Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Hey Community,

We have an important announcement to share with our subscribers who are currently enrolled in our old Rewards program.

We’re making changes to our rewards program and are sharing how these changes impact some of our subscribers. Starting in May, we’ll be retiring our old Rewards program and moving all subscribers to our Public Points™ program. 

We launched the Public Points™ program in January 2022 to provide our subscribers with more ways to earn and spend rewards, with greater flexibility. As part of our commitment to continuously evolve our products and services, it's time to retire our old Rewards program and shift our focus on enhancing our Points program.

To show our appreciation for your continued loyalty, subscribers on our old Rewards program will receive a special thank you. We'll send you a text message when it has been added to your account by March 31st. 

We’re excited to continue providing you, our valued subscribers, more opportunities to earn and spend rewards with Public Points™ moving forward.

To learn more about your move to Public Points, check out our FAQ here.

The Public Mobile Team

5,124 REPLIES 5,124

Wolfcore
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

The FAQ says May, yeah. So the agent is probably wrong. Although, everybody was supposed to receive notice of this change by March 8th, and none of the 15 people in my referral circle have received any notice yet, so as usual, PM is just terrible with their communication and promises.

HI @edeepm 

i think everyone knows all rewads system can be gone and got changed.

my coffee rewards got changed many times, Starbucks, Tim, McDonald's.  My Aeroplan keeps changing.  My credit cards rewards come and gone.  My HSBC benefits got changed and reduced as RBC taking over.  People thinks rewards will be forward are just not facing the reality

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ShawnC13 

If Auto pay/renewal is on and phone function/service is operating appropriately ... who's checking the website. Who is checking in with there version of customer support. Who looking at the home page, yet alone the community tab.

Out of family of 4 with PM, one got message from PM of last set of promotional plans and one check on PM's website.

Text and email updates needs to be use more and come through more.

This specific update we where told we were to get email updates by March 8, 2024. I never got mine.

yes , it's May not March.  Everyone can save 2 more months on the legacy system.  

EdN
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

2 days late.  Wasn't it communicated the changes were to be finalized May 1?

Wolfcore

Be very careful if they offer you something, because this could be taken as compensation for the dispute. Meaning, you reached out with a complaint, they resolved the complaint, and now you have no recourse to complain to CCTS anymore. So if they offer you like $20, I'd personally just reject it.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

By posting this it is in by no means me agreeing or supporting this decision, but this will be the paragraph of the ToS that Publi will point to.  Basically saying they can change any portion of the agreement at anytime and if needed give 30 days (which they have done).  They will bring it to our attention in a reasonable manner ie, posting here, OR an email OR a text message.  Is posting here considered reasonable not sure but as this is the only place to get customer service it could be deemed that way even though many customers never come here.  Again in no way is this supporting the decision.

ShawnC13_0-1710099289941.png

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

danielj

danielj_0-1710099220143.png

Don't have them expire. Leave them plan changes/switches. Or let us upgrade and/or downgrade the addon to match existing plan(s).

Wolfcore

Making the promotional plans open to ALL customers should just be a given. That shouldn't be some sort of great reward for us existing customers. Not having those open is just disrespectful to your paying customers. The reality is, it's very quick and easy to port out, and port back in. Any of us can claim these "locked plans" by just doing this. PM is just forcing loyal customers to jump through this loophole if they want to get what they are offering brand new customers who haven't given them a cent yet. It's quite shameful.

EdN

Good news everyone!  My messages with CS Agent regarding CCTS complaint are now being replied to by escalation team.  I'm hoping they have more information, broader perspective and leeway than the the usual CS Agent.

Wolfcore

Trust me, if they were planning making the points program better (enhancing them), they would have included those details within this announcement, in order to quell all this outrage. They've already lost a ton of customers within just a few days, and it's only going to get worse. If some announcements do come, it'll only be because the reaction was worse than they expected.

danielj

Public Mobile communication is terrible over the loyalty program changes. Very bottom of the barrel that they did at least come out a head to "start" announcing the changes.

Email and/or text none existing for high percentage of the customers. And in batches is BS as it would creates bias intentionally or not. One of the last email/text set was the 50G roaming promotion. With that text reaching 1 out of 4 family members with Public Mobile.

@Dunkman

Incompatible plan definition is overall very unclear.

• "5G Speed up to 250mbps and unlimited data at reduced speed"
  • Unlimited data is "plan data"
  • "What constitutes an incompatible plan?
  • At Public Mobile, you have the option between fixed data plans and unlimited data plans. Switching from one type of data plan to the other will cause your special bonus data to be incompatible and removed from your account."
  • It is implied that Incompatible plans included unlimited data plans.
  • Especially since most people's history would be the removal of incompatible data add-ons
  • Further without most people getting the relevant text and/or email.
  • Most "unlimited data" plans base full speed data alone is a not usually a small amount. Most are what 50 to 100Gs. To go over the full speed amount enough in 150 days to use what ever actual amount of data that are giving. 

Overall it is inconvenient that "Incompatible," data add-ons, purchased or "gifted"/promotional are removed and not left rolling over if customers do ever switch accounts to plans that are compatible with that add-on. Or that the add-on can not be upgraded or down graded to match your existing plan with the balance hitting the customer balance account or charge card.

The whole data add on changes is a whole other topic that has how many changes that are getting on customer nerves. Changes to them being Incompatible and removed being one of them. Makes the promotional 5G plans with throttled unlimited internet, basically a sneaky way to remove customer data addon from not being able to be used/roll-over as previously discussed. Just gone, no more rollover, no actual usage and no upgrade or downgrade option. Just PM cleaning up there unearned revenue account. And basically any NEW data add on, including promotional/"gifted" data add-ons expire now and don't rollover any more.

I don't watch community or data add-ons that much but seems like those changes should of been a bigger deal.

