cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$40/4GB Plan - getting $10/month price INCREASE!

alohaya
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just got this text message from Public Mobile. They are raising my plan price by $10/month, trying to get me to switch to Koodo. Anyone else got this text? 

Public Mobile here. Starting March 20th, 2018 your rate plan price will increase by $10 per 30 days, making your plan $150 for 90 days. But don't worry! Our sister brand, Koodo, has a way for you to keep your $40 price point. Until March 15th, 2018, join Koodo and get 4GB of data, unlimited text and now additionally get UNLIMITED CANADA-WIDE minutes for $40/month PLUS get a one-time $100 bill credit! Offer valid for xxxxxxxxxxx. Redeem at your nearest Koodo location or London Drugs or online at https://koo.do/gocustomer-service. Show this msg and use promo code GOKOODO404GB to redeem along with 2 pieces of ID. Your phone number is your validation code. You're included on the list for Public Mobile offers and deals. To be excluded, reply unsubscribe. Conditions apply.

1,433 REPLIES 1,433

Moderators are censoring posts / topics now

Not surprised but really not cool

feejai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Teedowrote:

Send Complaint everyone... load up the system.

Submit a complaint to CCTS (https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/) and hope for better compensation.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

That is really the kick in the pants, "...  No surprises", I also am not happy with the timing considering two of my 3 accounts just renewed for 90 days.  Like many others, just want to respond how disappointing this is, if you want to kill the brand that is one story otherwise how much is it really costing you to allow people to keep this plan.  Well I know it will cost you future business that is for sure, no more referals from me.  Unfortunately not enough competition in Canada, we will all have to deal with the big 3 doing what they want.

Fulgore

Except even if another carrier offered something similar, they will likely screw us over with a bait and switch in the same way PM is doing with this plan later on

daviding

No one knows when kodoo kill us again like PM.

Sergey

@coltonbaumanwrote:

Where are people getting the terms of service info stating the price won't change? 

Where is the therms that they can increase on 35% Why not on 350000000% ?

dr-et
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

pne can trust the communo

ity its the suits that you cant

the telcos have been given the freedom {ironic} to do what they want

change terms and conditions prices plans almost at will.

there is no consumer protection in this country.

Sad but true.

Ionut
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I guess Public Mobile  it's going to get a lot of complain on CCTS 

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Guys, channel your anger into a complaint

http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

Telus must be held accountable for this. This is only possible if you contact the CCTS and file a complaint!

NuXPeR
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hey everyone, don’t jump ship to Koodo right away. I bet another carrier, like Fido, will take notice of what’s going on here and match the Koodo offer if we port to them. This is a great time for another carrier to steal customers from Telus as they know we are all pissed off right now. With referrals and autopay I was basically paying $33 a month. Switching to Koodo is NOT keeping the same plan!

methyl

"In Telus’ most recent earnings call, CEO and president Darren Entwistle said a strong focus for the company is “moving people up the value chain” through prepaid to postpaid migration."

@convolutionxwrote:

What happens if I already prepaid $120, and it lasts me until April?

Surely they can't just add on another $10 for the month of April on my last month of the 3?

I strongly suspect any of these increase will apply to any plan renewals after the mentioned price hike date.

Public Mobile would have to provide the service that you've already paid for for those 90 days.  If they're not going to do that, they would have to provide you a partial refund (regardless of whether or not they have a no refunds policy).

@dennchipp it is irrelevant since that discussion is not part of your agreement

They could have written anything they wanted to

So long as they warn you in advance (done) it is now up to you if you agree to take the increase or no

Maniacal

"How much you are saving"

We're not saving anything, compared to most other countries this promo is still very high cost. Every other "deal" out there is just even more of a rip off.

Sure we could switch to kodoo to keep our current deal, but for how long until they just **bleep** us over blindsided too? 

I also recently renewed. If I were to switch to kodoo to keep my plan do I get refunded? Is the kodoo switch still available at the end of my renewal period if I don't renew or am I just **bleep**ed then?

There wasn't even a reason given for the price increase. So much for creating customer loyalty. 

lulungyan

@jeffster1970wrote:

@lulungyanwrote:

Here's a spreadsheet I made for comparison of plans: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uWUXri6XRm5M19-zJcsXR8Vy6iJidg8CY-9HSdfFlnw/edit?usp=sharing.

Hope it helps.

Issue is that very few people roam, or would need to.  So it makes the comparision invalid, for the most part.  $40 doesn't equal $58 for the vast majority. 

Curious how it is that PM was $13 cheaper?  Is this roaming in the USA?

You can change the amount you roam so that's up to you to decide. As said in the conclusion, yeah it depends on your roaming habits.

MK78

Well, this will be the end of my affiliation with Public Mobile. I have just renewed a couple weeks ago, so I'm good until May, but I will wait until a few days before March 15 to switch to the Koodo deal, so I maximize what I have paid into this 90 day period, and get their $100 credit. Then I will be month-to-month, I will use up the $100 credit, then look to bail out of the Telus/Koodo/PM world.

This is an insane price increase. I have enjoyed PM while it lasted, but this is unacceptable price raise for the extremely basic level of customer service that's provided by PM. The whole idea to make it cheap was to not have a call centre, and everything be done via the self serve account and the forum.

