Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective February 15th, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some important information to share with our Legacy/Pioneer customers. As a reminder, Legacy/Pioneer customers are those who continue to have access to the call centre and are on one of the five plans listed below.

• $22 Province-Wide Talk
  • $28 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $43 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $48 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $63 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

As you know, Public Mobile has been on a journey to become an online-only brand and give Canadians control of their wireless spend. Along this journey, we will need to make some changes to adapt. To that end, effective February 15th, 2018, all Legacy/Pioneer rate plans will increase in price. The reason for the price increase is simple: operating a call centre is expensive and, as the number of Legacy/Pioneer customers decreases, we lose the scale that has allowed us to operate it to date.

With that said, what we care about most is our customers and we want you to continue feeling good about your wireless choice, so we’ve worked with our sister brand, Koodo, to offer all Legacy/Pioneer customers a way to keep the same price. For a limited time, from January 10th to February 9th, 2018, Legacy/Pioneer customers can join Koodo with a similar rate plan that they have now with Public Mobile, at the same price they pay today. If you are a Legacy/Pioneer customer, you are eligible for this offer and you will be hearing from us over the next few days with details on how to take advantage of this deal.

If you are not a Legacy/Pioneer customer, this price increase and the above offer do not apply to you and you can continue enjoying your current plan.

To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/serviceupdate.   

Thank you for your continued support as we evolve and change Smiley Happy

The Public Mobile Team

313 REPLIES 313

@katiefleming still on LTE network, just Public will slow your speed to 3G

Public will still notify you on data use via SMS

chakri264
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Nice to see that PM is offering an alternative option and an explanation for why they are doing it. Great!

katiefleming
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@mimmoCan you please explain the LTE difference?? Is it the speed? Right now I think I get 4G when I'm on data. If I switch, does PM text like they do now when you're about to run out of data?

Thanks for your help 🙂 Want to think things through before I switch. I love my current plan so a bit hesitant. But if I can pay the same and have 1.5gb data extra then it seems like I should switch.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@katiefleming wrote:

@mimmoOh, thank you. What is the loyalty reward for? Good to know if I add 1.5gb data there's no extra charge....hmm....if I go over do I get billed for using extra data though?? If I run out of data before the 3 months can I buy an add-on like I can now?

@katiefleming loyalty rewards are for every year you have been with PM since the rewards plans started so in most cases it is 2-3$ for loyalty customers.

yes if you run out of data then you can either ask mods to renew your plan early (pay for another 90 days) or buy the data addon. 

the only difference is that your addon is currently full LTE but the data and addons under the new plan would be the 3G LTE speed, (not realy a big deal for low data users.

@kochovski Koodo CHARGES the client EVERY time they call in

@kochovski wrote:

And - if a call centre is costing them then how can Koodo offer a similar plan and operate stores?

@Shutdown they have $0 costs for call centre

The actual costs are in the training and support of the special cross trained Koodo reps who handled Public Mobile accounts when the call in

It sounds funny I know but after watching first hand the debacle with Virgin - Solo (and now presumably Lucky) teaching your call centre reps and supporting them is a major pain

katiefleming

@mimmoOh, thank you. What is the loyalty reward for? Good to know if I add 1.5gb data there's no extra charge....hmm....if I go over do I get billed for using extra data though?? If I run out of data before the 3 months can I buy an add-on like I can now?

Thank you!

People are on Public because it is PREPAY

I have never figured out why pushing the oldest clients to go post paid

@Pier wrote:

@Brooke_C

Just to let you know that legacy plan holders don’t want post paid plan. Asking them to move over Koodo is really disrespectful. Why they can’t keep their prepaid plan if they choose to move to Koodo? Because you just know what Koodo is preparing for them... overcharge them and after spoil their credits. You guys are funny.....

@imm1304 not sure on this

It may be a bug but I have seen accounts with more than $5 in Loyalty rewards

Could be a bug or could be something Public offered to get off Call Centre plans

@imm1304 wrote:

Just a clarification re loyalty rewards:  Loyalty rewards only count from the time they were introduced.  So that would be February 2015 (?) onwards and not more if you have been with PM from before that date.  

Legacy customers switching over to a rewards eligible plan can expect $3/30 days of loyalty reward starting from next month if I guessed the PM re-launch date correctly in the previous sentence.  Maximum loyalty reward would be $5/30 days after 5 years.  

kochovski
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

And - if a call centre is costing them then how can Koodo offer a similar plan and operate stores?

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Brooke_C I think the main kickback with migrating to Koodo is forcing them to go postpaid

I hope this time Koodo offer is for a prepaid Koodo account

mimmo

@katiefleming wrote:

@wetcoasterThank you for your reply! I don't need phone support. I've never used it with PM for the nearly 4 years I've been a customer.

Right now my plan is pretty amazing:

• Unlimited Canada-wide Long Distance
  • Unlimited global text messaging and picture messaging

I pay $28+ tax a month. WIth the increase it'll be $33/month + tax.

