cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Product Alert! ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Public Mobile has been made aware that ASUS ZenFone 3 Laser phones may not be able to make 911 calls. Your safety may be at risk. Please contact ASUS directly at EN: 1-888-678-3688 or FR: 1-888-616-2787 for more information. Please do not dial 911 except to report an actual emergency.

20 REPLIES 20

No it is an Android issue as multiple handsets have this issue now @texwood

Asus ZenFone 3 (all variants)
OnePlus 5
Samsung Galaxy S5
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Sony Xperia Z3

BestBuy also has a mass recall on Asus phones at this point so what Telus/Public said is pretty much confirmed

texwood
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

From Mobilesyrup's article:

Update 13/07/2017: Asus says it has discovered the source of the 911 bug. According to the company, the issue only occurs on ZenFone 3 Laser and ZenFone Deluxe 5.5 units running an older version of Android 7.0. The company advises users update their phone to 7.1.1 as soon as possible.

As a precaution, the company is asking all ZenFone 3 Laser and ZenFone Deluxe 5.5 owners to navigate to the ‘About’ section of their phone’s Settings menu to check if their phone is on 7.1.1. If it isn’t, navigate to “System update” and “Check Update” to manually install 7.1.1.

I also saw a couple of comments on Reddit:

• "I went to go buy a Zenfone 3 Zoom from Canada Computer's and they told me they can't sell them to anyone right now."
  • "I work a at major retailer in Canada that sells sell phones and there's a quarantine on all Asus phones right now. It mentions something to do with the last update messing stuff up, I can see why it's quarantined now..."

pm1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thanks for the notice~

patwoo

I have a Zenfone 3 zoom running Android 6 and haven't receive an alert from Public Mobile.

It would be nice if Public Mobile can confirm what model/Android version is being affected.

LeeRat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a Rogers phone and was notified a couple days ago. AND my phone wants to do an update! I still don't know, nor have I decided what to do.  I did google the phone number...it is AsusTek's english 24h7d service line.

How do you test if its working or not without actually dialing 911?

sbreakin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for the link.

In the comment someone also mentions Chatr has sent out a similar message too.

Sounds like it might be related to the update to 7.1 but seems to be speculation.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Seems like a software issue coinciding with recent OTA 7.1 update.  Telus is sending out SMS to customers.  I would imagine that the issue is probably with being able to dial 911 from the lock screen or even with no SIM installed.  I am sure the dialer will process a 911 call just like any other dialed call.  Likely sensationalism more than anything else.

http://www.theandroidsoul.com/psa-asus-zenfone-3-laser-is-currently-having-issues-calling-911-in-can...

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

It is weird that until now only Telus and co are the only one that aknowledge such an issue, by this time you would expect that more people will either test (Schedule a test call with the non emergency number first)  or report it .

johnb56789

Had this phone up until yesterday, now have a S6 Edge, so don't have to worry about this issue anymore

Darby

Thanks for the information. I don't have an Asus phone (yet), but I am probably going to be buying a new phone within the next month, and the Zenfone 3 Lazer was on my list of possibilities. I'll be keeping an eye on this issue!

raza416

Appreciate the information, hopefully everyone with this phone can get this solved as soon as possible!

kentnleung
Thanks for the notice.

Maybe pm should ask the source to verify the claim?

jt17g

Thanks for the noticeHeart

patman

I asked to speak with someone else who was aware of the issue and got put on a long hold and hung up on...

RyanF

Just called  their number, the support people have no clue what is going on, just got the text 20 mins ago.

So ASUS is just being made aware of this emerging issue.

Aside from this post and the text from Telus I got a few mins ago I cannot find a single other source that says these phones have any problems, and I haven't dialed 911 to test.

What is the source for the claim? Is it a problem in baseband firmware hardware or software?

patman

I called ASUS and they seem to have no idea about this issue...anyone have any success?

Thanks for heads up
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

nishufan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Thanks for sharing.Man Very Happy

Need Help? Let's chat.