cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calls

Klabrie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello all, 

Over the last couple of weeks I have been receiving have a dozen calls daily from international numbers. It rings once then nothing, upon researching this I found something called the "one ring scam".  The numbers are always different and before I go ahead by changing my number is there any way I can block all international  calls from coming in? 

8 REPLIES 8

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Answering calls like this is an indication that the number is live.  Once it's answered, it goes onto a live list which is passed on to the actual scammers. So, you may notice a burst of calls which are just verifying that your number is answered by a person.  This is usually followed by a number of real scam calls.  There is no point in blocking these numbers because Caller ID can be easily changed and often is changed on a call by call basis.  

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Chances are they will leave you alone if you don't pick up. Eventually they move on just don't answer

Changing your phone doesn't guaranty you won't get it, it may get hit two months from now

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Klabrie wrote:

Hello all, 

Over the last couple of weeks I have been receiving have a dozen calls daily from international numbers. It rings once then nothing, upon researching this I found something called the "one ring scam".  The numbers are always different and before I go ahead by changing my number is there any way I can block all international  calls from coming in? 

@Klabrie  If you are using an Android phone there is an App from the Play Store called Call Blocker by Fiorenza Fransesco that works well. Contains no adds is free and will allow you to block International incoming calls and many more options.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cuiet.blockCalls

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@Klabrie You can block each number individually, or change your number, or add your number to do-not-call list.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Given what is going on around the world, the scammers are opportunistic.  Expect a wave of various scams, be it phone calls, phishing emails, etc.  I have been contacted by the "CRA" by phone several times this week already.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Klabrie wrote:

Hello all, 

About a year ago, I was getting those calls daily. It took about 3 or 4 weeks of ignoring them before they subsided. As soon as you answer the call, the scammers know it's an active number, so don't answer if you don't know who's calling....and never return the one-ring call.

Good luck.

Klabrie
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Okay, I figured thats what would have to happen. 

Thank you very much!! 🙋‍♂️

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Klabrie the only way that I know is to block each call individually. 

Need Help? Let's chat.