cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Why not LTE

Thanks. 

@pmcell wrote:

@gblackma  The averge user browsing, searching, Google maps, messaging, and even watching videos on their phone will not notice much of a difference. The resolution of videos may change from 1080p to 720p or 480p, but that still is not a noticable difference on a small cell phone screen. You might actually end using less data in this scenario without a significant difference in experience

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you have a text and call only plan, then add-on data you buy will default to 4GLTE.  All other plans are 3G, and add-on data will default to 3G.

Mayor / Maire

PM has LTE but is is throttled to 3G.  For most internet use there is not much of a difference.  If plan on streaming 4K video or high quality music streams then there maybe a difference.  It is cost savings measure for lower plan costs.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you, That makes sence. I am not complaining, jut wondering.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

PM fits a niche in parent company TELUS' offerings. To open up 4G LTE at bargain basement prices would canibalize the rest of the company's offerings. They would be very popular for 24 hours until the other guys had to match them then business would continue with less and less money available to expand and improve the network.

AE_Collector

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's probably what keeps PM so low and still work underground on trains and warehouses such as Costco. 

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My plan says it's up to 3G speeds. But I always seem to be on LTE. I've had no issues with the speed. 

Mayor / Maire

@Dlysh113 wrote:

It's probably what keeps PM so low and still work underground on trains and warehouses such as Costco. 

@Dlysh113 uhm, no.  Public Mobile still uses the LTE network, but throttled to "3G-like" speeds of 3Mbps. Throttling the speed has no effect on whether or not the service works undergroun on trains and warehouses such as Costco.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Aljackson75  It's essentially LTE at 3G speeds and the throttling may not be perfect, which results in faster speeds. The response time between sending a request and fulfilling it (latency) is usually more important for most apps and browsing

@Aljackson75 wrote:

My plan says it's up to 3G speeds. But I always seem to be on LTE. I've had no issues with the speed. 

Unless there is no LTE signal (or weak LTE signal), your phone will likely stay on LTE most of the time until you're making or receiving a phone call.