cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G+?

bryanbreguet
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I just got a OnePlus 3 and I noticed that I was getting (at times) 4G+ instead of LTE. I'm in Vancouver.

Is it just a different kind of LTE network and my previous phones wasn't getting it (or was indicating LTE only)?

It was only going into 4G+ while actually downloading things (on a website, twitter, etc).

Just curious.

26 REPLIES 26

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Funny, I took a screenshot of something to send to a couple of friends yesterday, and when I looked at the screen shot later, I realized that 4G+ was displaying in my status bar!  I hadn't noticed it while I had it.  And I haven't seen it again before or since.  But, it's out there!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
This is great news, I'll have to search around and see where it's available. I wonder how it would show up on an iPhone.

bryanbreguet

Ok so I lookedinto it while I was downloading a file and the phone was in 4G+ mode. Instead of simply saying LTE under the settings, it was saying "LTE_CA".

It seems this is indeed LTE advanced. So it's confirmed we get it with PM, but the speed isn't necessarily a lot faster than regular LTE.

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren thanks.

srlawren

@bryanbreguet wrote:

Where exactly do I check this? I can't find it.

@ckl wrote:

Each manufacturer has a different menu setup in Android. Since @srlawren as the same phone, maybe he can help you find the setting.

@bryanbreguet if I've got the right thing, you can find it by.....

Go to settings

tap on About phone

tap on Status at the top of the About phone

tap on SIM status (3rd from the top)

make sure you have your PM SIM card selected, not the other slot

look at the "Cellular network type" value shown (3rd from the top). 

Mine currently says just "LTE".

EDIT: fixed editing issue in my quoting 🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ckl

@bryanbreguet

Each manufacturer has a different menu setup in Android so it's hard to give you exact instructions. I have an LG G3, which has tabbed pages for settings. But basically, you should be able to find it if you look for the setting that says something like "About Phone" right around the developer options. In there, there should be more options, one of which is "Network". In there you'll find your IP address network provider and network type.

Since @srlawren as the same phone, maybe he can help you find the setting.

bryanbreguet
@Ionut it's okay, sorry for the other comment. No worry.

bryanbreguet

Where exactly do I check this? I can't find it.

LTE discovery is telling me it's band 4, which wiki indeed lists as being used for LTE and LTE advanced.

But it only goes to 4G+ when I download something, otherwise it's LTE. It's similar to how it was working with 3G and HSPA.

ckl

Hmm... maybe it's just the icon? If you go into settings About Phone and check Network Type does it say LTE:13 like mine?

bryanbreguet

I actually get 4G+ at Langara as well (very good network). I did the test and got very good results, but it seems no better than regular LTE.

You can see the "4G+" icon.

speedtest 4G+.png

ckl

@Ionut Don't worry! I've barely used any data this month!

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@bryanbreguet regarding of the previous post. I didn't wanna ofend or do something like that. Simple, i've tried to help and i thought that you don't know the difference between 4G and LTE. 

And also i don't know your skills in computers/smartphone etc. 

I have 1 BSc. Ce and 1 BSc, ENG + a Master Degree in Network Engineering. If i will just say something about each post where people talk non-sense and false information they will just kill me. 

I was trying to help. 

Anyway I'm Sorry.

Ionut

@ckl Try to save your data :P. Usually speedtest consum between 60-100 Mb/s per test 🙂 anyway, nice speed 

ckl

@bryanbreguet

"I don't get it at home, I was at a friend (it was around Broadway and Fraser if people want to know). I should have done the speedtest but I totally forgot. It was really fast though, like really, really fast."

No problem. I just did a speedtest and thought this was fast. Now imagine LTE Advanced... I can't even begin to guess how fast that would be.

Screenshot_2016-09-27-14-19-17.png

srlawren

@bryanbreguet no worries, just wanted to make sure, as I certainly didn't think my reply would have prompted that.  🙂

bryanbreguet

Of course not! My apologies! It was intended to the guy who decided to give us a small lecture about 4G and LTE without once mentioning 4G+ (or LTE advance).

I should have been clearer. Again, sorry for the confusion.

srlawren

@bryanbreguet was that directed at me?  

bryanbreguet

Thanks for the condescending reply. Too bad nothing you said was new to me or relevant to my original post.

Now go impress your friends.

srlawren

@bryanbreguet great choice in phones, been loving mine for just over 3 months now!  🙂  Interesting, I don't recall ever noticing 4G+ in my status bar (I'm in the Vancouver area too), but will try to watch more closely!

Ionut

@bryanbreguet 

Now, let's get into what 4G and LTE actually mean. We see these two all over advertisements from cellular providers. Many of us consider them two separate technologies, but in reality, LTE is actually a 4G technology in itself. Surprise! There is 4G and then there is 4G LTE.

4G stands for "Fourth Generation" which is the next step up from the previous 3G networks. It is much faster and with a greater capacity.

4G LTE stands for "Fourth Generation, Long Term Evolution" which is the purest form of the 4G technology. 4G LTE increases the network capacity and speed using different radios and other improvements. A redesign and simplification of the network architecture dramatically helped as well.

So, when searching for your favorite connected products, be aware that 4G and LTE are a part of the same family, but LTE is essentially the faster, more efficient, more powerful version.

Great! Now that you are up-to-date on this terminology, you can better understand exactly what happens when your devices connect to the internet and WiFi. Go impress your family and friends, because you know they're probably confused as well!

bryanbreguet

I don't get it at home, I was at a friend (it was around Broadway and Fraser if people want to know). I should have done the speedtest but I totally forgot. It was really fast though, like really, really fast.

ckl

LTE Advanced eh? Hmm... would you mind downloading a speedtest app to see how fast this LTE Advanced is? Beware that this test can take up to 40+MB of data, so if you have limited data, no big deal, I'm just curious.

daredogg
Mayor / Maire

That'd be cool to see 4G+ on your screen!   I know when I see 3G switch to LTE on mine I get excited!

Rockdaddy22
That's great news 🙂

bryanbreguet

That's what I thought. I also thought only post-paid Telus customers had access to it. So it's nice to see we also get access to it.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

4G+ is actually LTE advanced 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.