Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

Ashley
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can someone smart please explain why anyone in their right mind would want to join Public Mobile now?

Cons (joining PM):

- Higher or equal pricing for LTE plans

- Higher or equal pricing for 3G plans

- Insulting very low speed for 3G plans

- No phone or phone subsidy 

- No real stores

- No instant customer service

- No real time chat capability for support

- Customers left helpless when there is a large load of request (for example during promos).

- Buggy online portal which is not able to handle user load during promo (it is a shame that this is a complete online service and yet there are so many repeated and known bugs that PM ignore to fix).  What a shame!!

Pros:

- None anymore (low pricing was the only pro before and honestly that is the whole reason why people used to put up with not having stores and just waiting to get help when really need, even with no service).  

Now with this insult slap on the face high pricing, there is no need to put up with this.

- May be another pro is just to have nice community members and mods.

jshmeek
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The issue is, it won't even be an illusion of choice.

What happens after this "limited time offer" on the 3G plans?

Either:

1. The 3G rate plans increase (or lose bonus data).

2. The 3G plans disappear and the LTE plans are left at their over inflated prices.

After either of these, Public will be hardpressed to find new subscribers. And now they jack up the SIM charge. Wow! They really want to get rid of themselves (blame Telus, of course, the pricing likely came from them).

Noosiekins

With so much backlash... What are the chances they would "undo" what they've just done.

On another note..I'm not sure HOW my brother did it or who he talked to at Fido but he's on a 40 something plan with 16gb of data a month...

GibsonSGJ

I agree Telus would not be intentionally sabotaging PM, but that doesn't mean the new pricing structure isn't going to hurt PM's ability to acquire new members.

The vast majority of people I've spoken to about PM, including people in other carrier stores, have not even heard of them. I'd wager that the majority of people who were drawn to PM are somewhat tech savvy, owning their own devices and being comfortable with the self-service model. Those same tech savvy people, on average, aren't going to sacrifice data speeds for the savings, and the pricing of the 4g LTE plans, for the data that you get, is worse than what the majority of budget carriers are offering in Atlantic Canada for BYOD plans. And they all have a retail presence with contact center customer service. Again, not a big deal for the tech savvy, but for the average consumer, self service is a no go

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Its no conspiracy theory, its business strategy. I believe Public Mobile is trying to re-brand as the low-cost option (similar to Chatr). However they kind of missed the mark on the low-cost part.

I doubt higher priced Telus/Koodo want to loose a ton of customers to PM (the same company)... Telus wont mind bringing in Freedom Mobile customers to PM (and thus trying to put a nail in the coffin of competition).

xtwister
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Glad i made the last batch of people who ported from wind on the $38 plan.

Very surprised by the new pricing structure.  I guess they dont want any new customers anymore -  maybe the last promo got them to their target of users.

RLBL

@WearySky wrote:

Also, I think the conspiracy theorists claiming that this is some attempt by Telus to sabotage PM, and force them to eventually close down, are HILARIOUS.  

Agreed. I do not think it is a conspiracy to sabotage PM... In fact, I think what is happening is the exact opposite.

It is the "Illusion of Choice" theory (not my term, but feel free to quote me lol): When a company owns two or more products (sometimes that seem like they are in competition). With this "choice" presented to the end consummer, they can present many brands of products in effort to keep the end-user purchasing from them instead of the real competition (another company).

In this case:
Telus provides a service, and presents another out there (Koodo).  Rogers, Bell, etc.. do the same.

Telus/Koodo brings PM into the fold (the same way Rogers/Fido brings in Chatr) giving people more choices (even at better prices!) .

The result:

People think they are making another choice... but they aren't... really.  There is just more chances that someone will choose your product (Telus) then another (e.g. Bell).

Now that those 3rd tier brands become viable options (people know people on the network and everything is fine), the price goes up to be more in-line with others (still a little cheaper, but closer) on the assumption that people still may choose it, because it is another choice.

Google "illusion of choice in consumer brands"... it is not something new.

So Telus out to sabotage PM makes no sense at all. There is another revenue arm that they would likely not want to bite off.  Just count yourself lucky if you are locked into a good plan.  It might have an impact on your referrals though (but then again, that is an excellent way to potentially make the plans cheaper which may still entice people to join even at these new rates)

GibsonSGJ

My current plan is 6gb LTE per 90 days, unlimited Canada wide calling and unlimited texting for $135, or $45 Per month. Under the new pricing, this plan will cost $195 per 90 days or $65 per month. I'm thankful that I can keep my plan at it's current price, but if I were not with Public Mobile already, I would most certainly not join looking at the other offerings available to me for $65 a month.

In Nova Scotia, currently Virgin mobile has a BYOD plan for $65 a month with unlimited Canada wide calling and 3+2gb (5 total) of data. Plus there is customer service (contact center) and store locations you can visit if needed.

Koodo has a 1+2gb (3 total) with unlimited Canada wide calling for $65 per month and Eastlink has a 2gb plan for $65, both with contact center and store locations.

I really don't see any reason for potential customers to choose Public Mobile now. We'll likely only see Public Mobile last as long as it is still financially viable to continue providing service to the existing clients.

ACTASWATER

More useless choices  and make formal good choice worse.