The plan you showed me would be ~$40/month (depending if I do 30 or 90 day plan). I need Canada-wide calling as my family lives in different provinces. I buy data as an add-on only when I need it, so I don't need it as part of my plan. (Although I see it gives me a discount for some reason and says $37/month)

So it's still $4 cheaper if I stay with my legacy plan (and have the price increase) then switching to a "new" PM plan (with the discount they put on the site).

Guess I'll stay with legacy!

@katiefleming  I think you are forgetting rewards in your calculation.

$105 /3 = $35 -$2(autopay) -$3 (loyalty) =  $30/month  as an added bonus there seems to be no additional cost  if you add 1.5gb /90  data.Screenshot (24).png

katiefleming

@wetcoasterThank you for your reply! I don't need phone support. I've never used it with PM for the nearly 4 years I've been a customer.

Right now my plan is pretty amazing:

• Unlimited Canada-wide Long Distance
  • Unlimited global text messaging and picture messaging

I pay $28+ tax a month. WIth the increase it'll be $33/month + tax.

The plan you showed me would be ~$40/month (depending if I do 30 or 90 day plan). I need Canada-wide calling as my family lives in different provinces. I buy data as an add-on only when I need it, so I don't need it as part of my plan. (Although I see it gives me a discount for some reason and says $37/month)

So it's still $4 cheaper if I stay with my legacy plan (and have the price increase) then switching to a "new" PM plan (with the discount they put on the site).

Guess I'll stay with legacy!

@canucks4life, thank you for speaking for me, however, please do not in the future.

I DO NOT want to switch providers.  I extremely enjoy Public Mobile.  I will not leave until I'm forced to do so.

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

They will continue to attempt to move everybody with access to the call center over to Koodo or Telus to continue to attempt to maximize the economies of scale that they were talking about that Public Mobile continues to lose for those who still have access to the call center. By having the option to switch to Koodo they loose futher Public Mobile call center scale, wanting to continue to move people over or continue to adjust there plan price up. It is a vicious cycle.

mimmo

@srlawren  sounds completely logical.  I think PM will eventually just say phone support is ended, and the phone support customers will just keep their plans or be transferred to comparible plans without phone support.  

As long as they inform the customers with  advance notice by email, text and post.  (the first two people might think are scams).

srlawren

@Shutdown wrote:

I don't understand shouldn't less people on legacy decrease cost due to less call volumes? So you would have less call center people then which would actually lower costs for call centers?

@Shutdown not necessarily.  Presumably, PM accounting using a portion/percentage of the plan revenues from legacy subscribers to pay for the contact centre for legacy subscribers.  As people move away to the legacy plans to current in-market plans or to other providers insider or ourside the Telus family of companies, that revenue pool decreases.  Sure they could and probably have reduced staffing levels at the contact centre since Feb 2015, but there's only so far you can take that while still maintaining an acceptable level of support for the remaining legacy folks.  And those staff still need a phsyical place to work with some amenities and alll the other overhead that comes with staff.

I'm sure PM's eventual goal is to have all of their legacy customers either moved over to Koodo, to an in-market PM plan without phone support, or in the worst case to a competitor, such that they can shut down the phone support entirely.  PM is not going away, but the phone support definitely is on its last legs.  I would think that they will offer this type of thing up a few more times, and then eventually draw a line in the sand and say after x date y months from now, everyone on legacy will have to choose an in-market plan or their line will be terminated.  Something like that.  Sort of like Telus and Bell eventually had to do with their remaining CDMA subscribers to shut down the CDMA network.  The analogy isn't perfect since PM will continue to operate with the non-legacy customers, but you get the idea.

All of the above is personal conjecture and opinion and could be totally wrong.  But it seems to fit with this continuing effort to move people out of their legacy plans.  I'd say PM is being much less heavy-handed than some!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Shutdown

"The reason for the price increase is simple: operating a call centre is expensive and, as the number of Legacy/Pioneer customers decreases, we lose the scale that has allowed us to operate it to date." I don't understand shouldn't less people on legacy decrease cost due to less call volumes? So you would have less call center people then which would actually lower costs for call centers?

imm1304

Hi @katiefleming!

I think the best value is in making the move to the 90-day unlimited provincewide talk and global text plan with PM.  

It costs $75 per 90 days.

You can enrol in autopay for $2/30 days reward.  

You also qualify for the loyalty reward, which according to my calculation will be $3/30 days from next month.  

So, at the very latest, from March 2018, you can expect to pay $75 - 6 - 9 = $60 every 90 days.  You can verify this by sending a message to the mods before making a final decision.  

Since you are here on this community forum already, you can easily get help when needed by asking the question here or sending a private message to the moderator team.  Big majority of us here are doing just fine without the call center access.  

@katiefleming wrote:

So it is still worthwhile to stay with PM and pay another $5/month than switch to Koodo? I'm so frustrated.

