cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Re: Alert Ready Test on May 8, 2019

They need to start send alerts only to the region effected, I dont need an emergency warning going off every time something happens in Toronto if I am in Ottawa.

@Klane, wow dude..a little harsh eh?  The last one happened in Toronto, and the child and mother were found just outside of London.

These alerts are for everyone to receive, and it's not just the Amber Alerts.  Weather warnings, terror attacks, etc... anything for someone, or everyone in the eyes of Public Safety.

Not when they wake you up at 2am.... again I dont care if a tornado hits Toronto.

I know it's for all types of alerts andI can read about it in the news if I want, I dont consent to having an air raid siren in my pocket that goes off when it's not effecting my region.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Klane wrote:

Not when they wake you up at 2am.... again I dont care if a tornado hits Toronto.

I know it's for all types of alerts andI can read about it in the news if I want, I dont consent to having an air raid siren in my pocket that goes off when it's not effecting my region.

I think it is already region specific.  I don't think the tornado warning in Ottawa last year was sent elsewhere.  Amber alert may have a larger area as the kidnapper may be on the road for several hours...

@Klane, well you're out of luck, unless you flip your phone to connect to 3G only.

The way the system is designed, if you're on LTE, and your phone working (ie powered on), you're going to get it whether you want it or not, or there's a problem reaching your device when triggered.

This is Canada Wide, and it is forced on you.  If you don't want it, connect to 3G, get rid of your TV, your radio, and your phone.

@zork1984, the notifications seem to be Provincewide, rather than smaller regions.  Possibly Ontario *could*  be broken up smaller, but why bother?  It's an emergency alert - we're all getting it (if issue do not prevent the notification).

@stonechucker wrote:

@zork1984, the notifications seem to be Provincewide, rather than smaller regions.  Possibly Ontario *could*  be broken up smaller, but why bother?  It's an emergency alert - we're all getting it (if issue do not prevent the notification).

I literally just said why bother.... I dont want to be bothered by alerts in another region or woken up. I AM all for putting amber alerts on the highway signs or the police know where they may be headed target those areas... they dont need to broadcast it to people that are in thier house... I wont be able to help from my bed.... and I dont want them waking my family or upsetting my kids for no good reason.

@Klane,  I'd rather be notified if there's something that I could possibly assist in.  The last notification in Ontario was an afternoon alert, from Toronto, and the alert was cancelled after they were found (safe) in London.  If I had been out-and-about while the car cruised through my area, I may have had information to provide.

If you really don't want this, change your Network connection to 3G service only or ancel your cell phone and your TV service, and do not turn on your radio.  That is the only way you're not going to get these notifications.

1st world problems can be dealt with easily - just stop paying for the service that provides you with unwanted stuff.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Klane  They really should have 2 types of alerts: Amber & Emergency.

That said, I heard you can turn off the sound on your phone. You'll only see the onscreen alert, but not hear it.

@Daphne1, according to the information on the website I’ve previous referenced, you can not silence the alerts.  They are designed to force sound on even when silenced by the user on the device.