Not a good move. PM

@WearySky  This is part of the deal.   This is why we are chatting here. 🙂

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Grey market plans are only more expensive right now because Koodo doesn't have any promos going on for plans in QC right now (other than Tab Large).  Come back to school time, there will almost certainly be some fantastic new BYOD promos for Koodo in QC.

On the plus side, these new plans will almost certainly result in less activity here in the support forums, as less new customers = less newbies that don't understand PM's various quirks and foibles.  We'll have to start chatting amongst ourselves to keep those community bonuses up 😉

Re: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data
I suppose "grey-market" plans are also still an option. Seems that most of their rates went up in the past week or two as well (majority of their plans are resold Koodo plans, most likely from out of the regional market

The Grey market would ONLY work IF APPLIED with More Care, and Fair Assumptions

2.5 MB is out of order

The Slightly above Halfway point of total 3G speeds would have been more appropriate

You know what would be the ultimate safeguard, or Safety net, IF the CRTC/CCTS had the Reserved Power to actually Intervene, look at the Promos, Plans, Fees, and If Out of Sync, Give the Carrier's the allocated time to either correct, or Terminate the anomoly.
Just saying, I almost think that the 3G Plan stuff might NOT be 110% Net Neutral

Just a Different interpretation of Net Neutrality.
What Canada actually needs, Network Neutrality
So, 3G Speeds, If 2.5 when they can reach 21MB, well, that in my opinion would violate Network Neutrality

potato
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@WearySky wrote:

Also, I think the conspiracy theorists claiming that this is some attempt by Telus to sabotage PM, and force them to eventually close down, are HILARIOUS.  

So you think that PM released these new prices to be competitive? Their old prices were too low to draw new users? I don't think self sabotage could be any more clear. Whether or not it is about discontinuing PM is irrelevant. They just don't want any more ppl switching from Bell and Telus top tier brands. People are simply suggesting that discontinuing PM could logically follow as a longer term goal.

WearySky

Personally, I think that the Current 3G layout as it stands, That should be considered Double-standard, Subpar, Unacceptable and that Severe Consequences should be applied to ANY CARRIER that does this, UNLESS, Speeds were At a MINIMUM, 1-2 MB OVER the Halfway point of the 3G Threshold.
This 2.5 MB is more like a Serious Setback, like Consumers can Only Protest with Blindfolds over their Eyes.
My apologies for the Rants,Just we're seeing such a Awful change, I'm very passionate for Consumers Justice, and I feel the Consumer is no longer Relevant, or even a Sentient being. Perhaps I felt PM could have led the way to a New side of great things

WearySky

@xCameron94x - or start introducing referrals for the referee as well as the referrer.  That might entice some folks.

@SD08 - I've always got reasonable referral possibilities due to being so active on the forums over at RFD (I picked up a couple more during the Freedom promo).  They don't allow active solicitation of referrals, but just by being helpful I've managed to pick up a few here and there just by pointing people to PM's old LTE plans.  Sadly, I won't be doing much of that in future, so I'll have to settle for my current rate of $66/90 days going forward 🙂

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Hopefully we'll still see some great promos from time to time. When they're ready for more customers, they'll just launch a promo. Who knows lol

potato

bellus does not want new customers paying these rates. everyone is like 'wha wha, i wont refer anyone now, who would ever sign up for this!?' - That's the point!

that's exactly what they want. bellus is done selling plans at reasonable rates because they've cannabilized their high price user base. they did not anticipate the high response to this self-serve brand experiment, did the math, and decided it's time to stop offering cell phone service for less than they have to by virtue of their quasi monopoly.

SD08

@WearySky

Yeah, not that I had much prospects for referrals anyway, but what little prospect I had just went out the window.  Smiley Frustrated

Rockdaddy22
😂

@WearySky  They should at least increase the referral reward amount, because if by some mircale someone actually refers someone, they deserve more than $1 every 30 days aha

WearySky

Awful plans IMO, and incredibly bad timing to introduce them immediately after the Freedom 4GB for $40 promo (anybody that saw that promo, and now sees these prices, is going to be ESPECIALLY uninterested)... But hey, as long as you don't mess with my grandfathered $40 4GB plan, I'll stick around.  I just won't be referring any new people because it makes zero sense to do so, now.  

Rockdaddy22
Yes I've been testing it out extensively. It's not as bad as you'd think. Of course I'm not watching Netflix with all day lol

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
@905289
I've been streaming music with it, haven't noticed any issues, also no problem with podcasts.

@Rockdaddy22, you have been using the 3G that has been throttled down to the 2.5?  Still can't see myself going to it for more data and still having to pay more then the fall promo

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jshmeek

I suppose "grey-market" plans are also still an option. Seems that most of their rates went up in the past week or two as well (majority of their plans are resold Koodo plans, most likely from out of the regional market).

horemans
Same amount of data for a given page or video.. however.. it will take a lot longer to downloadb, so it will take a lot longer to use up your data bucket.. if you are a patient type 3G will last you longer (and test your patience).
We now have a choice.. PM slow or Freedom aggravation. Pick your test of patience / tolerance.

Crackmacs

Bingo @jshmeek. Loading everything way faster will lead to me just using everything more. Probably use 3gb alone per month in just Instagram stories. 

Rockdaddy22
@BMaloney why do you look stupid? They're prices aren't going to change. So you look pretty smart to me

Rockdaddy22
@905289
I've been streaming music with it, haven't noticed any issues, also no problem with podcasts.
Need Help? Let's chat.