@katiefleming

It really depends on your needs. And how important phone support is for you.

This is the (nearly) equivalent in-market plan at Public Mobile.

With your loyalty ($3) and autopay ($2) rewards it comes to $30/30days.

Screenshot-2018-01-10-13.44.jpg

If you rarely call to destinations outside your province you could go with unlimited province wide talk and global text for $75/90days before rewards (comes to $20/30days with rewards) and combine it with a long distance add-on ($8 for 200min, $15 for 400min, the minutes don't expire).

If you choose to change to an in-market plan you need to call *611. They want to make sure that you understand that you'll loose the phone support.

Michael77
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Sounds like a good option to have.

katiefleming

So it is still worthwhile to stay with PM and pay another $5/month than switch to Koodo? I'm so frustrated.

shartomjam
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
 @edisonmarshall if you will switch to the new plans you will got $5 less for loyalty program & $2 for auto pay & if you will make 90 days plan its will be less & if you will be in coomunty often you can got up to $10 a month & for refering you will got $2 a month for a freind

More corrections - The reward for referring a friend is $1/month and only Oracles can earn rewards of $10 - the rest of the community can earn up to $6/month rewards depending on your activity level and a number of other criteria.

Rabbi

hi @imm1304 thank for let me know this update

Pier
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Brooke_C

Just to let you know that legacy plan holders don’t want post paid plan. Asking them to move over Koodo is really disrespectful. Why they can’t keep their prepaid plan if they choose to move to Koodo? Because you just know what Koodo is preparing for them... overcharge them and after spoil their credits. You guys are funny.....

imm1304

Just a clarification re loyalty rewards:  Loyalty rewards only count from the time they were introduced.  So that would be February 2015 (?) onwards and not more if you have been with PM from before that date.  

Legacy customers switching over to a rewards eligible plan can expect $3/30 days of loyalty reward starting from next month if I guessed the PM re-launch date correctly in the previous sentence.  Maximum loyalty reward would be $5/30 days after 5 years.  

@Rabbi wrote:

hi @edisonmarshall if you will switch to the new plans you will got $5 less for loyalty program & $2 for auto pay & if you will make 90 days plan its will be less & if you will be in coomunty often you can got up to $10 a month & for refering you will got $2 a month for a freind

Rabbi

@edisonmarshall wrote:

What a load of garbage they made you post.

"Operating a call centre is expensive and, as the number of Legacy/Pioneer customers decreases, we lose the scale that has allowed us to operate it to date."

They haven't had real call centres basically since the company was acquired by Telus almost 5 years ago. It's just been a slow way to fizzle out PM, they just didn't shut the company down in hopes of keeping those customers and not losing them to competitors. In theory all (couple thousand) PM customers have already migrated to Koodo and are now paying more for the same service and there is not a "call centre" specifically for PM, so the line about scale is irrellevant.

Telus just isn't making the same amount of money as they could be with Koodo/Telus plans, so having PM isn't lucrative. 

They won't give you the same price for the same plan, it is similar. And eventually they won't offer that price once you're with that carrier. 

It's business but I just don't like the blindfold they try to put on customers. 

Offer real deals to those customers like myself that have been with the company for 5+ years, then we'll talk.

hi @edisonmarshall if you will switch to the new plans you will got $5 less for loyalty program & $2 for auto pay & if you will make 90 days plan its will be less & if you will be in coomunty often you can got up to $10 a month & for refering you will got $2 a month for a freind

edisonmarshall
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What a load of garbage they made you post.

"Operating a call centre is expensive and, as the number of Legacy/Pioneer customers decreases, we lose the scale that has allowed us to operate it to date."

They haven't had real call centres basically since the company was acquired by Telus almost 5 years ago. It's just been a slow way to fizzle out PM, they just didn't shut the company down in hopes of keeping those customers and not losing them to competitors. In theory all (couple thousand) PM customers have already migrated to Koodo and are now paying more for the same service and there is not a "call centre" specifically for PM, so the line about scale is irrellevant.

Telus just isn't making the same amount of money as they could be with Koodo/Telus plans, so having PM isn't lucrative. 

They won't give you the same price for the same plan, it is similar. And eventually they won't offer that price once you're with that carrier. 

It's business but I just don't like the blindfold they try to put on customers. 

Offer real deals to those customers like myself that have been with the company for 5+ years, then we'll talk.

Rabbi

hi @katiefleming call in your local koodo store about the detals for old pm custmer what plan will you got

katiefleming

Hey guys,

Hoping someone can help me. I've been with Public Mobile for 4 years now. My legacy plan ($28/month) was just increased by $2/month not that long ago, and now it's being increased by another $5/month I see. Really not happy to hear this......

I don't like Koodo with the tab feature. I don't know what their new plan includes but the text I got from PM said "similar" plan.

Does anyone know exactly what it entails if I were to switch?

What do you recommend? Thanks very much.

Need Help? Let's chat.