cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freedom wants me back

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I received an email this evening from Freedom Mobile, offering me their new LTE services, as they've now expanded the Band 66 into my area.  It's the $45 for $35, 10 month deal, with the ZTE Grand X phone for $0.

first of all, I can't believe they upgraded Brantford Ontario (the telephone city), before the golden triangle, or the Golden Horseshoe areas of south western Ontario. But hey, what do I know?

What gets me irked right off the bat is the 10 month promo.  Come the 11th month, price rises to $45, full speed data usage cap shrinks from 6 GB / month to 3 GB.

i left them because I didn't like paying $70 a month, a $35 increase in overages due to roaming (which may now be fixed), and I never liked the throttled data past the GB cap.

thankfully I'm with Public Mobile.  My Fall Promo package doesn't expire (yet... now that I see what legacy members are are dealing with), and due to rewards, my next cycle is $75.

im staying here!

12 REPLIES 12

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Balanceman it's only 10 months after that it goes to $45 and it goes to 3gb in 2018.

Balanceman
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Would the $35 include the 3gb bonus? That would be really affordable for 6gbs of potentially LTE data.

I think Freedom Mobile's network will likely improve in the future. Currently there is no doubt that Public Mobile network is superior as it uses the same resources as Telus (in partnership with Bell)

Shutdown

Now I got the email and it says my area will get LTE in spring not even now.

Oh this was definitely targeted to me, as the opening line essentially said we've upgraded your area to the LTE fast lane!  Also funny, it's offered 2 weeks before my next 90 day renewal.

There are people who doesnt check plans once a while after they switch over.    That's the purpose.  Of course not everyone would like the plan. 

@will13am wrote:

I read about this on howard forums.  Maybe it is targeted as I have not received any such offerings.  But if I did, it would likely be sent to the spam folder if it is not already there.  This thing with giving 10 month discounts seems to be Wind/Freedom's new shtick

This was previously a standard offer for anyone who wanted to sign up with Freedom Mobile.  I now there's only so much that Freedom can offer promotional-wise, and still make it worth it for them, but as past customer what could possibly bug me is the fact that they made this exact offer to everyone back in February, but now that it's expired, they're sending e-mails to former customers offering the same thing.  It's almost as if Freedom thinks that old customers are going to now think the offer is better than before, just because it's no longer offered en-masse on the website. 

At least where I am, Freedom already had LTE before, so if the offer didn't get me to come back before, why would the exact same offer get me to come back now?  To be fair, they never sent me that e-mail message, but still.

Freedom, now they maybe Mobile, BUT they still have much to learn

What can Freedom Mobile possibly offer a Public Mobile customer who is on the 90 day talk/text/12GB plan that would be worth considering to come back?

Don't get me wrong;  Freedom Mobile doesn't have very competive rate plans (with extensive long distance options) and excellent roaming options.  But that's not what Wind's problems has always been. Wind/Freedom's main problem has always been it's GARBAGE network. Perhaps, someday that fact will change, and hopefully, they will have a a good network.  As it now, the Freedom network is beyond pathetic, with many OUTDOOR coverage deadzone even in places such as the middle of Toronto, no signal as soon as you step inside many large buildings, unsuable data in downtown areas, and strange background noises during voice calls. 

I could care less about Freedom's long track record of poor customer service, or even if they eventually raise prices slightly. But what it comes down to, I wouldn't even consider ever going back to Freedom unless they finally fix the network (well, maybe I would if Public hypothetically sent me an e-mail saying that my price was going up by $20/month or if Freedom suddenly decided to cut all prices in half permanently). 

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If I were you, I would just stick with PM since you have the Fall promo and it's such a good deal. However, if you only have the normal plan then I totally understand the temperation. I'm pretty much ready to jump to any other carriers if they offer a good deal. 2 GB of data really isn't cutting it for me and the price of additional data top up is just outrageous.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I read about this on howard forums.  Maybe it is targeted as I have not received any such offerings.  But if I did, it would likely be sent to the spam folder if it is not already there.  This thing with giving 10 month discounts seems to be Wind/Freedom's new shtick

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

A half year ago, I was shopping around for a carrier with a good plan and I almost went with Wind/Freedom.  Then I heard from friends about their infamous reception problems and decided to keep looking, as I wasn't in a hurry.  Along came Public Mobile's awesome Fall Promo plan, and the rest was history.  Looking back, I realized what a bullet I dodged in avoiding Wind/Freedom, as I now have a super plan, with solid reception, and I'm actually paying less than I would have with Wind, because of the various PM rewards.  No regrets. Thank you PM!  Smiley Happy

Shutdown

That's interesting I didn't get an email from them yet. Though it could be cause they didn't expand LTE into my area yet maybe. It's also cheaper on PM for me since it's $38/month for 4gb vs $45/month for 3gb.

Need Help? Let's chat.