Seems like Public Mobile is making every subtle and possibly even perceived as sneaky changes to assist with profitability.

3G technology was retired, even prematurely to make room for the 5G data technology to have room to installed. Overall was making existing 3G plans connections extremely week and slow, even to the point of possibly not even useable. With 3G connections weaking, with out Public Mobile at the time having the 5G data plans being offered waiting for the 5G technology roll out.

150 days is under 5 months And they are planning to added it towards the end of March and not May when the loyalty program is changing. So the 150 days would not include the fall when people might be waiting for in order for the new phone releases to upgrade to even fully utilize the 5G speeds with a compatible devices.

More of the new promotional plans open to existing customers ... data add-ons expires.

ily
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@danielj wrote:

They also mentioned "enhancing our Points program." Without any details on those enhancements. When ever I ever I looked into the current Point Program would not be as valuable as the Old loyalty program that is being retired.

I think they meant enhancing the Points program for them. The Points Program is more valuable to them. They just couldn't care less about their loyal customers.

HI @ily 

no surprise, come May , there is no such thing for legacy rewards.

for those who don't want to be on any rewards program, they can ask to opt out the points program.  Yes, some people will do that for religion reason or so.

Michael6666

1000002941.png

Also wanted to add that on my login, they still advertise 1$ off per month.. No asterix, no nothing. 

ily

@ily wrote:

Here are the steps I'm taking in response to this horrific announcement:

1. Contact customer service expressing my deep dissatisfaction and asking to opt out of this forced migration. This is basically my attempt to resolve the issue with the provider, as per CCTS guidelines.
  2. Mark March 18th on my calendar: if the issue isn't resolved by then, I will file a CCTS complaint.
  3. Mark May 1st on my calendar: if I'm forced to the new points system, I will immediately port out!

Update: CS Agent got back to me saying that there's no way to stay on the legacy rewards program; no surprises there. In other words, the provider wasn't able to resolve the issue. Moving on to step 2. I'll keep y'all posted.

Michael6666

PSA, plans are 30 days instead of monthly at public mobile.

So the 5% back in points is partially offset by a 1.44% loss yearly (5.25/365.25). 3.56% back in points is even less worthwhile than other providers.

ridgeline
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@hTideGnow wrote:

@ridgeline wrote:

@mikasik2 wrote:

I love how we will soon have to pay tax on the equivalent of our lost rewards

That's a very good point.  I logged in to my account to confirm and the GST was being calculated against the discounted price and not the full price of the plan.  Now we will be paying more in GST each month as well.

HI @ridgeline 

on the other hand, on the month you redeem for $15 bill credit, you will pay  less tax on that $15

Yes, however it will be several months later when you have enough points to redeem.  The additional GST must now be paid upfront each month.

public_999

Yep problems can happen with ANY service provider and that's why wifi calling is so important.  Freedom has had free wifi calling for years.  Did you not have a compatible phone?  In my house, I only get Public Mobile's signal in parts of my home.  With Freedom, I get it everywhere.  In one part of my basement however I  turn on wifi calling.

MajorTalent

GENIUS IDEA: They should have done something similar to the old Solo under Bell (for those of us who are old enough to have been a customer or knew someone who was)... refuse new PM customers to legacy rewards but also keep it going in a way where it works for both legacy customers and PM. This would mean introduce better plans/ prices OR premium options/ perks to switch to points OR a combination of both. Not to rehash the obvious about why we had rewards for our loyalty and help with their growth (also savings from lack of physical stores, live phone reps and the like being able to be passed down to us for the inconvenience)

Solo is still around for their legacy customers only, so they have surely figured it out. Why has Telus' Public Mobile been screwing these things up so much since taking over?

ninjastar

I had Freedom for 3 months before switching to PM. It started off well. Then they made some tower tweaks where I couldn't receive a call inside my own home. They couldn't fix it so I walked away. 

@edeepm wrote:

Are you happy with the new (worse) rewards?

@edeepm 

Definitely not happy with the forced migration to rewards.  I have four accounts (family members) with Public mobile, so I will paying about $200 per year more than right now. 

From a business perspective, I understand why Public mobile is implementing these changes.  Bottom line is to increase profits.  

As a customer, besides moving to another mobile company, there is really nothing that we can do.  I will wait until May and then decide if that makes the most financial sense.  Hopefully, in the meantime, Public mobile will offer other perks for legacy customers to stay. 

@edeepm I don't see how anyone (customer) can be happy about this change.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ninjastar

Try again1000009473.jpg

mikasik2

@ninjastar wrote:

How do I down vote this one? 🤣

Hit bravo sarcastically 

ninjastar

How do I down vote this one? 🤣

ninjastar

I never mentioned anything about current subscribers who grabbed the roaming plan a week ago losing roaming... I said new potential subscribers are under the impression that it's still there and justify they would get a better deal than anywhere else based on roaming that's not available anymore on the $34 package. 

fixin

@ninjastar wrote:

You're not understanding at all. 

Im not stupid. Thanks. They had the roaming promo at $34, word got out, they signed up new customers and  now they removed roaming on the same $34 package. People on Reddit are still under the assumption roaming is still included... 

Just people who chose the plan now don't get US roaming. If you got the $34 plan before March 5th you will get and keep US roaming. Now the new plan is Canada only. The change on renewal Canada US plan will stay.

MrToad
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Losing $84/year doesn't enhance anything and provides $0 value.

Why am I being moved to Public Points™?

To enhance our rewards offering and ensure we’re providing the best possible value to our subscribers

ninjastar

Take a look at PC Mobile. Same deals and you can collect PC points. They also have a customer service number. They also give you 20000 pc points ($20) after two months and you have the option to pay out of your bank account directly. 

Need Help? Let's chat.