cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My porting experience ~ tl;dr It was pretty awesome

drsyxu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Here's my review of the porting experience.
I had actually never heard of PM until about a week ago. I had just taken out a plan with Wind and quickly realized their service was not going to meet my needs.
After learning about PM and reading some reviews I decided to jump onboard.

Account setup and porting:

This was a breeze. The hardest part was waiting for my SIM card to arrive. That would probably be my only hang-up. I wish there was a way to pick up a new SIM card locally. That said I am the one who chose not to cough up the $20 for next day shipping. When my card arrived I got everything ready and headed to the activation page on the site. From start to finish it took me 15-20 mins. And that included the first unsuccessful attempt I made to start the porting procedure. For whatever reason it didn't work. I waited about 10 mins before trying again and had success on my second attempt. After swapping my wind card for my new, shiny PM one I had voice service almost immediately. I had read in this community that you manually needed to change your APN settings on iPhone so I was already prepared and had that changed quickly. Almost immediately I started getting 611 messages regarding texts outside Canada. I found it annoying but assumed it was part of the porting process. I've now learned it is related to iMessage and FaceTime and usually resolves itself in a few days. I was finally able to get LTE working after toggling the setting on my phone a few times. It took less than 10 minutes of fiddling around before LTE kicked in. Moments after getting LTE I received another 611 message informing me that my account has been successfully activated.
So about 25 mins of my time and I'm completely setup. My wind account was automatically closed which was a nice surprise. I was worried there might be issues closing it.

I'm 3 days into PM and have absolutely zero regrets. I'm so glad I discovered PM. 😊
8 REPLIES 8

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get things setup when it works. First time, it didn't work for me (it was my fault), second time, it worked like a charm. The only weak link in the entire setup process is the fact that Canada Post is involved.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@drsyxu wrote:
I can live with the occasional random 611 message. The only 2 things I really care about are quality then price. I was a Telus customer for almost 10 years and never once had a problem with the service.
PM meets both those needs and I'm enjoying the community feel with this company.

@drsyxu Exactly!  I was a Telus customer for about 12 years and am very happy with PM thus far! 🙂  Welcome!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Kalla_A
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @drsyxu,

Welcome to Public Mobile!

It's very great to hear about your positivie experience, and very awesome of you to share it with our members.

All the best for the future 🙂

Kalla

motozark
Welcome to public mobile as well. I haven't been here very long but the feedback is awesome with quick responses.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks for taking time to write a positive review. 

Welcome to Public Mobile. 

I second that

drsyxu
I can live with the occasional random 611 message. The only 2 things I really care about are quality then price. I was a Telus customer for almost 10 years and never once had a problem with the service.
PM meets both those needs and I'm enjoying the community feel with this company.

Martin
Legend
Legend

Hi @drsyxu,

First, welcome to Public Mobile!

I was happy to read your very positive post. It's always enjoyable to read about success. Further, it helps to dispel the myth that Public Mobile and glitches are synonymous with one another, rather than just infrequent occurrences compared to successful sign-ups.

Cheers.

Need Help? Let's chat.