Slap in the face of everyone that supported PM and their shortcomings, and lived thru the activation hassles during the promo period.

Maybe its time to try Freedom again, now that they have usable LTE.

convolutionx

What happens if I already prepaid $120, and it lasts me until April?

Surely they can't just add on another $10 for the month of April on my last month of the 3?

sanchom

This is what they promised when we signed up (https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/UPDATE-Last-day-to-get-our-limited-time...😞

> If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

dennchipp

I mean, I'll probably just switch to Koodo and cut my losses at $6 a month (minus that $100 credit) because it's still a good deal and good coverage BUT I don't think legal reviewed that message from Public Mobile. A random 25% price increase a year and a half after offering the deal would categorically be classified as a surprise.  They haven't really done anything that extreme, but they lied.  And they put the lie in writing. 

lulungyan

@kav2001cwrote:

@lulungyan one major issue with your assumptions; most of us (you included) will lose lots of referals now

You are better to only count loyalty and prepay discounts

You can change that parameter so I'm not assuming. I'm leaving it up to users to input their situation.

Teedo

Send Complaint everyone... load up the system.

Submit a complaint to CCTS (https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/) and hope for better compensation.

Hey Community,

Yes, you read the subject line correctly! From October 25th to November 20th, we will be offering an amazing promotion where you can get 12GB of data, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text on a 90 day plan for only $120. This equates to 4GB each month for the low, low price of $40 every 30 days. If there was ever a time to get friends and family to join Public Mobile, now would be it!

Check out the full details below to see how you and your friends and family can sign up for this awesome plan!

Things you need to know

• This is the only promotional plan during this period. No other plans are affected
  • During the promo period, there will be two plans totaling $120: (1) the 6GB unlimited province-wide talk and global text plan and (2) the promotional plan, which has 12GB of data. Please be sure to choose the plan with twice as much data for the exact same price!
  • If you have signed up for the promotional plan, you will be able to keep it after the promo period, as long as you are an active customer. This means that, as long as you are an active customer on this plan, your plan price will remain at $120, even after your initial 90 days. No surprises. 

Getting the plan

@convolutionxwrote:

Barely able to control my urge to use capslock. They can't do this to me.

Unfortunately, they can.  Public Mobile can charge whatever they wish for service.  It's up to each customer to decide which price plan (or carrier) means his or her needs.

coltonbauman

Where are people getting the terms of service info stating the price won't change? 

williamhaze

My renewal date is Feb 17.  I turned off AutoPay just in case.  How long before I have to pay to keep my service with PM?

Thanks!

darjman

What bull**bleep**.

I referred so many of my friends because it was a great company, with 'no surprises.' It even stated we keep our price plan as long as the account is active.

It's bull**bleep** and while it may be allowable on their TOS, by stating that our price plan remains the same is about to get them into **bleep**. I'll talk to my law prof. 

I'm not going to koodo. I'm going to freedom even if I pay more. **bleep** this company.

convolutionx

Barely able to control my urge to use capslock. They can't do this to me. I worked so hard to recruit friends and get my $32 a month pricing. Now definitely all my friends will jump the boat as well, leaving me at $50 a month.

Do I really have to leave them and go to Koodo, like the text suggests? If I go to Koodo, they'll let me keep the $40 for 4 gb plan, but I won't get the prepaid bonus of -$2, nor will I get the stay with them annually and get -$1 per month each year, nor will I get the -$1 per referral per month bonus.

THIS IS INSANE HOW CAN THEY JUST DROP THIS ON US?

Is telus trying to get rid of PM, funneling their base into KOODO?

SkyShaymin

I just got the same thing, I am wondering if I should contact the ccts. If I transfer I feel I will lose my loyalty and referal rewards.

Watoko
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@smp99wrote:

So far, poeple I know on the 12GB 3G plan for $135 have not received anything, and I wouldn't think they would. 

So that is still an option

Downgrading to 3G on any plan is just humiliating, no matter how much data you get. PM is really not the forward thinking carrier we all hoped for, more like exponentially backwards. As they say "LESS for LESS"!

lulungyan

@ute1978wrote:

@lulungyanwrote:

Here's a spreadsheet I made for comparison of plans: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uWUXri6XRm5M19-zJcsXR8Vy6iJidg8CY-9HSdfFlnw/edit?usp=sharing.

Hope it helps.

You should protect it or let us just view it, not edit it. I see at least 50 people medling there.

I dared to trust PM community. lol

PBForMe

Another thing, how in holy hell can you only give one month notice to a 25 percent increase when this plan is every 3 months. This is not enough time. Absolutely unacceptable. 

sbreakin

Just got my text.  Mine goes up effective March 20th, 2018.   Glad my renewal is before that (March 2) so I have a chance to decide & compare.  Hopefully, the feedback on this crazy 25%+ increase & CRTC complaints will make them at least think about reconsidering.  Unfortunately, my wife's plan just renewal mere days ago so that $100 even with $50 referral may not cover if we decide to switch.

Got a few weeks to look at any further changes & options.

Anyone with referral credits will likely take a hit as they leave unless can coordinate to get the $50 at Koodo.

Need Help? Let's chat.