a phone call or e-mail from Public and have recieved neither over an hour later.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If the phone is two years old, it could be locked.  It is only since Dec.1st 2017 that all new phone must be unlocked... abd that older phone must be unlocked by the carrier at no charge.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/crtc-wireless-code-cellphone-1.4161711

awalsh5

The phone is only 2 years old, but I’ll give TELUS a call tomorrow and see if unlocking it makes a difference. 

at risk of sounding repetitive, my mothers phone was purchased days after mine and she encountered none of these issues. Hers is a 7 while mine is a 6S but I don’t know that it would make that much of a difference. I’m assuming if hers transferred easily and the network lock wasn’t the issue mine wouldn’t be either. 

bishamon

@awalsh5 wrote:

I read something relating to that, but it's only an issue with the PM SIM card and not the Telus. My Find my iPhone was turned off, as I just had my phone repaired through Apple, so as far as I understand Activation Lock shouldn't be turned on? I could sign in with my Apple ID just fine when I backed up my phone just now.

Not to mention the fact that the Telus network is still active when the SIM is inserted, and I haven't been disconnected from my Telus account though my mother has been. I don't know much about it, but that makes me thing it's more of a porting issue than anything else. I could be wrong though.

@CS_Agent 

Hi,

This does sound like it coud be network locked.  How long ago did you get the iphone?  If it was more than 3 years back and you got it from a carrier, it coud be network locked.

As previously suggested, maybe try the Public Mobile SIM in another phone that is unlocked, and also compatabile with Public Mobile.

kimavi

i moved to pm yesterday from koodo...was at walmart at missisauga rd in brampton.. the rep warned me there might be delays because he had experienced with other koodo clients... i took the chance by the port over was a breeze... instantaneous for me.. hope for the best for you

@awalsh5 wrote:

I'll try and be patient and see if it's just the network issues! And if I'm still having issues with it tomorrow I'll try my mother's phone; that's a great idea. I'm using my Telus SIM for now so at least I can make calls in emergencies!

Thank you both for your help. I'll update as things change.

FYI this is a good post to reference regarding iOS and APNs for Public Mobile.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323118#M24562%C2...

Dylan3
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You should wait at least a day before contacting public mobile

Because they might be busy and it takes them a while to respond to things

awalsh5

I read something relating to that, but it's only an issue with the PM SIM card and not the Telus. My Find my iPhone was turned off, as I just had my phone repaired through Apple, so as far as I understand Activation Lock shouldn't be turned on? I could sign in with my Apple ID just fine when I backed up my phone just now.

Not to mention the fact that the Telus network is still active when the SIM is inserted, and I haven't been disconnected from my Telus account though my mother has been. I don't know much about it, but that makes me thing it's more of a porting issue than anything else. I could be wrong though.

@CS_Agent 

JaimeLaPizza
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Could this have something to do with the iPhone activation lock ? 

Unlock Activation Lock

The purpose of Activation Lock is to keep your iPhone, and the data on it, safe if your iPhone is stolen. If the phone you are trying to activate has an Activation Lock then it may still be locked to a previous user (perhaps it is a second-hand model). To turn off Activation Lock you will need to enter the previous user’s Apple ID and password, or ask them to log into Find my iPhone and remove that iPhone from their iCloud account. Alternatively, you may be able to call AppleCare or go to an Apple Store and as long as you are able to present proof of ownership and Apple is able to confirm it is your iPhone they may be able to remove the Activation Lock for you.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-fix-could-not-activate-iphone-error-3666588/

awalsh5

I'll try and be patient and see if it's just the network issues! And if I'm still having issues with it tomorrow I'll try my mother's phone; that's a great idea. I'm using my Telus SIM for now so at least I can make calls in emergencies!

Thank you both for your help. I'll update as things change.

Andrewpcheng
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Please try your sim card on your mother's phone.  If it works, then we know it's something with your phone.  I'd still try to unlock the phone from the carrier, its supposed to be free, doesn't hurt to try.  Worst cast scenario, format your phone and see if that works.  

@awalsh5 wrote:

It says active! All the right things were done, it seems. I know it can sometimes take a few hours for it to all connect, but it's been a few and still nothing. 

If that's the case then just be patient I heard that Telus was having issues with their network today so maybe it's taking a little longer then usual but once the port completes everthing should start working.

awalsh5

It says active! All the right things were done, it seems. I know it can sometimes take a few hours for it to all connect, but it's been a few and still nothing. 

awalsh5

The SIM was double checked, my phone is compatiable, and I was told because Telus and PM use the same networks, and they're affilated, unlocking through the carrier wasn't necessary. My mother only an hour before switched to PM and had no issues; our phones were on the same account. 

@awalsh5 wrote:

I've restarted my phone several times over the last couple of hours and still get No Service. I took the SIM out and put it back in and get the same "iPhone Not Activated" message. I sent the same message to the moderators and hope they can help me soon! 

I was under the same impression @geopublic but that was what the folks on the phone told the employee who was assisting me. They took an alternate phone number and an email address from me, saying they might need more information. The fact that I'm still connected to the Telus network just fine gives me the impression that something isn't working properly.

If the SIM was activated properly you should at least be able to connect to PM and make calls while the port from Telus completes. Usually it takes a couple of hours for the port to complete so it's best to just keep your Telus SIM in your phone until it stops working. Once that happens it means th port is complete and if you insert your PM SIM into your phone then you should be able to use your phone as per your plan details.

The fact that your phone is not connecting to PM suggeest something else is missing. Hopefully the moderators figure it out.

Were you able to login to your selfserver account and check your account status. Does it show active? To login into your account just scroll up to the top right of this page and click on My Account 

Hope this helps!

Andrewpcheng
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

two problems i can think of.

1.  Public mobile sim card is faulty.

2.  the iphone you have isn't compatible.

3. phone not unlocked

Did you check your phone via compatiblity via the public mobile website?

Other than that, it might be iphone, its not compatible with the public mobile bands.

Hopefully its just that you didn't unlock the phone

Sorry to hear your having that problem.

awalsh5

I've restarted my phone several times over the last couple of hours and still get No Service. I took the SIM out and put it back in and get the same "iPhone Not Activated" message. I sent the same message to the moderators and hope they can help me soon! 

I was under the same impression re: calling/emailing - but that was what the folks on the phone told the employee who was assisting me. They took an alternate phone number and an email address from me, saying they might need more information. The fact that I'm still connected to the Telus network just fine gives me the impression that something isn't working properly.

awalsh5

I was under the same impression @geopublic but that was what the folks on the phone told the employee who was assisting me. They took an alternate phone number and an email address from me, saying they might need more information. The fact that I'm still connected to the Telus network just fine gives me the impression that something isn't working properly.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@awalsh5 wrote:

I just left my local Wal-Mart very dissatisfied with my first connection with Public Mobile. I have a cellphone that was previously on the Telus Network and was told switching service to Public would be a breeze. After an hour and a half, and two phone calls by the employee to Public, I still have no cell service. When I put in my SIM card, my iPhone reads "iPhone Not Activated" and instructs me to contact my carrier. My Telus SIM card is still working, though I was told that the activation and port were both completed, then that the activation was fine but porting the number didn't work, and then the opposite. I am incredibly frustrated and cannot say that this is a good first experience. I do hope that this can be fixed ASAP, as I gave my credit card information and have already been charged for cell phone service that I cannot use.

I was told that I would recieve a phone call or e-mail from Public and have recieved neither over an hour later.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

My understanding is that Public Mobile does not call or email they will only send you a text. Did you restart your phone to see if it connects to the PM network?

You should contact the moderators by clicking here

The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Need Help? Let's chat.