Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KNOWN ISSUE] Longer than normal wait times for self serve

Tiana_V
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

Update as of Dec. 4 2:02PM ET:

Earlier today we launched our More is Merrier campaign, which included wide spread communications to our customers as well as taking over the YouTube home page. This resulted in much higher than normal traffic on our website and self serve portals. Due to high traffic to our self serve portal, you may experience longer than normal wait times for the portal to load (and see a blank screen in the mean time). Please refresh the page or come back to the self serve portal at a later time or date.

If you are trying to add one of our More is Merrier free add-ons (1GB of data or 400 international minutes) please know that these will be available until December 25th 2019, so you have plenty of time to take advantage of this give away. We are anticipating lower traffic levels later this week (likely even Thursday Dec 5th), so you should see full speed access to self serve then. 

Thank you for your patience. 

- The Public Mobile Team

50 REPLIES 50

markpegus
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It's been intermittent for me.  However understandable with the infulx in responses for the free giveaways....so worth the inconvience.  Thanks for the 1GB freebie, I'm usually over my limit close to the end of the month 🙂

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I know the forums are outsourced but seems like infrastructure is an issue across the board with PM when things get busy. 

@jor123It is more of a function of Khoros / Lithium being overwhelmed seperately rather than other Public Mobile infrastructures their billing system or SIM ordering.

jor123

Ironically I'm now seeing occasional connection reset errors in the community forums... is this happening to anyone else? 

Sirius
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

yeah , when you'll go for a leak at 4 am, don't forget to redeem the freebie

@Sirius wrote:

this is what's happening when we are hosting a website on an Intel Celeron dual-core laptop with a DSL 10meg/sec connection ... and then telling everyone to come in and log in at the same time.   Smiley LOL

LOL!!!! Smiley LOL

As for folks tryin' to get the freebies, I too tried it earlier, and got the blank page, so my wife & I went shopping, and after coming home, I JUST got the add-ons done a few minutes ago.... be patient, and/or do as already mentioned, i.e. if you can, log in late at night and get the deed done.

Sirius
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

this is what's happening when we are hosting a website on an Intel Celeron dual-core laptop with a DSL 10meg/sec connection ... and then telling everyone to come in and log in at the same time.   Smiley LOL

SomeFriend
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I managed to get the two addons on one of the accounts for my household, the other one was in the process....  but the site just crashed just now and I'm not sure if my purchase of $0 completed or not.

I'll find out once the site is live again.

Edit: just refreshed the page, the two addons are showing up on my account so it did complete properly before crashing.  Thanks PM!

PhilipJayyFry

@jor123 wrote:

Awful service today, PM. I've been without phone service all day, payment taken from my card and not applied to account, and just getting the runaround from my support ticket. 

I had the same thing happen to me, but my account was showing a credit for what it auto-billed. I just went ahead and clicked pay and typed in the amount I was seeing in credit and it debited that and started working right away.

Peter55

I redeem already just be patience

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Yesterday before I went to bed, I was thinking that PM server will get hit today with all subscribers hitting the buy add-on button.

I woke up 8:45 am this morning and quickly purchase the $0 add-ons for all my accounts.  The first one took about 2 minutes.  The remaining 5 accounts went smoothly within 10 seconds each.

PM self-server was slow already during normal time and it is not designed to handle some many commections concurrently.

SomeFriend

I imagine the self serve server is on fire right now, we're all overloading it to add the addons to our account.  Earlier, it was completely down, it'll just display a blank page because it wasn't able to handle all the traffic we're sending it. 

I'm just letting it slowly load in while I get other stuff done.  Is adding these addons also available via self serve over the phone (611)?

KamWest

Seriously though, in the age of amazon, google, microsoft, cloudflare etc. there are so many options for decent web hosting that would not be affected by more traffic.

I run a website that probably takes 3 times the traffic public mobile has and my site flies all the time. It uses amazon for the server and even if my traffic quadrupled there would be no decernable slowdown.

The speed I saw today... over 3 minutes to turn a page is totally unacceptable for ANY company much less a big player like Telus.

You know you can just put publicmobile as an addon domain under telus and run on the same server right?

With the speed of self service over the time I have been here I can only imagine the slow speed is done intentionally because no sane company would put up with that speed without switching to a faster service.

Just my personal opinion about it.

ycy

I've redeemed my Christmas promos.  Keep trying

memories of Fall Promo all over again

I would suggest that everyone try again late at night if you're still awake. The good new is how the promotional add-ons will be available until December 25th.

For anyone needing to make a manual payment, I would suggest either get a top up voucher from a store or, if it's more convenient, from recharge.com and apply the top up using *611.

jor123

@ycy wrote:

New promo for existing Public Mobile Account holders - Christmas 2019 presents

No longer an issue, keep trying.

Nope, still an issue:

This page isn’t working

selfserve.publicmobile.ca didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

ycy

New promo for existing Public Mobile Account holders - Christmas 2019 presents

No longer an issue, keep trying.

jor123

Not when you have no service at all. 

Purplepan
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

A small price to pay for freebies. Worth it!

jor123

Awful service today, PM. I've been without phone service all day, payment taken from my card and not applied to account, and just getting the runaround from my support ticket. 

Need Help? Let's chat.