cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada’s Alert Ready + Test Alert Schedules

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update: To view the alert schedule for your province or territory please click here

Hey Community,

We wanted to let you know about an upcoming SMS you will receive regarding Alert Ready. Alert Ready will broadcast emergency alerts to inform you of critical or potentially life-threatening situations that require immediate attention to keep you and your family safe. As of April 6, 2018, Canada’s Alert Ready service will be available to compatible mobile devices. To learn more about the Alert Ready service and what devices are supported, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

180 REPLIES 180

I just got it.

mli
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My husband and I have the exact same phone, HTC One M8. He's with Fido and I'm with Public Mobile. He received the alert and I didn't.  Neither of us received the alert.  😕

koimr1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dna2016 wrote:

Wow, did not expect this much activity around this Test Alert, even people at my work are asking about it and whether everyone got the message.  I mean is it really that important?  Don't see why this is drawiing so much attention, is it really going to make that much a difference?  I mean, most of the time, if not all the time, we know when bad weather is coming, it's not like this alert will inform us when an earthquake is coming.  When something like a terror attack occurs the bad deed would have already occurred, and we'd all hear about it in no time.  Unless someone doesn't have access to a TV or news type app, not sure how this will be of much benefit.  Were people not coping to this?  A bit unneccessary if you ask me.

Now if some monster came from outer space, then I can see how this would be of some use, I would definitely need to pull my car over immediately for that one.  This is so unnecessary, in my opinion.   

From the alertready.ca website the intention is that if you get an alert message you are in imminent danger RIGHT NOW and it can't wait until you are near a TV or radio, etc.

With a possible terrorist attack the point would be warning you before it happened, not afterwards.

Another situation would be if a child was reported missing from a mall everyone in the area would get the alert and hopefully be on the lookout - time is of the essence with that.

So I disagree - I think it's useful as long as it remains true to its intentions.

Feralwoman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi:

I'm rather worried that I didn't receive an Emergency Alert System alert from Public Mobile. 

I DO have a compatible phone. 

I've referred other people to PM and so far 3 of us have NOT received an alert. 

Please advise!!! 

Thank you. 

"The purpose of a test alert is to comprehensively verify all system components so that in the case of a real threat to life situation, there is confidence the emergency alerts will be distributed successfully."

Obviously it's a work in progress, lol.  They'd rather not discover faults in the system while it's actually needed to control damage, prevent disaster, or save lives.

No alerts received on my PM phone, nor (as far as I could tell) on any of the Telus/Koodo phones at work ... although three guys (using Virgin and Rogers) simultaneously paused their work to check alert notifications, lol.

@will13am wrote:

I get the suspicious feeling that Telus the system had some kind of issue with sending out this alert.  A number of colleagues with the Koodo and Public Mobile did not receive anything.  We have a diverse enough representation of iPhones and various android phones to rule out hardware as the issue.

Apparently the problem isn't the providers...

"CRTC spokesperson Patricia Valladao says the problem did not originate with cellphone service providers — it appears the snafu occurred between emergency management in Quebec and Pelmorex Corp., which operates the system."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/public-alert-system-quebec-1.4651551

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I get the suspicious feeling that Telus the system had some kind of issue with sending out this alert.  A number of colleagues with the Koodo and Public Mobile did not receive anything.  We have a diverse enough representation of iPhones and various android phones to rule out hardware as the issue.

MF
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm on an iPhone 6s plus in Toronto. All news reports indicate that the Ontario tests went out properly, but I did not receive the alert ready test signaI. I did, however, recieve a notification about the alert from the weather network app. Smiley Frustrated

cody
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

None of my phone received. HTC 10 and Iphone X

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kav2001c  soooooo true.

Wow, did not expect this much activity around this Test Alert, even people at my work are asking about it and whether everyone got the message.  I mean is it really that important?  Don't see why this is drawiing so much attention, is it really going to make that much a difference?  I mean, most of the time, if not all the time, we know when bad weather is coming, it's not like this alert will inform us when an earthquake is coming.  When something like a terror attack occurs the bad deed would have already occurred, and we'd all hear about it in no time.  Unless someone doesn't have access to a TV or news type app, not sure how this will be of much benefit.  Were people not coping to this?  A bit unneccessary if you ask me.

Now if some monster came from outer space, then I can see how this would be of some use, I would definitely need to pull my car over immediately for that one.  This is so unnecessary, in my opinion.   

I have not received anything either.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

thank you for all of your replies! I am currently forwarding all of your info as I don't have more details at the moment. The thread will be updated once we have news! 

Respectfully,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

ronster

@Mary_M wrote:

Hey everyone,

Thank you for raising concern with us !

It has been reported that multiple users did not receive the alert ready text, including myself. After a little bit more research, I did figure out that there was a delay with the province of QC. This is not a network issue, "but was between emergency management systems in Quebec and Pelmorex Corp., which operates the system." Check out this article I found: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/emergency-alert-system-test-failed-to-reach-cell-phones-in-quebec-1.3918...

Also keep in mind that only compatible devices will receive this test and certain criteria are in place, such as having the latest software on your phone. 

'More details to come!

Thank you,

Mary

@Mary_M, does that mean we'll still get the test alert later if it's a delay?

Hence why they test the new system

We shall see

@Wonder_why wrote:

Not good systems fail on testing 😋🤔

911onFire

Both my phone and my mom's (also on PM) didn't receive the alert. I'm on the 4g LTE in the GTA.

@Mary_M wrote:

Hey everyone,

It has been reported that multiple users did not receive the alert ready text, including myself. After a little bit more research, I did figure out that there was a delay with the province of QC. This is not a network issue, "but was between emergency management systems in Quebec and Pelmorex Corp., which operates the system." Check out this article I found: https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/emergency-alert-system-test-failed-to-reach-cell-phones-in-quebec-1.3918...

Also keep in mind that only compatible devices will receive this test and certain criteria are in place, such as having the latest software on your phone. 

'More details to come!

Thank you,

Mary

@Mary_M, the impact could be more than just in QC.  I received nothing on my phone.  I am in the GTA. 

rwboyd

ikr?

Wonder_why
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@traycer wrote:

@Wonder_why wrote:

OTOH, the test identified a problem, so that's good. 😁

Some devices got the alerts 😃

ronster

No notification on iphone 6+ and iphone x running latest firmware.

I assume there is nothing needed to be set on?

The only notification I got was payment alert from PM telling me my payment is due in a few days lol....

traycer

@Wonder_why wrote:

OTOH, the test identified a problem, so that's good. 😁

allycia416

I'm in Ontario with a ZTE axon 7 running Android 7.1 and my phone was radio silent even though my settings were on for emergency broadcast. 

Wonder_why

@rwboyd Huh !!! Wow

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

No message received here.  Ontario.  Samsung S7

rwboyd

Sony Xperia X Compact 

I've received these tests before..

Wonder_why

Back to the drawing board 😃

@Wonder_why wrote:

Wonder_why

markuswarren

I'm in Ontario, and I did not see the alert. Device is iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 11.3.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey everyone,

'More details to come!

Thank you,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

Wonder_why

@MikeRaff wrote:

No notification on iPhone X.

Neither me on S8 plus 😋

mercurystar

No notification on iPhone 7

Need Help? Let's chat.