cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G/5G data service extremely slow

KyleZee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently switched from my old 3g plan that was giving me around 30mbps, now that im on 5g plan even at 4g speeds its 2.52mbps. ive tried configuring the network which didnt help, I also have full signal bars. Thank you for any assistance.

17 REPLIES 17

EB0
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am 

You are right, what is the difference between isp.mb.com and sp.md.com? Are both the same server?

@EB0 wrote:

@KyleZee 

sometimes changing APN settings may fix the speed issue, try setting your APN to isp.mb.com and  sp.mb.com to see if there is a speed difference

This is an incorrect statement.  There are no instances that switching APNs affect data speed.  

EB0

@KyleZee 

sometimes changing APN settings may fix the speed issue, try setting your APN to isp.mb.com and  sp.mb.com to see if there is a speed difference

@EB0 wrote:

@KyleZee 

A friend of mine had a speed issue, his SIM card from 2017-2018, he was not able to get a higher speed on 5G, so he replaced the SIM card, problem solved.

it doesn’t make sense, SIM card should work on all speeds.

My SIM card is 2016 vintage, well that is when it was activated.  The actual date could be much older.  In any event, I don't appear to have any issues with slow data which is more or less an artifact of real time network conditions.  

@HALIMACS wrote:

Does APN settings have any affect on reliability/consistency of data @computergeek541 ?

APN stands for access point name and that pretty much says it all in terms of what the settings do.  If the settings are incorrect, then data related functions won't work.  

KyleZee

Will do, Thank you!

Well, that’s pretty good feedback to give the customer support agents @KyleZee 

Let them know, and request that they re-provision your account and if that does not help things, perhaps they can send you a new, complementary SIM card to try, as you should not have to pay for it.

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here or, 
  2. Send a private message to the Customer Support Agent by clicking here  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

KyleZee

yeah this sims from 2021, just odd switching to 3g gives the best speed at worse cell service, full bar service for 4g is awesome for phoning, but very poor data speed

EB0

@KyleZee 

A friend of mine had a speed issue, his SIM card from 2017-2018, he was not able to get a higher speed on 5G, so he replaced the SIM card, problem solved.

it doesn’t make sense, SIM card should work on all speeds.

KyleZee

its been in 3 different phones with the same results, and my neighbors are with bell and telus and there speeds are 250mbps+

If using a physical SIM, can you try using the SIM card in a different device to see what kinds of speeds you get?

Do others in same area (on Bell or TELUS) also get similar speeds to what you’re getting?

KyleZee

if I set the data to 3g only I have good speed, but anything above 3g its 2-3mbps

@HALIMACS wrote:

Does APN settings have any affect on reliability/consistency of data @computergeek541 ?

I know that that there is a priority setting that can be used in the APN type field, but the way I see it, the data works or it doesn't.

@HALIMACS wrote:

@KyleZee 

have you tried resetting your APN?

Also try rebooting your device and resetting network connections to see if that helps.

Is your mobile network set to auto?

Changes in the APN settings wouldn't change the speed of the data.

@KyleZee wrote:

I recently switched from my old 3g plan that was giving me around 30mbps, now that im on 5g plan even at 4g speeds its 2.52mbps. ive tried configuring the network which didnt help, I also have full signal bars. Thank you for any assistance.

All plans give access to the same networks.  The only difference is the 5g plans having maximum speed set higher, so I don't see the plan change causing this reduction in speed.  This could be a temporary network issue.  Have you tried the service in different locations?

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@KyleZee 

have you tried resetting your APN?

Also try rebooting your device and resetting network connections to see if that helps.

Is your mobile network set to auto?

Need Help? Let's chat.