cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$10 Sign Up Referall Code Question

goatowlpig
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was referred by someone on Reddit, when I signed up I somehow missed the input box on the referral code. So I contacted a moderator and gave the referral code the following morning after I signed up, explaining what happened. They stated they would input it within 72 hours.

3 days passed and the $10 discount was not applied. I then sent a message reminding moderators that the discount was still not applied. They told me they want the full name and phone number associated with the referral code.

Did I miss something when I signed up? I don't recall reading that I need that. Someone on Reddit is not going to give me those details to provide to a moderator. Quite the gimmick

9 REPLIES 9

@carlaspapa wrote:

Isn't the whole point of referring people to drum up business? So why would Public Mobile care if your personally friends with someone that you refer that would be kind of limiting wouldn't it?

Public Mobile wouldn't have any feasible way to enforce that for referrals even if matters to them that only people with an existing relationship are referred by the current customer.

carlaspapa
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Isn't the whole point of referring people to drum up business? So why would Public Mobile care if your personally friends with someone that you refer that would be kind of limiting wouldn't it?

@goatowlpig 

The whole point of switching from phone numbers to referral codes was to protect the privacy of the referrer so why would the moderator need these details? Even if you know the name of your friend it doesnt mean thats the name on the account? What is the moderator going to say when you tell them Dolly Parton referred you? I have been asked for the last four digits to confirm the referral code is correct which is a reasonable and  saved one of my referrals when my friend made an error. I have also lost a referral when the wrong code was imputted....somebody else got a mystery referral though!

If the moderator insists on this info just tell them your friend values their privacy thanks anyways and ask for a review link. Then go back to simon and open a new support ticket and start over with a new moderator thats hopefully been on the job for more than a week.

Edit: @TheGx  Nicely said.

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@goatowlpig :Hopefully they enter the referral rewards for you and your friend, the definition of what constitutes a friend should not matter at all since defining what a friend is could mean anything to anybody - anyone who gives out their referral code to any stranger asking for it would automatically be a friend just for helping everyone save money.

All that should be needed to get those rewards is the referral code just as exactly is that is all that is needed at the activation portal forms - the activation portal don't ask names or any other information except the referral code, so nothing else should ever be needed ever.

Although not claiming any referral code at the exact time of activation technically means that no code was activated at all, letting customers claim referral codes the day after or even later is a courtesy that Public Mobile should grant when requested - being reasonable with customers promotes goodwill and is obviously good for business.

So hopefully in the future Moderators simply either grant the courtesy of allowing customer requests, or simply just say no it's too late I don't feel like being nice and reasonable to customers - but don't start asking customers to justify to you why you deserve the reward by asking for things that aren't asked for before, like did you get your referral code from a real friend and can we verify their names?

@goatowlpig wrote:

If I talk to someone daily online is that a friend or not? Is only talking to someone face to face a friend? Must I know someone's full name for them to be a friend? What about favorite color? Maybe how they take their coffee?

That's all very much up to interpretation.  However, I don't think any of argue against the validity of referring someone who you work with. Does that mean that you know that person's personal phone number?  of course not

goatowlpig
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I talk to someone daily online is that a friend or not? Is only talking to someone face to face a friend? Must I know someone's full name for them to be a friend? What about favorite color? Maybe how they take their coffee?

They should state somewhere that those details will be required. The $10 discount was basically a free sim card which was the difference between me signing up for Public and Shaw's new mobile service. Would recommend they provide clarity on the requirements for such things.

@will13am wrote:

"By rule" refer a friend means exactly that, someone you know.  I guess the moderator is checking that your referral meets the test.  

Perhaps, but then what's the purpose of the code? I do believe that it matters not to Public Mobile as long as the new customers signs up.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

"By rule" refer a friend means exactly that, someone you know.  I guess the moderator is checking that your referral meets the test.  

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@goatowlpig Technically they are not supposed to give you the $10 as per referral rewards terms. They might be doing it for a good gesture so they just want to you to verify all the details. There is a possibility someone totally didn't know about referral rewards, then asks for credit after activating. I would suggest you to let the mods know what exactly happened and why you can't provide them referral details. They might still give you the $10 credit, but no guarantee. 

Need Help? Let's chat.